What are the questions science cannot answer?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Mind Over Matter, Aug 27, 2010.

1. IamJoseph Banned Banned

I think that everything works on the same premise. The everyday actions and occurences reflect how the universe originated and operates. By reductionism, a house or car we built, or how a pineapple grows, or how an offspring is producted by the chip of a duality - are mirror images of a universe design.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IamJoseph Banned Banned

What is the alternative? Light is a product of the uniuverse components, it had to come [separated] from a mush of the original universe stuff, when scientific laws were ushered in: however else!? :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IamJoseph Banned Banned

The best scientific appraisal here is that microbes are programed to consume what they do. A cow can obtain all its protein from hay, while a lion cannot. When examined further, we find the cow possesses a four-latered stomach, able to churn and rechurn hay, equipped with an enzyme which can extract and/or convert hay to protein.

The same premise will apply with certain microbes. Here, the notion this purposeful and complex engineering is random and/or environmentally impacted - has to be the most ludicrous, science busting premise ever imagined. I am certain Darwin was a Lefty Liberal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IamJoseph Banned Banned

I don't think its that simple, though those science books will have us believe it is. Firstly, there has to be a means of identification between two entities - we know this because certain particles will not align with others. Next, there has to be a potential alignment, namely the two entities can favourably blend with positive results - we know this from the repeatable patterns of alignable particles always blending with specific other parties. Its not random: lions and zebras do not blend. The entire construct smacks of a pre-programmed directive!

8. IamJoseph Banned Banned

Absolutely - no confusion from a scientific and mathematical analysis. We are it.

Greasy, star trek bryclream reasoning. There are no imprints of other life in the known universe for 13.4 Billion years. Not all space bodies are too far and too new in ratio with known mental prowess advancements. Correct math negates any plausability factors, and the sole possibility factor relied upon - vastness - is superfluous when a first hand survey poll says: negative.

Science is a new faculty; not just for humans being aware of it, but at one time scientific laws never existed. Once all the universe's componenets was a mush. Then laws were ushered it - and those laws turn all facets of the universe. Today we call these laws as science; in ancient times they were seen as occultism.

More than finding other life - it will be a greater paradigm shock when we factually realise we are the most advancement beings in the universe, and its up to us to have dominion of all the rest. Its a very lonely and confronting thought.

9. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

Ah, do you believe in God and creation and think this is all just for us? Well if we are all there is what is God?? You missed the point entirely I see in either case, either way whichever path you choose to take you in fact are not alone. You can either depend on God or you can depend on mankinds collective understanding of the cosmos.

But back to the fact that so far your correct we are alone. However would you place much faith in predicting the answer to an equation in which you didn't have all the variables? Of course not, I plainly said we cannot know after all we have explored next to nothing of even our own solar system.

I am a unique creature, I am very fond of both science and faith. I see the best of both of them, I see plainly both have flaws and both have advantages. Most organized religions however I do see as problematic, a source of persecution against people who don't "share the faith" or at the least a source of intolerant behavior. The catholics seem to be learning how to get along with the rest of the world, but I can't really see any other major religions giving anyone else a right to have their belief respected.

So long as someones interpetation of the universe doesn't harm us or cause us to be discriminated against unfairly, then live and let live. Now when your science or your faith starts telling you that other people are somehow less than you are, then your perspective is a danger to all and false.

See even asking a simple question sparks strong debate and ill feelings! Sadly I don't see much hope for world peace in my kids lifetime.

I've tried to play devils advocate before and normally I end up getting beat up by both sides lol, so I'll just leave you with that thought. Sharing your faith or sharing your science is one thing, tearing down someone elses perspective in a disrespectful way.. thats just not cool right or wrong I think. I'm not saying you are doing that I haven't read all your posts I'm just stating how John Doe normally reacts in these kinds of debates.

This kind of stuff can lead to enlightenment or to war.. depends on how people treat each other right.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM A MODERATOR * * * *

As usual, Joseph is pretending to be an expert on a topic about which he knows virtually nothing: science. In this case, biology. He has already made a fool of himself by claiming that pigs are the only artiodactyls that don't chew their cud (the hippopotamus also does not.) On the heels of that embarrassing failure, he's back with more religiously-inspired bullshit about the same group of mammals: artiodactyls.

Anyone with a passing interest in zoology and the ability to read objectively knows that the key to the ability of artiodactyls to digest cellulose is symbiosis. The secret to their digestion is not an enzyme; they have a huge gut full of specialized bacteria.

Of course all vertebrates have a bacterial culture in their intestine. This is why taking antibiotics can give us diarrhea: it kills off a lot of our bacteria so we can't digest our food efficiently. Humans are carnivores with a relatively short intestinal tract compared to the other apes, and we have to eat yogurt or take probiotics to rebuild the culture. This is also why dogs and other canids eat the intestines of their kill and even the stool of other animals: their intestinal tract is so short that they need help maintaining a culture at all. If you feed them cheap commercial dog food full of preservatives you're killing off what little culture they have and they run right out looking for stool to eat.

