What are your favorite things about where you live?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Why do you live where you do? Would you live anywhere else? What are some of the things about your area that make you happy to be alive? Experiences? Photos?

ajanta likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ajanta Registered Senior Member

I thought about it and simply found that it should....be all those things about my area. So I don't diversify.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Life is Fatal. Valued Senior Member

I really like having the city, beach, desert and mountains within a drive. What I dislike is the cost of living. It was once very affordable, but now retirement here seems impossible.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm a few hours drive to the sea, a few hours drive to the mountains, it rarely snows here but when it does it isn't to much but just enough to make everything turn a beautiful white. We have 3 lakes around me which their are boat rentals, I'm only an hour away from a major airport so when I want to travel I'm very close, the taxes are low, the streets are nice without to many potholes, there are plenty of places to eat, my doctors are all within a half hour drive and the hospital is about the same distance. My neighborhood is quiet and very laid back with mostly blue collar workers. It is a nice place to hang my hat. I'm alive and that's about as good as it gets for the other way I wouldn't be able to enjoy all of the beauty I see around me.

How about you, why not post answers about yourself?

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I live in Portland Oregon--60 miles to the coast and 60 miles to the mountains. I like that it is on a river. I like the culture here. Very environmentally conscious. Very progressive. Great public transportation. The live music scene is very eclectic and cutting edge. They show artsy and independent films at many arthouse cinemas that serve beer and wine and pizza. The food scene is exemplary. Food carts are the big thing here, which I like since I don't like sitting in restaurants. We have lots of rain in winter, but it only makes the sunshine that more special. Not much snow, which is good for driving. Portland prides itself in its weirdness and free spirits. Tolerance for quirkiness and diversity is at the max. Festivals galore and concerts and lectures. I love my town!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. origin Trump is the best argument against a democracy. Valued Senior Member

I like the 4 seasons and the 'real' winters. I like the hills and the large amount of wildlife in the area.
    I particularly like that there are no UFOs here, they can be such a bother.

ajanta likes this.
  10. river Valued Senior Member

I like my province of Ontario , Canada

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I live on the coast in Sydney with a beautiful surfing beach at my door step, yet still within an hour and a half's drive to the stunning Royal National Park and about the same distance to the Stunning Blue Mountains.
    Live anywhere else? I also have a home in Fiji and could consider living there once the better half retires.

12. Bowser Life is Fatal. Valued Senior Member

Dude! We're neighbors! I haven't been anywhere much lately (not even in town). Yet Oregon does have a character all its own. What's your take on the "Art Tax"?

13. StrangerInAStrangeLa SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It is too hot here.

<>.

14. kx000 Valued Senior Member

It's my home town. I have lived norcal all my life. It gives locals passive style.

15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Heh - so do I.

ON is just 20 minutes West of me. I gotta guess the 'river' is the Thames.

When I was a puppy I dated Sarnia girls, had friends at U of W, sold art in Ontario...still do. My mom taught at U of Western Ontario in London. My third 1 man show was in Gadatsy gallery on Yonge St in Yorkville (TO). For the last 25 years I have been painting a series of oils on canvas based on Superior shore landscapes around Wawa (N shore Lake Superior between Sioux Ste Marie and Thunder Bay)

I enjoy ready access to the Great Lakes and the surrounding natural areas. Upstate NY is an easy 2 day drive (I don't go very fast any more) as is the N shore of Lake Superior. London is a couple of hours away and Toronto is a bit further. So is the Bruce Peninsula and the greater Bancroft area - "the Rock Hounds Paradise". I have a variety of back country trails nearby and the local nature preserve is less than 1/4 mile from my back door.