What are your thoughts on internet bullying?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have done the same in my younger days, legally on the footy field!

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Your post and others, where people are sharing random glimpses back into their childhood, remind me of my own, and how it's easy to sweep some things under the rug, like painful moments when you were a kid that maybe you'd rather forget. And how occasionally, one can be triggered on the internet, and it takes you back to that place as a kid, when you felt humiliated by the playground bully. This thread has turned out to be surprisingly cathartic.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I have no one on ignore, I just don't read the posts I don't like.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The last change wasn't that long ago - there's a famous quote about the Presidency attributed to T Roosevelt, in which (responding to someone pointing out that the Presidency had little real domestic power) he said maybe not, but "It's a bully pulpit". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_pulpit

wegs likes this.
  8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I never put anyone on ignore until I became fed up with "he that does not exist" and his sock draw.
    Having used the ignore button the quality of the science sections improved dramatically for me.
    His fixation on me and indeed Paddoboy is tiresome I don't need have my enjoyment of something Paddoboy has posted ruined by someone who has some sort of "problem" ranting about his vast scientific "knowledge" and how mainstream is wrong, just criticizing with never any introduction of an alternative, disclosure of his credentials or even the display of a reasonable and polite behaviour.
    The ignore button works well for me and you know I don't think I will miss anything don't have to consider not reading it happily just does not appear.
    As to your question as to folk seeing you as a bully all I can say is you have not ever presented that way to me in fact I find your posts interesting and sometimes playful.
    Alex

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The problem with ignore, is that you can still see the ignored's posts, when you're logged out lol You must have very strong willpower to not look!

10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have been lucky and at first it was hard.
    I often come to the site not logged in but try to make a point of logging in before I start into topics to find alerts ..so its not hard.

I also stayed right away for a time.
    I think its like giving up smoking hard at first but after a while you forget..well I forget.
    I can go to another site and I find I have to log in again when I come back but you miss alerts if you don't log in.

But today knowing he had participated in the thread was hard to resist I must say.

He should put me, Paddoboy and I think Origin ...he has problems with a few more than us..but whoever he hates on ignore and be nice to those left he has no problem with.

Alex

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Erm.. besides the internet I have various textbooks. Maybe I think everyone is bullshiting me until I can reference it.

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Interesting and playful.
    Alex

13. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Whoever strikes first is in the wrong. The classic: "Who threw the first punch?" should suffice to bring peace to Earth. If someone hits you then retaliating is self-defence, but if you strike first, then you are in the wrong.

14. wellwisher Banned Banned

Internet bullying is where people, who are normally bullied by others, get to be bullies, due to anonymity. It is very doubtful most internet bullies would say the same things to your face, since they would have to deal with a swirly or wedgie. Internet bullying is often the revenge of the nerds, since nerds are better at virtual reality, instead of natural reality. In the virtual reality of the internet, they can have infinite lives. The jocks are not always as tech savvy and can fight as well, typing.

I come up with a lot of ideas, often to show there is more than one way to explain things. Science is a process of discovery, not a set of dogma. This always sets me up for internet forum bullies, especially those who are part of a gang. They believe that anything out of the school yard sandbox, is suspect. It is like in school, where a new kid appears, who does to know enough to play by the school yard rules. They get harassed and bullied, until they conform to the school yard politics or are forces to leave the school. If that school has biased teachers, they will look the other way.

I am not allowed to play in the science playground, because I question, invent and don't conform to science politics. This leads to internet bullying instead of a free exchange of ideas to refute my claim. Some moderators try to prevent the bullying, but not by addressing the bullies. Instead they deal with the people who they feel upset the bullies. One has to be tough skinned, since the PC rules of bullying does not apply to outsiders; outside the box.

15. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

That would be a lie except for the word "invent". It is true that you are not allowed in the science area because you merely invent scientific claims, you do not base them on any research.

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I have always defined a "bully" as someone who says or does hurtful or domineering things to another living creature. The choice of victim is biased towards those the bully believes to be weaker than they in some way (size, sex, muscularity, weaponry, species etc). In my case, they are in my face waving a fist under my nose from out the blue or yelling directions at me to do something or another. They present an immediate physical threat that must be dealt with - no choice.

One of the other web forums I have been a part of was informally known as "troll central". I got a ton of experience with nasty anonymous Internet 'bullies'. The most effective appeared to use their opponents/victims (what Buddhists refer to as) "attachment to face" to cause them emotional pain.

If you said something like "energy is equivalent to the mass times the speed of light squared", the troll would state that you had just pulled that from out your arse and the speed of light was horseradish to begin with as it had no speed. That is the bait, if you bite/reply(especially if you call yourself some kind of authority on the subject), you could then later consider yourself to be "bullied" by the trolls following remarks. You may be hurt, but the troll is enjoying him/herself because you are playing.

If I don't like what someone is saying, I move my eyes on to the next post.

Yes, "avi" is slang for "avatar" You know how us Detroit hipsters are with our street talk.

wegs likes this.
  17. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Should there be a distinction between bullying and trash talk?

