What’s the future of Modern science, expandin or gettin extinct ?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by geek, Sep 19, 2013.

1. geek Registered Member

Is the science (as we know today: Modern Science), kinda just like an another new religion on the block (just abt 250 yrs old). And what's its future (with the way it's now), expandin (bein ever popular) or more like other extinct religions of the past (gettin complex, gettin too many unanswered questions about life) gettin extinct?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Science is basically the opposite of religion, so no.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

Don't worry about science or religion. Worry about your spelling.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

I really don't think so . Science does not bother my faith . In many occasion science have strengthen my faith . Of course if you use science to disprove deity then you constantly will challenge the faith of the individual

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

:bravo:

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Exactly, which is why religions are all about what people want to believe as opposed to what a deity wants them to believe. As medieval beliefs are put to task and shown to be little more than myths and superstitions, we find believers scurrying around trying to change their belief systems to fit the facts. It is so laughable.

10. arauca Banned Banned

I know there is one heaven and one earth , and I call who initiated life on the earth God, and he put His spirit into man, God is creative and so man. I have not seen Him but I feel comfortable believing in Him and obeying his commandments.
    Now you tell , how the earth was made and how life started .... Remember I believe, The fact that are available for you , many of them I am familiar . In my view I can not agree that we know on how beginning . You apparently know , so I am in the dark , so please enlighten me.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Of course, you haven't seen God, you were indoctrinated to believe all that nonsense.

I have no desire to write endless pages in a vain attempt to educate the scientifically illiterate and religiously indoctrinated. Enlighten, indeed. LOL.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Science and the scientific method have risen from the ignorance and the will to want to know and gain knowledge from the wonders of the Universe that surround us.
    Ancient stone age man saw magic in all around him, and invoked God in the form of rivers, mountains, the Sun and the Moon.
    Science has long since answered these questions for us, and have shown that there is really nothing magical in the Universe around us, and that it can all be explained reasonably logically based on the evidence we have observed back to at least 13.8 billion years to what we know as the BB.
    Galileo used such observation to show us evidence that the Earth was not the center of the Universe/Galaxy or even just our solar system.

Science will continue to show the way, with more observations, looking even further afield, revealing more and more information and reality about the Universe around us.
    If science dies or becomes extinct, so to will the human race.
    I don't believe it ever will though. The incredible benefits of science, the sheer magnitude of its logical applications, and the position it has now put humanity in, is fuel and thirst for even more knowledge and observations even further afield to answer the questions that are yet to be answered.

Science is bound to take humanity to the planets, stars and even beyond, given time, and science will even extend that time for humanity using the advanced technology to avoid catastrophic scenarios that may well confront us one day.

Without science, man will stagnate on this fart arse little blue orb, and eventually wither away and die.
    He may as well return to the trees from whence he came out of a few million years ago.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Until and unless science can show us evidence of the how and why of the BB, and a valid cause and effect relationship, the science will never disprove a deity to explain it all.

But as I have just posted elswhere, science will continue to push back the need for a deity.
    If science strengthens your beliefs that's fine.
    But please, don't ridicule scientists who would rather keep delving for a more valid acceptable solution to unanswered questions....Not saying that you particularly are, but it does get really boring when so many threads end up as arguments/wars between those that accept a deity and those that dont

14. Mazulu Banned Banned

A lot of times religious belief is about what people experience. And those who don't, don't understand. Those who don't often feel left out and have to ridicule others.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, it isn't, it's all about indoctrination and confirmation bias.

16. Mazulu Banned Banned

That actually sounds like your atheist indoctrination. I can honestly say that God and other spirit beings have visited me. Sorry if they don't known where you live.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you are not honest about that.

19. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

no. science changes, is based on evidence and makes predictions. religions do none of those.

its future is rosy. unanswered questions are the lifeblood of science.

20. arauca Banned Banned

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

hey arauca;

Are you suggesting that the future of modern science be always open to the idea of spirituality? The only problem with that is ...who's spirituality should it be open to? Spirituality is subjective, as we know. Science ceases to be science if it starts to mirror religion.

It's one thing to believe that faith and science can coexist, but another to expect atheists to be open to spirituality when it comes to scientific reasoning.

22. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

but we don't. us atheists usually keep quiet about religion until someone like you pollutes a thread with it then we do have something to say. you are well known for this tactic arauca and make a habit of this disingenuous line.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Fault lies on both sides.
    You do remember the persecution of Galileo don't you?

But the strict "straight down the line" mainstream cheer-leader scientist is just as annoying as any YECs or door knocking seven day adventists.
    Me??, Yep, I'm a mainstreamer, but one with an Imagination that is able to form a view that ETL elswhere overwhelmingly should exist, even though the "straight down the line"mainstream answer is "We do not know"
    I base that belief on simply the stuff of life being everywhere we look, and the near infinite numbers and near infinite extent involved. Ideas, Imagination are sometimes sort and found outside the square.
    Scientists should not be afarid to venture there when required.

I believe the belief in a deity is a reasonably personal choice for an individual while important unanswered questions exist.
    As far as I'm concerned that belief is as good as any other speculative scenario, even my own beliefs that our BB was just one of many that arose out of the quantum foam.

And before any straight down the line mainstreamer feels the need to castigate me on beliefs in science, I should remind people of what another great did say....
    "Anybody who has been seriously engaged in scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: Ye must have faith. It is a quality which the scientist cannot dispense with"
    Max Planck:

He also said words to the effect that "Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of that mystery that we are trying to solve.
    Not sure I agree with the above quote though. Given time we should just about achieve anything. [Me thinking outside the square again

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

]