Warning: A Word Of Advice

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Reiku, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Tabloid Edition: Polonium 210 and CigarettesSo, yes, there is polonium 210 in your cigarettes. And no doubt it is dangerous (for some value of danger) for it to be there. But what we want to know is ...
    timworstall.typepad.com/timworstall/2006/12/polonium_210_an.html - 58k - Cached - Similar pages

There. Now Parents... get a grip.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Reiku...there is Americium in the smoke detector, and smoke detectors are everywhere in our houses....OMG OMG REIKU what are we going to do? We ARE GOING TO DIE....OH NO...OH NO....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

And another:

Transform Drug Policy Foundation: Media Blog: At last! polonium ...In a rather depressing development, apparently a government TV ad that highlights the fact that cigarettes contain polonium-210 has been pulled because ...
    transform-drugs.blogspot.com/2006/12/at-last-polonium-210-in-cigarettes_12.html - 117k - Cached - Similar pages

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Do you not care for human life? Are you so ignorant that you would force several packets of cigs down their throat..??????

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Reiku, you have undone yourself by the very reference you provided! Shot yourself in your own foot and don't even realize it!!!!

As that little link points out, it's practically nothing compared to the common, everyday background radiation.

Do you not even have enough personal integrity to now admit that this whole business of yours is pointless, unsubstantiated and worthless? And as to your claim that you have scientific evidence - phooey! You have nothing and should admit it.

As I already stated, the biggest dangers from smoking are from the nicotine present and the tar which contains the proven carcinogen benxo-(a)pyrene.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

Polonium-210: A Volatile Radioelement in Cigarettes -- Radford and ...Polonium-210, which emits alpha particles, is a natural contaminant of tobacco. For an individual smoking two packages of cigarettes a day, the radiation ...
    www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/143/3603/247 - Similar pages

Read --

Actually, if you force a child to smoke a great quantity of ciggs, in contrast with making an adult do it, there is a greater chance the child would die.

Simple, and now on ignore.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've NEVER advocated forcing a child to smoke!!!! The very thought alone is abhorrent to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop trying to put words in my mouth, Reiku, and pay MUCH more attention to details before you start telling the whole world how to behave.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But Reiku, I even asked you if you were certain and you stood by what you said. :shrug:
    Its just that as a scientist you have to be certain and check. I'm not a scientist and I checked. What if i had passed that info on to all the people I know. I would have looked like a damn fool.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Remember what I told you before (twice) about his lying? He didn't check anything. In fact, this whole thing he's created is just another big, fat, misinformed lie.

As has been said before, he doesn't even know the difference between "science" and "a séance."

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

Jesus Reiku, as has been stated, it's Polonium 210, and you'd have far more to worry about than radiation, if you made a kid smoke a bunch of cigarettes.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

I have only begun chemistry at college. I mixed two words up/ A fact of life, is that a scientist makes errors from time-to-time... something which Read ignores in totality.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

I agree. But you obviously haven't computed that i admitted getting two chemical compounds wrong, and neverthless, makes no difference.

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

if i caught my kids smoking i would kick them from here till next week!!

i would never make them smoke dozens of cigerretes!

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You STILL don't get it, do you?!?!:bugeye:

I let you off the hook on the mixup in the names - but it still doesn't matter. Except for the fact that it's horrible to force a kid to smoke (still makes me shudder thinking about it!!!) EVERYTHING else you've said here is pure nonsense!

18. Reiku Banned Banned

Now, that's where LA HIT IT ON THE NAIL. I never proposed many here have, but i am 99% sure that there has been a few. It was only a warning, and that's all it was meant to be.

19. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It's like warning about over-sweating from heat if you stand too close to a nuclear explosion.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Except, at Hiroshimo, the levels where something like greater magntitudes, than that oF some renedial over-sweating, when taking into the current residual ratio of radiation now in Hiroshima and Nagasaki

I think, its something like \(10^{35}\) time more radioactive than a simple ciggarette. But when you make a child or teen with low body mass, even this small amount of p-210 can indeed kill a child, if forced to smoke i should imagine, something equivalent of several packets.\

It's horrible, i know. But some parents do actually do this to teach a lesson...

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

how do you know? And you better not say you heard it on TV. You heard it was plutonium as well.

22. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Exactly, hence my analogy relating your worrying about such and such radiation with a worry about oversweating at nuke-explosion. Sure, they're both true, but they're both a little silly and superfluous.

As a tangent, when I was about 13 or 14 I decided to chain smoke an entire pack because I was a moron and to see if I could do it. I felt like shit for hours, but I'm still alive (and, I like to think, pretty healthy).

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Since we know cigarettes contain P-210, a deadly poison, akin to ‘’Digitalis’’, a South American indigenous plant also known as the ‘’Fox-Glove...’’ It grows quite common here in Scotland* when in respect to how the effects alter the motor-functions of the body. Does the poison affect the brain, does it affect the respiratory system, does it shut down your liver or what? Which area of the body does it target directly or accurately that causes death?

• Digitalis, is a poisonous plant, that is quite tall and very pretty… some who know quite a lot about such conditions, nature does use colorful expressions, as a sign of warning… but,.. never mind that… The drug itself Digitalis, thins the blood system, and can drown the brain with oxygen, and cause many possibilities, such as instantaneous coma, to death itself... Of course… all drugs like this, such as Asprin, a compound taken from the Willow Tree, also thins the blood composition, and even though these two drugs operate in differential chemical reactions, they do in the end give the same result on the human body; only difference is, is that the Digitalis is something \(10^5\) times more potent than a single Asprin tablet when thinning the blood..

The point is, is that a human, can in fact eat at least three petals of the Digitalis, and still live… but this is, and I stress again, only permitted for an adult, with a large body mass content. The reasons why here should be obvious.

The levels of P-210 is sufficient to give a child quite a high probability, if despicably subjected to smoke several packets that he or she could die… since P-210, isn’t only one of the most powerful and discrete radioactive substances on the Elementary Table, it is in fact a massive dose of P-210 for a child.

In possibly a more simpler explanation:

Chemically-induced toxicity may not always be the issue, when concerning the above. But I do argue that a large enough amount of P-210 is ingested, it contributes a massive amount of radiation to the nervous tissues. Which effectively, damages the brain.