Wall Street Protests Enter 11th Day

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Trippy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I came across this on facebook, with regards to the occupy movement in NZ:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And what is wrong/funny with the the protestors opening their own bank if they are so inclined? The protestors are not against banks. They are against the abusive practices of big money and crony capitalism. It appears you have a monumental and fundamental misunderstanding of the movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism

What I find interesting is how you can be so blind you your own hypocrisy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

AFAIK they are growing in strength and certainly in economic impact as they start to hit commercial targets:

12Dec11 western ports blocked briefly.

“…More than 1,000 Occupy Wall Street protesters blocked cargo trucks at some of the West Coast's busiest ports Monday,
    forcing terminals in Oakland, Calif., Portland, Ore., and Longview, Wash., to halt operations.

While the protests attracted far fewer people than the 10,000 who turned out Nov. 2 to shut down Oakland's port, organizers declared victory and promised more demonstrations to come.
    "The truckers are still here, but there's nobody here to unload their stuff," protest organizer Boots Riley said. "We shut down the Port of Oakland for the daytime shift and we're coming back in the evening. Mission accomplished."

Organizers called for the "Shutdown Wall Street on the Waterfront" protests, hoping the day of demonstrations would cut into the profits of the corporations that run the docks and send a message that their movement was not over. …”
    From: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57341895/occupy-shuts-down-3-west-coast-ports/

Also there is :
    “…From Long Beach, Calif., to as far away as Anchorage, Alaska, and Vancouver, British Columbia, protesters beat drums and carried signs as they marched outside the gates. … In Oakland, several hundred people picketed before dawn and blocked some trucks from going through at least two entrances.

A long line of big rigs sat outside one of the entrances, unable to drive into the port. Police in riot gear stood by as protesters {see photo below} marched in an oval and carried signs. Protesters cheered when they learned about the partial shutdown and then dispersed. Shipping companies and the union agreed to send home about 150 of the 200 morning shift workers. ..."

-------------

I know from direct experience that moral arguments, prayers, etc. rarely produce social change. If you want that you must peacefully make “economic pain” for those resisting the change. Even Gandhi did with his march to the sea for salt and calling on other Indians to NOT “buy British.”
    What I fear with the occupy movement is that anarchist etc. will turn it violent with Malakoff cocktails etc.

For more on the restaurant open effort in Baltimore and it long term effects See: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2771288&postcount=87
    So long as the Occupy People only peacefully protest, carry signs, discuss the injustice of an ever widen income gap, the probable collapse of the "consumer driven" mass production economy, the downward shrinking of the "middle class", etc. without making "economic pain" nothing will change and they will fold their tents and go home to watch the collapse of consumer buying and the US economy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  8. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No Billy, even in the article you posted:

The realities were the protests were brief and unlike last time:

Which means they aren't likely to get longshoreman support the next time they try this stunt.

And

So no Billy they are not growing in either strength or economic impact.

OccupyWallStreet.org was one of the internet's 2,500 biggest sites just two months ago but just last month it was down to the 6,613th and by Dec 9th it was down to the 17,412th

Of course if they change their focus they might do a bit better:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/216409.html

LOL

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think this closing of West Coast port was their first and only economic impact. Can you name a prior own? If not, then their economic impact is growing.

You seem to have missed the main point of my post, why I told about how Baltimore's Restaurants were opened to blacks. I.e. large numbers carrying signs, mass marches, pray-ins, etc. rarely achieve any lasting results - Economic pain is normally required for change. That is what strikes are all about.

10. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope

Why yes, I can.
    It was in my post:

Where they closed the port for the entire day instead of just the morning this time.

So no Billy, NOT growing.
    Shrinking

Yeah, and OWS has caused almost NO economic pain to anyone and it would appear almost NONE to the people on Wall Street they claim is their target.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If the larger Nov demonstrations at Oakland port did close the port, then you have a good point. It is my understanding that the port continued to function (most gates were open) despite the large demonstration at one gate. I.e. this smaller demonstration caused the port operators to send 150 to 200 day shift dock workers home - the trucks could not be unloaded. When they left, so did the occupy people.

Wall street can feel economic pain even if it directly effects a company on the West Coast. To make pain directly at NYSX one would need to make a computer virus attack on the trading system or something like that.

I am not encouraging the Occupy people to make "economic pain" as I continue to think that a depression in the US and EU is inevitable - I predicted, when GWB still had two years remaining as POTUS, that this depression would quickly follow a run on the dollar, which I predicted would occur on or before Halloween 2014. His many bad decisions (favoring the already rich, un-winnable wars, less SEC regulations, etc.) caused purchasing power of salaries to decline, increased unemployment, started two recessions while he was POTUS and I believe made a run on dollar & depression "inevitable."

Hence I call it GWB's depression, but few others will - the POTUS when it occurs will get the blame. IMHO, Obama's fiscal policies can best be understood as and effort to delay it until he is no longer POTUS, even though these policie will just make the depression worse and longer lasting. Obama is very optimistic. Perhaps he sincerely believes he can make the economy recover with a flood of printing press dollars, but he can not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Occupy protesters to be evicted from Aotea Square

The Auckland Unitary Authority (no idea what they're actually calling themselves these days) did what the DCC should have done in the first place, the sought a permanent court injunction against the protestors.

Meanwhile, Occupy Dunedin dispersed yesterday.