Was Saul of Tarsus an Undercover Agent for the Roman CIA?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by River Ape, Dec 7, 2017.

1. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I pretend to no in depth knowledge of early Christianity, but a friend whom I have always found to have a more profound understanding of those times surprised me by informing me that he doubts that Saul’s conversion on the road to Damascus was genuine. I had not met this theory before.

Is it indeed possible that there was a change of policy in Roman ranks, and that Saul’s instruction to persecute the Christians was countermanded? Knowing of Saul’s acting abilities, was he instructed instead to penetrate Christian ranks; to become an informer; to guide the Christians away from being a possible revolutionary threat; and to imbue a spirit of docility and self-sacrifice towards the Romans?

Of course, there is a tradition that Saul/Paul was beheaded in Rome, though no contemporary record of such an event exists. If it took place, could it have been the result of a coup or powershift within the Roman Intelligence Service? One knows of several instances when America’s CIA has turned upon and destroyed a former agent. What do you think? Can we really be certain one way or the other?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

The same thought has crossed my mind a time or two. After all, Paul was trying to destroy the new religion. And most of the new testament is about him rather than Jesus. Maybe he succeeded.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My guess is that the story is (at least) embellished. A dramatic conversion is more impressive than a thoughtful one.