What are AV receiver and AV amplifier?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Saint, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

I already got subwoofer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. perplexity Banned Banned

Delete

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's basically (bassically?) true. Electrostatic ribbon speakers are the newest thing, and they're fabulous for mid to high range and they have the advantage of being a line source instead of a point source which makes them somewhat less directional. But even our six foot tall ribbon speakers have conventional cone woofers in their bottom.

However, I don't think woofers have to be as large as was once thought. When I first started playing electric bass guitar in the early 1970s, cabinets with one giant speaker were in vogue. I had an 18 inch speaker and I knew guys with 24's. (This was of course when you could play a club gig with a 75-watt amplifier instead of the 400 watts everyone now uses to destroy their fans' hearing and add $300 a month to the club's electric bill.) Today, they just use an array of 12's and there seems to be no detectable difference.

8. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

yes, you tuck them right out of the way

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

What the hell?

13. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

14. Saint Valued Senior Member

VSX-515-S

A 6.1-channel A/V receiver complete with Auto MCACC and the latest surround formats-including WMA9 Pro, Dolby Pro Logic IIx,DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS 96/24

Features
    Maximum power: 120W x 6ch
    Auto MCACC (Multi-channel Acoustic Calibration System) setup with 5-band EQ (Mic included)
    WMA9 Pro
    Built-in DTS/DTS-ES/DTS 96/24/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Digital/ Dolby Pro Logic IIx/DTS NEO:6 decoder
    5.1-channel input (DVD)
    Digital Core Engine with Motorola 48-bit Processing DSP
    192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
    Advanced Surround: Advanced Movie, Advanced Music, TV Surround, Sports, Advanced Game, Expanded Theater, 6ch Stereo, Phones Surround, Virtual Surround
    Pioneer Hybrid Amplification

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

basically if i want good sound i can put them out in the open where ever in the room i want as they are wireless or if i dont care about the sound too much i can put behind corners etc so they are hidden

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

I heard that the blue-ray DVD will pack more sound tracks and required a revamp of Amplifier design, that means we got to upgrade our amplifier when the blue-ray format becomes common and replaces the current DVD9.

17. Saint Valued Senior Member

What is THD0.04% and THD0.7%?