What am I looking at?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Bowser, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Wonderful pictures. Thanks to each of you. I might invest in a small telescope in the near future. The object caught my curiosity. The star seems to be sinking behind my neighbors house and won't be in view after a couple more days.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Bowser google "Stelarium".
    It is a free program and you will find your answers and objects to view if you get a scope.
    The key to star gazing is to allow your eyes to dark adapt which means staying in the dark for thirty minutes.
    You will find binnos will show a great deal when dark adapted.
    If you are serious about a scope get a 6 inch reflector on a Dobsonian mount and you will be hooked.
    If you like looking at a pile of bricks and seeing God then looking at a star cluster or globular cluster you will find wonderful.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. el es Registered Senior Member

At 10PM I grabbed the binocs and took a quick look at M6 and M7 in Scorpius. They aren't much to see with binocs.

M8 in Sag. is much better.

http://www.skyledge.net/Messier8-hop.htm

The moon is coming in from the right and will wash out some of the fainter objects in a few nights.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

In a dark location and with good dark adaption you see them nicely.
    I can see many objects in a dark local without binos.
    Here is my M7 rendition.
    The colour may be off but I love the action here.
    Alex

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. el es Registered Senior Member

Messier object M8 in Sagittarius is a naked eye "fuzzy" and a likely candidate for what Bowser saw.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Maybe of interest to you.
    Why the July 27 Lunar Eclipse Will Last So Freakishly Long

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The longest lunar eclipse of the 21st century is coming on July 27, with a totality set to last a full hour and 43 minutes over Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. Nearly 4 hours will pass from the moment Earth's shadow darkens the leading edge of the moon to the moment the moon's full shine returns, according to Earthsky.org.
    https://www.livescience.com/63101-why-longest-lunar-eclipse.html?utm_source=notification

10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you.
    Alex