What are your thoughts on internet bullying?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That's pretty broad.
    No one should react in anger based on that general a description.
    Need details, context.
    Otherwise, it's just knee-jerk, band-wagon-jumping.

Seattle likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Basically gut reaction. Your definition of a bully will be different to mine so don't discuss that it would be pointless and troll like.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Reading between the lines, I believe you are referring to river. In that instant it first must be realized that this is first and foremost a science forum and as such [even in the alternative and pseudo sections] all claims need to stand scrutiny and abide by the scientific method. river's dreams, imaginations, and general word salad, do not conform with that standard. This is why people get very short with him. Although I must say at this stage, that Dave has treated him with the utmost considerations and courtesy, giving him ample opportunity in explaining and offering reasons for his general outlandish claims. He has literally bent over backwards for him.

Bullying in general is something I never stand for, and probably explains why I do get into the occasional scrap on this forum. Sometimes expressing opinions of how political correctness in all its forms is sometimes taken to extreme [which I have expressed] draws the ire of some, and then the usual unsubstantiated claims or insulting remarks start flying as agendas are exposed.

Other times, more subtle bullying is obvious with the general wording and reply/s using unnecessary pedantry to attempt to belittle someone in particular, or the more snide childish attempts of humour, with another being the butt of such jokes.
    Sometimes bullying is driven by self delusions of grandeur. Whatever form it takes, I abhor it and will most likely reply in kind.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with discussing.
    There's nothing that says I won't listen to your logic and change my opinion.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

What has Dave got to do with it? This is a "Free Thoughts" forum.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm simply expressing the fact that DaveC426913 has been more patient with him then anyone, cool and calmly answering his question/s. And what does he get in return??Trolling and game playing. If you cannot see that, then my friend you are totally blinkered.

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

What's that got to do with bullying?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You didn't have river in mind re this subject of bullying?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It's been a while since I've been in this thread, but I still lean in agreement with post #4 - bullying, whether online or offline, tends to show itself as targeting someone. It's usually not random, which is why it would be considered bullying. (in my opinion) I guess someone could be a bully and randomly choose new ''victims'' to bully, but of what I've noticed about bullies, they tend to target those that they feel are weaker than them, so that they can appear superior. And it becomes a consistent thing for them. Sadly, I've even seen this go on in the workplace.

davewhite04 likes this.
  13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What is more common online is for a bully to object when they get the same bullying reaction from those they pick on. A bully generally can dish it out but can't take it.

If no one reacts harshly to a bully, the bullying activities continue and that is what they count on.

wegs likes this.
  14. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

I have noticed that science forums with political sections tend to allow much more bullying than science forums that don't have political sections.

While my personal observations are from a small sample (<10) size the amount of overt bullying in the non political site is negligible compared with the political science forums.

These noticeable difference gives you a greater understanding of how widely people use political arguments (fallacies, ad hominems, bullying etc) in science forums and certainly make you wary when politicians and 'scientists' get together.

davewhite04 and wegs like this.
  15. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

In my high school years I was mercilessly teased and socially excluded and I believe it was because of my physical appearance.

I also suffer from depression and sometimes even have mood disorders because of the Hell I've been though during my school years.

I've also been called ugly multiple times, both on the Internet and behind my back and I believe that that is part of the reason why I'm still a hopeless kissless virgin and why I still can't get laid.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Sorry to hear that, pluto.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Steve Buscemi is about as ugly as they get - and he still (apparently) has no problem with women.

18. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Yes but he is very rich and famous so that doesn't count.

And btw Steve Buscemi is not that ugly, I've seen uglier people.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. billvon Valued Senior Member

What do you mean it doesn't count? You said that the reason that you've never met any women is that people call you ugly. LOTS of people have called Steve Buscemi ugly - so there are other reasons.
    Oh, he's pretty ugly. He was ranked #4 on the "ugliest actors and actresses in Hollywood" list on IMDB. Heck, that's sort of his thing - he's refused to get his teeth fixed because he thinks there's a niche for ugly actors.

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Sure, Sam Buscemi isn't physically attractive ...but he's cerebral, witty, and makes a ton of money. Sometimes, all of that balances out when a guy isn't good looking. Not even so much the money part, but I imagine the fact he is a successful Hollywood actor, helps his social life. He seems interesting, anyway.

@ pluto, I imagine that going through all of that childhood bullying scarred you, and perhaps caused you to see yourself a certain way. It could be that your past is infecting your present, and your lack of confidence could be stemming from your past.

Seattle and river like this.
  21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And you ( pluto2 ) are colouring your new relationships by "milking" your martyrdom.

We don't care what you look like; we don't care if you have a funny walk, no nose, or speak like the Phantom of the Paradise.
    All we care about is your mind and your thoughts - your intelligence and your wit.
    If the only thoughts you have are about things we don't care about, and you don't care about all the interesting thoughts in your head, then you are actively pushing us away.

You've gone from being a victim to being your own worst enemy. You're wallowing in martyrdom.

Why not try sharing your mind, your thoughts, your intelligence, your wit?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’m assuming you’re addressing pluto?

Seattle likes this.
  23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Of course. My bad. (edited)

wegs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.