What battle would make the Best Movie?

Discussion in 'History' started by RonVolk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Dunno for sure. I've read different reasons given for his death, so there is certainly plenty of dispute. I just mentioned the first one that came to my mind when I noted that he had died from sickness rather than being defeated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

I don't know if any movies have been made in Germany about this topic, but what about Herman? The man who destroyed two of Rome's legions (under Varus something I think) in Germania and stopped Rome from settling most of Germany. He doesn't get much mention here in the states, mostly I think because of the similaritis between The Romans and Custer.

Off topic: I saw a BBC special about the battle that implied German victory eventually lead to WW2. The logic went something like No German victory->Romans settle Germania-> German culture more like the rest of europe-> No WW2, If I had been holding an empty beer I would of thrown it at my TV.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

it wasnt really a battle more like slaughter the romans were anihilated in a forest setting where they couldn't cohesively use their units. And it wasnt 2 legions it was 3 and the general who lead them was a complete moron. Romans tried to settle in germany they simply couldn't create a stable front & incentives for settlers to live there. The germans more or less were severely militant and destroyed any roman settlement across the rhine at any sign of lowered guard or whenever it was erected. They had a documentary on this in history channel.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

hmm .. i donĀ“t really know a movie about this topic .... but i think it would look like the battle in GLADIATOR with russel crowe
    "varus , varus - where are my legions"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

PS : I saw a BBC special about the battle that implied German victory eventually lead to WW2

well , and i blame george washington for the iraq-war

8. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Nobody actually knows what illness alexander the great died of exactly, the latest speculation is typhoid fever.(just incase anyones still interested)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  9. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

the era of the Three Kingdoms. So many years compressed into just a few hours...

10. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Eluminate, Been a while since I've saw it and I was doing homework while I watched makes it even harder to remember the facts. Thanks for the Info. So you think it'd make a good movie?

Sweet Pentax, based on the same logic I have to blame the third handmaiden of King Tut for Suez Canal's high upkeep cost.

11. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Lemm, I read as much as I could find on Alexander the Great's death but some of it is either superstitious talk, guess work or down right ignorance, all they seem
    know is that he got worse gradually & died for no apparent reason ( After a drinking binge). given the medical knowledge & the kind of man he was it seems mysterious to just die, but why all the superstition? Some of the people writing this were historians, learned men. HHm, suppose any movie could do with mystery

12. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Probably something about the French Revolution.

13. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

the romans were encicled and just broken up into uncohesive groups and killed off severe routing+slaughter no contest at all. I dont know if it would make a good battle for a movie I doubt it its more like an ambush.

Aleric sieging rome would be a good battle much better than varus the moron ya I think it was varus. But germany could have been taken under rome the crucial point was when german was recalled to rome and his family and relatives except the little caligula were killed off. German was loved so much by the germans/romans that were settled on the rhine he had almost complete control and basicly was semi-king of germania if he would have became emperor part of rhine woulda been romanized for sure. But all that cohesiveness was basicly rooted out.

Also the siege of carthage woulda been very nice cause they fought till death and it was burned to the ground afterwards.

Btw if Russian emperor Pavel the 3rd i think (who was the worst ever ever ever) when Russia took berlin ahem ahem some 150years before the revolution. The idiot idolized fredrick the 2nd and gave him a very very generous peace allowing him to fight on against the others if he striped prussia of some lands and forced a painful peace the german state woulda been more humble.

The idiocy of roman empire was that they never followed up in doing things that good emperors did. When the people italian-gaul(po river valley milan etc..) were finally given citezenship they shoulda gradually granted it to the loyal romanized tribes in lower france and incorporate them as well. Also the capital should moved from Rome somewhere more centralized... like lyon or switzerland it woulda consolidated france & other parts and the roman hold on it as well as integration etc...

14. Von Axel Not perfect at all Registered Senior Member

I'd imagine a recreation of the somme would be quite aproprite, the level of suffering and spectacular explosions have huge scope for a block buster movie.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  15. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

I think the Roman invasion and destruction of German territory would end up looking like Gladiator+Braveheart+first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" for the ambush scene. The most expensive part of making the movie would probably be the 10'000 gallons of fake blood for the slaughtering not to mention the fake limbs body parts.

I agree with you about the Goths it would make a good movie if the movie started with the cruel treatment the Romans handed out to the goths, before the goths sacked Rome.

16. PhiloNysh Registered Member

I don't think any battle would make a good movie as it would usually be biased, over-glorified and absolutely historically incorrect, as one can see through any Hollywood Movies, such as "pearl harbour" etc

17. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

The battle for Wulin / Chibi.

18. Ronhrin Registered Senior Member

Lord of the Rings?

19. Ronhrin Registered Senior Member

oh
    and Braveheart

20. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

They meant real battles, I'm pretty sure. LotR doesn't qualify.

21. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

For showing the gruesome side of war, I'd say Paschendale (I think I spelled that right.) Being sucked down into the mud isn't a pleasant way to die, I imagine, but Hollywood, especially these days, wouldn't want anything so realistic as to show less-than-heroic deaths. It would have to be an independent film.

Something that would lend itself over immediately is the hunt for the Altmark. Carrying poorly treated prisoners, that ship snuck around all over the place avoiding detection and denying inspectors to verify that there were no prisoners on board (sound familiar?). Her name was changed several times, and all the while the prisoners were being denied their rights as POWs. Time was running out for them, and when the Altmark was finally located, the broadside to broadside battle would make any Hollywood screenwriter cream his pants. It's not really a battle, per se, but it has all the elements for a good movie.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's not a specific battle per se, but two movies. Fitnah and Second Fitnah, covering two Islamic civil wars from 656-660 and 680-692. Dramatic to say the least, it's six hours of cinema that America, at least, desperately needs. Maybe they'd have to be TV miniseries.

23. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

The last war in Iraq would be interesting.