However, in artiodactyls (cows, deer, giraffes, etc.) the process is more complicated. The bacteria don't just help them digest their food, they digest it for them. They process the cellulose as food and use that food supply to reproduce inside the mammal. In effect, they're turning the cellulose into protein: more bacteria. Then the mammal digests the protein. This is a very slow process so they have an extremely long digestive tract including a multi-chambered stomach, and they pass the food back and forth. Some species (but not pigs and hippos) even regurgitate it and chew it some more until it's totally digested.

All mammalian grazers (animals that eat plant tissue comprised primarily of cellulose) do this to a greater or lesser extent, using a symbiotic bacterial culture in their intestines: perissodactyls (horses, rhinos, etc.), elephants, even manatees and gorillas. Virtually no vertebrate has the ability to digest cellulose without symbiosis.

So please don't pay attention to Joseph, our resident bible-thumping lunatic. He knows nothing about science and he's just trying to mislead you. He will be taking a well-earned vacation now for his latest exercise in idiotic trolling. I'll check his ban cycle, perhaps this time, finally, it will be permanent.

11. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

You call it light, which is property of what we call tejas ie energy. Energyless, matterless vaccum can produce only mind boggling posts like yours.

12. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

I am sure Jo is clueless, and so are you. You like most in the west live in b/w world.

Hindus believe in God, but not in creation ex nihilo. Period. For them belif in God does not translate into creation. They in fact believe in EVOLUTION and dissolution of universe. The former is there before your eyes only if know a bit of cosmolgy.

Whast is God? Of course sum total you, me and every Jo, animate or inanimate. Period.

I believe in God but my God does not ask me to dependent on Him. He gave us will, intellect, mind and limbs etc for working toward our advancement.

13. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

So you are saying I am clueless because Hindus believe in evolution? Sorry I'm not following you at all, I adhere to evolution as well. But you are proving my point in effect I think you are saying your God is better than mine....

FYI I am agnostic I just see a need for people to try to put differences aside and tolerate each other. I am happy that you are so secure in your definition of God, me though I'd like to believe I am not about to say there is a God or not I simply don't know.

I believe in mankinds advancement and I hope one day we don't need a God as a species. However some people do need some kind of assurance that things are under control, that our existence is more than a random chance that could be snuffed out any second (which it very well may be). Whether that desire for security presses them to God or Science I believe is a matter of environment. In other words if you have a chance to be highly educated you are more likely to be comfortable in science, however if not if you are dealt a hand in which work takes the place of study.. then maybe science is beyond your grasp and you lean towards religion.

I don't see how such a tolerant stance can be seen as a b/w perspective! See this is what I mean I catch it from all sides trying to respect differing views lol.

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

ok..now this i will argue with..
    why is it that religion is general says that life on other planets equals no god?
    and if you quote bible, i would argue the bible was created for us humans not other life forms..(like writing a math book for cooks..some things don't apply)

yes as of right now there is no proof of life on other planets..but that does not negate anything undiscovered..nor does it account for the drake equation

actually i believe (and this is just my opinion) that if intelligent life were found on other planets ..then that would reinforce any beliefs i have in god..
    how can we be so arrogant to think god is just for us? why do we keep making god our personal wish machine?

also of note..joseph has been banned..i do not agree with ban because of differences in opinion..but i do agree with the ban because several ppl has asked him to moderate himself and he has not..

15. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

Thats the point I was trying to make to the guy, if there is a God then there is in fact extra terrestrial life. Actually the Catholic Church has announced belief in life outside earth is not incompatible with a belief in God. Most rational christians leave that door open, some however prefer the thought of its all for us I guess.

16. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Hi cracker,

I don't know if you've read enough yet to realize it, but neither Joe or rc know anything at all about physics.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Joseph obviously doesn't know anything about biology either. In fact, based upon his posts, I'd say he doesn't know anything.

19. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

dhcracker

I suggest that , if you want to discuss extraterrestrial life and intelligences, you start a new thread, in the cosmology section. It has been done before, but if you word your query a bit differently, I doubt anyone will mind, and it is always a good topic for discussion.

With Joe gone from here, we may see this thread dry up. Not a problem!

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

he brought up some different takes on issues..but he doesn't know how to shut up and let things sink in..i think (as usual in here) he was trying to make it about him being right and everyone else being wrong..when a person does that, any understanding gets lost..
    he may be wrong in alot of what he says, but it may be the seed that causes someone else to be right..
    (i still like the ONE arguement though..hmmm)

21. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

Wow, well I'll accept the advice and from the sound of it that hit a few nerves and offended a few people.. I'm just going to go back to my little corner now I'm not brave enough to start an entire thread that will end up with me being crucified LOL

I'm sorry if I came off snobish NM, wasn't my intent heck I should have been more humble and politicaly correct dancing around that minefield.

Stimulating discussion though!

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

since when does that stop anyone from posting?..lol

snobbish? dunno about that..
    politicaly correct?..see above comment....

i started a thread.."the ONE"..need help describing what its about..

23. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Please do not try to put woeds in my mouth. I said that?

You to your brlirf, me to mine.

As if you don't work to attain sceintific knowledge. Whenever you read a book, is it not a deed, an effort, work or Karma done by you? Chance to study was not the lone reason I became an engineer. I had to slog for years to achieve it.

I will you how. A thesis has been made here that believers in God ARE believers in creation too. WRONG, sir. And as you said "some"; good to shift stance a bit. After all some are not ALL.