Welcome to sciforums 3.0!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Porfiry, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Welcome to the third iteration of sciforums, everyone! Hopefully the changes around here are not too disorientating for long-time sciforums folks. This upgrade is quite welcome as our old forum software was definitely starting to show its age. The new software brings some new features, though at the present time many of them (such as user 'reputatation' and similar thread grouping) are not yet exposed.

The aesthetic changes are quite clear. I am attempting to craft an interface that maintains a certain minimalism, as opposed to the visually overloaded and crowded forums that are all too common on the web. The emphasis here ought to be on the discussions themselves, and the design strategy should reflect this. The current aesthetic is very much a first iteration, and I will continue to refine it.

Currently, subscriber-benefits such as avatars are not working. This stuff will have to wait until this shakedown is complete.

The important thing to note is that both feature-wise and aesthetically this is just the very first step. Expect to see more changes in the coming days and weeks. Any feedback at this time is very much appreciated.

Dave,
    Admin

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

This sounds very good. This may sound dumb but the layout of the archives is pretty sweet....streamlined and clean...any chance that style maybe an option for main sciforums?

Also why isn't the WYSIWYG working?

Also what is this reputation buisness?

Good job on the upgrade even though everything is so big (Is that on purpose or is my browser not fully compatible with the upgrade?, i am getting huge fonts here)

I like the new style but i can't but feel that it feels a little too....childlike...with the glossy smilies and the huge fonts showing members names and the awesome sciforums logo gone only to be replaced with the dull looking one...but i am pretty sure that will get replaced.

Still consider the arcive layout as an option though...please.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I like it. Well, the control panel is gone... And it's a bit confusing (It's been the same since I joined - 2001). But it's nothing that I won't get used to.

I don't like the smilies, except this one :bugeye:. All the others are weird looking.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yeah...that too...bring back the old smilies please...pretty please

As for control panel Coffee..just click on your name on the main page.

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Sarg.

Dave, I love the new moderator options (i.e. "reason for deletion" field box).

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Mother Macree!!!
    This greyness!
    This whiteness!
    It's killing me!
    (Ok... I'm being stupid)

Any chance the background color changing feature will be back?
    Or that it's there already & I just haven't found it?
    I somehow can't think of the place in the same way without a nice BLACK screen to look at!
    :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I must say that I like it!

The UserControl Panel thing threw me for a second, too, but I clicked on my screen name and... presto!.

I actually like this Control Panel much better!

I'm with these guys on the smilies, though. The new cool looks too punk

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Black screen? Try blue! Blue is better, at least I think so.

Where's the "View New Posts" button? Will that be back?

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Guys, i think a lot of stuff has yet to be set in stone and implemented. The upgrade is done but i doubt everything has been put into place.

13. RateLimit Registered Senior Member

...look forward to seeing a whole bunch of threads about the change

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

I can't do that, David.

15. lethe Registered Senior Member

i like the minimalism approach. as little as possible should get in the way of the discussion.

one of the things i really liked about the old format was how almost the whole page was devoted to the text of the thread. here, with the new layout, there is some space between each post in each thread. on my screen, the space between posts takes almost as much of my screen as the posts themselves. meaning i cannot read as much of the thread at a time.

also, is it possible to make the text field for entering entries larger?

16. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Wow, look at me, my posts are in blue. Aren't I special.

Anyways, to allay any concerns, let me (re)assure everyone that much of this design is still in flux. I intentionally opened things up in the middle of the design process so as to get better feedback. There's still a lot about the design that I personally don't like, but there's also a lot that I really do like.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

God, I'm such a nerd. I'm all excited about these new features that we have...

I can't control my giggling. Dave, you have managed to make me giggle with excitment.

*Teehee* Look, a dog with a puffy tail!

18. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Great.

Editing is enhanced and made easy. The title & subject for the post cannot be given now.? & How to logout.?​

19. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Um, that's why.

20. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I wanna appear in blue... Or a nice purple.

Hey Porf, where's that one section, we seem to be missing a section. I mean, I think we are.

21. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

I am attempting to craft an interface that maintains a certain minimalism

it seems you weren´t successful

i hate v3

22. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

Hi
    Sciforums, either with the old format or with the new one, is a lovely place to exchange views and express ourselves. It is appealing to me, though I was a bit amazed when I clicked on. Any way I thank you very much. Thanks and a Big Quack - Quack

23. Bells Staff Member

Hmmm ok. I don't mind the changes. Actually I think it all looks pretty good. Some things will take some getting used to, such as the control panel not being on the top, but it looks fine and the reply to thread page is quite well laid out. Ummm the smilies are a tad strange though. Most of them are amusing but some are... well...

looks like Hitler

looks like it's got a cut lip or is eating something red and raw... LOL

well this one looks.. well it just looks strange.. LOL

hehehe... the grinning smiley looks kind of cheesy if not a tad sleazy and the 'eek' smiley has lost it's big eyes... I liked the big eyes.. heh

And the rest.. well the rest are amusing and will just take some getting used to. But other than that, it's all good!