Warning: The Gov't just lost a round

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

http://www.drcnet.org/wol/#fccruling

For my first drug-related complaint of the new year, I will overlook the coming Ashcroft-nightmare and instead note that Czar McCaffrey's attempt to buy out the media has finally settled its first round in court.

Allegations made at Salon.com last year alleged that television programs including Beverly Hills: 90210 and magazines including The Sporting News submitted script, article, and editorial material to ONDCP for review to see whether the content met certain criteria. Once the criteria were met, ONDCP relinquished its federally-guaranteed advertising spot in the show so that the producers and the network could sell it for full price. (Congress passed a law ordering networks to sell 2-for-1 advertising to ONDCP, I think, in '96 or '97.)

I've just finished searching the ONDCP site ( http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.org ) and am currently unable to find the *.pdf to register your publication or television program for advertising kickbacks, but I have somewhere a printed copy of it. When I find the address, I'll cough it up. An interesting note, though, as I searched through their site, was that their media plan is not a .pdf or .html page, but a big-ass *.ppt (Powerpoint) presentation of eighty-some slides; it's a great marketing tool, but it's kind of ridiculous when each slide you click puts a single line of new text on the page (as is the case with the Table of Contents).

But, when you see certain shows, look for tiny pre-broadcast disclaimers perhaps buried in the opening credits, and possibly as a blatant warning on the screen, depending, I suppose, on the producer and whether or not s/he's on the Fox Network. Start with Spelling shows; like we really needed ONDCP involvement to tell us that old man's a whore. Of course, I would submit that Spelling shows, lacking quality in general, need as much support as they can get. I wonder if he would have put the money out for Tori if she was busted for cocaine? Or would he have blamed the media culture?

But, my fellow Americans must now be warned when the government is paying for the privilege of writing their favorite television shows. I guess it's like anything else. If I see something that stupid, then I can look away. At least now we'll know who's selling out to the government.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths.--Denis Diderot

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Education (TV) is a tool of power. Is it not, Tiassa?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Doesn't that make Aaron Spelling downright sinister? And the Bloodsworth-Thomasons, as well ....

Can you imagine Rupert Murdoch teaching your children?

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Malaclypse Perturber Registered Senior Member

bunch 'o fools.

8. sift Registered Member

Tiassa, you have exspressed all my opinions, and formed new ones, with your really well thought out topics and replies. Keep up the good work.

9. discord5 Registered Senior Member

fnord

anyone know the concept of a fnord ?
    if not look it up.... might apply here

10. rich68 Registered Senior Member

time to take a chillpill

why have one,when you can have many!