What battle would make the Best Movie?

Discussion in 'History' started by RonVolk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Are you looking for big bangs or sheer scale or what? I think some of the historical battle slike Waterloo etc would count on several points, or else you could go back a lot further, to say 1066 and the battle of hastings. You know the outcome, but it was so close, and it lasted a long time as battles go, and you have the ready made romantic heros, the saxons who had marched and rode from defeating the norse invaders at the battle of Stamford Bridge only a few days earlier, but half the country away. Then of ocurs eit involved cavalry, archers, hand to hand combat, a shield wall, axes, swords, spears, etc. Plenty of scope for stuff.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Thermopylae. Rarely have so few stood against so many.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 1368 Registered Member

I'd like to see one about the seige of Constantinople.

8. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

I'm just curious what people would be interested in. I think some very interesting things happened in battle that don't really get the attention they deserve.

Guthrie, 1066 was a very interesting year I've read some about the saxons and their jarls (spelling?), good times. (The reading was probably not a good time to be Saxon.)

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

"I think some very interesting things happened in battle that don't really get the attention they deserve."

Aye, probably, but then we dont tend to hear about them. Maybe theres a fair bit to be found out about WW2 and Korea etc, but anything much further back theres no or very little evidence about what actually happened in the broader sense, let alone interesting things that get overlooked.
    Jarls, Karls, whatever, I cant quite remember. The demise of the saxon kingdoms was unfortnate, and need not have happenned. If the Norsemen hadnt invaded, then Harold would have had the entire army. CAn you imagine a united SAxon kingdoms of England going on to greater and better things, having freed itself from Norse domination? (oops, wrong thread.)

10. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

panzerschlacht by kursk , ww2
    witnesses said "the landscape appeared to be too small for this fight"

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The Pelopenisian war....27 years of battle compressed in 3hr long movie.

12. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

15ofthe19 and sargentlard they have both of those movies already...

actually i would like to see "Ledovoe Poboeshe" epic made. Battle around 11-1300
    Baltic-Germans vs Russians with total anihilation of the Baltic-German crusader army.
    Alexander Nevsky was forever remembered after that every Russian knows the poem about this battle they teach it in like 1st grade several page poem. I forgot it tho lol.

13. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Gaugamela. 331 BC. Alexander vs Darius III. I would love to see a recreation of the Macedonian Phalanx in battle against the Persian scythed chariots.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The Shadows VS The Borg

15. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

The Battle of Lutzen, which ended the Swedish Period of the Thirty Year's War

King Gustavus Adolphus and his loyal, Protestant Swedes were victorious over the merciless Wallenstein, who led the Catholic, Habsburg force, but, tragically, the King was also slain on the field of battle, when he and his guard, befuddled by the mist, ran into an enemy formation.

16. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

another cool thing would be to see the taking of Peiking by the
    Mongolo-Tartars and the battle that led to taking it. Cause the chinese had a huge force that fell to the Mongolo-Tartars before the city was taken.

17. Airman Registered Member

The last one.

18. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

The defeat of Alexander the great, I'm still not so sure where it was or who dunnit, any info would be good thanks

19. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Alexander died of malaria in Babylon. He was not defeated during his conquest of the East. His empire was simply broken up among his generals after his death.

20. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

The battle of culloden(since i dont recall it ever being made before), last battle fought on british soil, though it would be better as a short film rather than an epic movie as the battle only lasted 40 minutes.

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Culloden- the antidote to Braveheart.

22. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

I thought Alexander died of influenza or something, but not malaria.

23. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

i heared alexander died because of lead or tin or something like that .....