What are Ghost/spirits made of?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by JordanTredray, Sep 22, 2017.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Peace of mind.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, that scenario was taken from X-Men First Class (what the Nazi's did to Max Eisenhardt in order to try and get his powers to manifest, ultimately ending in them killing his mother in front of him, which caused him to snap and, well... if you've never seen the movie, I recommend it)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Regarding reproducible evidence,

I agree that if something is repeatable and subject to controlled scientific experiment, it is likely to be accepted by science. That acceptance might be slower and more troubled if it contradicts too many strongly-held preexisting beliefs.

But I'm less comfortable with any suggestion that if events aren't 'repeatable' then they can't be real and must be met with sarcasm and ridicule.

I'm inclined to accept the possibility of one-off events (certainly one-off in our limited experience) that aren't repeatable on command or otherwise observed to repeat in nature. I remember arguing this point regarding radio emissions received from outer space on a single occasion, never to be duplicated. The origin of life and the big bang might be other examples.

Ghosts seem to be located midway in that spectrum. Reports of apparitions are common throughout history in pretty much all known cultures. Reports of their occurrance come very close to being cultural universals. I think that's fascinating in itself and perhaps worth more scholarly attention than it typically receives.

I'm most inclined to interpret them as subjective psychological phenomena. Photographs and so on seem to argue against that interpretation, which is why I find them interesting. I'm always interested in finding good convincing physical/instrumental evidence of ghosts and other 'fringe' beings.

But apparitions don't seem to be conjurable in a laboratory on demand. They happen when and where they happen. So they aren't repeatable in a strict bench-top sense, but may well be repeatable in the sense that supernovae are, where astronomers just have to wait for one to pop off.

Magical Realist likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

There's an XKCD for that!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

[ Title text: If it were a two or above I wouldn't be able to answer because it would mean a pause in the screaming. ]

https://xkcd.com/883/

sweetpea likes this.
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would argue that ghost hunting is repeatable. Every time a legitimate researcher goes to record the physical sensory effects that people report, they get nothing. Therefore ghosts probably don't exist.

Gawdzilla Sama and DaveC426913 like this.
  9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Yes. What about all the well documented locations said to be overloaded with ghost

Ghost ghost ghost as far as the 3rd eye can see except when any sort of sensitive detection equipment turns up. That is the time ghost take time off or go on strike

Perhaps the owners of the equipment should sell the equipment as "ghost repellent"

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ghosts are repeatably detected on infrared cameras, evps, audio, video, vibration detectors, and emf monitors. Hundreds if not thousands of investigations have proven this. You'd have to be living in a cave to not know about this by now.

11. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Then why aren't they considered to be ordinary, mundane, natural phenomenon that people study legitimately?

Science would jump at the chance to learn more about the natural world and how reality works. Think of all that Nobel Prize money...

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Yes complete with paintings of caveman dinosaurs but nobody believes my caveman dinosaurs are the real deal

Just like scientist don't believe the hundreds or even thousands of captured images are ghost. I wonder why?

Could the explanation be (gasp) they are not genuine? Not mundane?

And again not repeatable. If they were repeatable the TV stations could set up a running series

Anybody know if there is a Guinness Book of World Records for the most photographed (or detected) ghost?

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Dunno, but they taste like chicken.

sideshowbob likes this.
  14. timojin Valued Senior Member

Believe it or not. it is made out of Neutrinos !!!

15. Thomas Cranmer Registered Member

Not necessarily. There are subatomic mass-less particles. Perhaps ghosts are made of mass-less spirits.
    We need more data in order to come to a conclusion.
    If I was a ghost, I would approach some scientist and offer to provide evidence of the supernatural. He or she would get a Nobel Prize.
    I certainly wouldn't rattle chains in a castle to frighten some old woman.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If they can be seen, they are either emitting photons, or causing hallucinations. Hallucinations have several plausible naturalistic explanations. Photons can be detected and photographed.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

They are by paranormal investigators and parapsychologists. Study up on it.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

And can you give me a number of how many of paranormal investigators and / or parapsychologist have won the Nobel Prize or even been nominated?

19. river

None

Which proves that the mainstream science has limited understanding of the Natural Universe .

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it's a process of discovery.

21. river

True

Ghosts and Spirits are a process of discovery .

Both have always been .

Both have energy

22. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

explain?

23. river

Ghosts have an energy , they manifest because either they don't know they have passed or they don't want to .

Spirits are an energy , life energy , that is about the soul .