We are made of star stuff.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

An informative article................
    http://www.sciencealert.com/this-awesome-periodic-table-shows-the-origins-of-every-atom-in-your-body

This awesome periodic table shows the origins of every atom in your body
    We are made of starstuff.

BEC CREW
    23 JAN 2017

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here’s something to think about: the average adult human is made up of 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms, and most of them are hydrogen - the most common element in the Universe, produced by the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago.

The rest of those atoms were forged by ancient stars merging and exploding billions of years after the formation of the Universe, and a tiny amount can be attributed to cosmic rays - high-energy radiation that mostly originates from somewhere outside the Solar System.

more at link.................

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-awesome-periodic-table-shows-the-origins-of-every-atom-in-your-body

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oystein Registered Senior Member

No shite. Wow, you should at least acknowledge that Carl Sagan gave us the phrase "we are all made of star stuff" -- not you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I have, many many times.
    I like the phrase and I often use the phrase, particulary in debates with god botherers.

I have also commented many many times that Carl Sagan was the greatest educator of our times.

He also said......
    “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
    Carl Sagan: Cosmos

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

What kind pendeja expression is that.

8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I thought Joni Mitchell said it first.

"We are stardust, we are golden
    We are billion year old carbon"

9. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

...so...at least as far back as ~99 years ago...

January 29, 1918...Albert Durrant Watson :
    "It is true that a first thoughtful glimpse of the immeasurable universe is liable rather to discourage us with a sense of our own insignificance. But astronomy is wholesome even in this, and helps to clear the way to a realization that as our bodies are an integral part of the great physical universe, so through them are manifested laws and forces that take rank with the highest manifestation of Cosmic Being.
    Thus we come to see that if our bodies are made of star-stuff,—and there is nothing else, says the spectroscope, to make them of—the loftier qualities of our being are just as necessarily constituents of that universal substance out of which are made.

“Whatever gods there be.”

We are made of universal and divine ingredients, and the study of the stars will not let us escape a wholesome and final knowledge of the fact."

- 1918 March, The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Volume 12, Number 3, Astronomy: A Cultural Avocation by Albert Durrant Watson, (Retiring President’s Address, Annual Meeting, January 29, 1918)
    ...from page 89, at Link : https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b2924694;view=1up;seq=99

Ophiolite likes this.
  10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I always prefer though we were born in the belly of stars!

Star guts is all we are!

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

What do you find foolish about it?
    How else can you build an apple pie from scratch?

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I thought we were vomited out

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-topics/earth/pale-blue-dot.html

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I think Neil Degrasse-Tyson put it something like that.

15. river

Nothing new

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I was going to have carved on my tombstone

' Any day you wake up is a good day
    Today I didn't wake up '

But think I might change it to

' Ashes to Ashes
    Dust to Dust
    Stuff that
    I'm Star stuff
    I'm going back to the Stars '