I'm thinking of getting a mew PC to play the MMO DayZ; in alpha stage but zombie killing FPS is cool. When you're playing an online game trash talk is like second nature, but I don't consider it bullying just cause I pwn some noobs.

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

All science begins as premises, which need to be substantiated. I used to work in a research and development environment, where new ideas are always acceptable, since R&D is the embryonic version of science. I was a prolific inventor. Science does not begin all finished and polished like in a text book. At one time, Einstein had an idea that was scribbled on a piece of paper. It was a diamond in the rough, but not yet polished and published. To me, this is the fun part of science, since there is hopeful expectation. The pioneer may live in fur lined shack and bath in the steam. His role is critical even if not very pretty. This is often beneath the city dweller and settler, who prefers to buy a house already built. He will not move anywhere until there is running water.

For example, the Bing Bang is a consensus theory which we infer from various evidence. However, this is only a theory and not considered a law of science. There is room for alternate ideas in a development environment. Many universities and research lab support such efforts. It is part of science.

This is called a discussion forum, and not a science indoctrination forum. If this was called a science indoctrination forum, new and/or embryonic ideas would not be kosher, since this forum would be geared toward the memorizers, and not the thinkers. In discussions, it is not about bullies enforcing the rules of indoctrination. Rather is about everyone engaging in open discussions. Who knows if this may lead to good ideas that will be developed al the way to indoctrination.

There are only a few laws of science, such as energy conservation, which are considered dogma, even in an open R&D environment. Theory, on the other hand, is open game in the world of R&D. Theory is not supposed to be treated as dogma, but only as the most promising scaffolding for thinking. Most people in R&D, know there are some people who can climb up the wall of science, without scaffolding.

The question might be, should these forums be relabeled as science indoctrination forums. Only the liberal art areas of philosophy and politics will be discussion forums. This would justify the role of the bullies. If the bullies become active, they do so in a righteous way, since no R&D thinking is allowed.

19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I bet I can post a fundamentally dumb idea in the science sub section and not be reprimanded or 'bullied'. It's only when someone tries to pass on/lie their BS that others' get irritated.

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

As I understand it Wellwisher the term "theory" in science means more than the way you use the word.
    A "theory" is something well established and in my layman's speak I could freely use the word fact in place of theory.
    Fact is probably too strong but it is better to think of theory as fact as opposed to the way you seek to use it which sounds more like "a loose idea sortta hunch like"
    I think to use the word the way you do would have most scientists grinding their teeth.
    You may find just using the word theory in a casual layman sence will have folk treating you in a dismissive manner such that you feel bullied.

If you want to say the big bang "is only a theory" that's understandably like poking a stick in an ants nest.

And it is no good saying well it should not be that way cause it is.

Alex

21. wellwisher Banned Banned

In online video games, trash talk can be a form of playful cheating to distract your opponent. If you can get under his or her skin, or even make them laugh, they will make mistakes that can give you an edge. As one builds an immunity to the trash talk, due to making friends or getting used to the trash, the distraction becomes less.

In discussion forums, trash talk is different. It is both a distraction, as well as hacking someone's game controller. Those who get into the discussion, late, see a lot of trash and stop reading. They assume this discussion, although it may have started interesting, has become pointless; play become poor. The guy who is being targeting in the game, appears to be making poor moves, due to controller hack, so it not worth watching.

I believe in free speech. What would be nice if someone invented a two column discussion forum format. The first column would be discussion, and the second column is trash talk and controller hack. One can push a button to toggle between just discussion, just trash talk and controller hack, or discussion, trash talk and hack. This way there is place for discussion, fun banter, serious hacking, no hacking, or all of the above, based on individual choice. In Safari, one can turn off adds and just read the article. This is doable. Not everyone wants to be bombarded with adds, which distract from the article.

22. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Wellwisher...
    Further science does not entertain a hunch.
    It builds models carefully.
    Do you fully understand scientific method.
    Take it in wiki will set it out.
    I think reading about it could really help you understand why folk can become impatient.
    I have some strange ideas but understand those ideas are not theories , fun to chat about at the pub, but not science....it is important to know the difference.
    Alex

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  23. wellwisher Banned Banned

In an R&D environment, theory is something you respect. However, you are not shackled by it. It is the easiest path and the path of least resistance. If you conform, it is much easier to get along. However, what you need, may not be down that path. You may need to leave the main trail.

I used to develop technology that had to conform to future regulations. The consensus theory is geared to the present, not the future. Sometimes I had to go against the grain, because the grain could not go to the future What was needed was a new path. For example, one project was bio-denitrification of waste acid ponds, using open ponds to do an anaerobic reaction. Based on the consensus theory, how can you keep out air, in an open pond, to do an anaerobic reaction? How can you control pH, leaching, metal and organic contaminants all of which can impact the bacteria? The project was dead in the water, unless went in another direction. Nobody thought it would work, until it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.