Watching nature videos makes prisoners less violent

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

It is known that prisons weren't designed for comfort, and one could argue that access to nature is one of many pleasures that convicted criminals forfeit. But mental illness is a growing problem in prisons, mainly because of solitary confinement (a staple of maximum security units) that has been shown to cause mental health issues, or when preexisting, exacerbate them. And it turns out that isolation from other human beings might not be the only factor. Researchers in the field of ecopsychology believe that nature deprivation can also damage mental well-being.
    That concept resonated with the administrators at Snake River Correctional Institution in Oregon who were struggling to address violence and suicide among their most troubled inmates. So they decided to explore novel solutions.
    In 2013, after consulting with a variety of experts, they created a library of 38 nature films that included ocean, forest, and river scenes. The films also included cloud fly-throughs, space images, and even a fireplace with burning logs. They installed a projector in one of the indoor exercise yards and painted the walls blue to improve resolution. Inmates were allowed to choose a nature video to watch during their usual recreation periods.
    They called it the Nature Imagery Project, and it seems to be working.
    The results were striking. Inmates who watched the nature videos experienced reduced aggression, distress, irritability, and nervousness. And overall they committed 26 percent fewer violent incidents than those who didn't.

http://www.popsci.com/nature-videos-make-prisoners-less-violent

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

I wonder if they have there prison ministry, means teaching the bible the quran buddhism and hinduism

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Prisons usually offer religious services, pastors, priests, imams, rabbi's, etc.. Who usually go there and speak to the prisoners and sometimes provide counselling and the like.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

New
    Hi all. I am Billy`s wife. I am sorry to inform that Bill has died on Ago/05. I ask you plese to post this new to all members of the group. Thank You.

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Billy T will be missed.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

Mam. my condolences