What battle would make the Best Movie?

Discussion in 'History' started by RonVolk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

The politics were alot more exiciting then the actual combat. Most Iraqi troops were starved, dehydrated, demoralized, and poorly armed. They didn't want to fight and I don't consider them cowards for surrendering. I'd like to see a movie from their point of view.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

yeh it would be an awsome movie, and i'm sure they'll make at least a couple in the next ten/twenty years when it's appropriate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

I would do it on Hastein the viking, who sacked every city from Normandy all to the strait of Gibraltar. He even ravaged the Great Mosque and dove down to Africa where the vikings met blacks for the first time (they called them blue men). Hastein wintered at a fort and then moved on to the city of Luna, thinking it was fabled Rome. He entered the city and converted to Christianity. A few hours later he pretended he was dead and his warriors held a funeral for him. They carried his coffin into a church and began to weep. He then supposidly jumped out of the coffin, slit the priest's throat and burned the whole city. On the way back through the strait half their ships were destroyed by Muslims out for revenge. They rebuilt their mosque using the wood of Viking ships. Hastein still lived and his tale was immortalized by both Christian and Muslim scribes. Now THAT would be an awesome film!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

A movie about the siege of Constantinople is one of my dreams. The strategy of the battle was amazing and very clever. I am sure it would be a great movie. I sent some e-mails to directors but they didnt reply

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Pearl harbour seemed biased in favour of the japanese to me. It was a shit movie but if it gave the impression of one side being more awesome than the other I think that side was clearly the japanese. I mean their planes could move like ufos.

I see the same people in this thread that wish for world peace. I find that ironic. You clearly see how conflict makes history interesting, so why do you wish to deprave future generations of interesting history?

I'd like a movie about wars from pre-history, hunter/gather tribes breaking eachother's skulls open with rocks and bones.

9. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

LOL, good point, but we've already made plenty of war history we should move on and make some competitive history that involves less death like a space race or something.
    I'd like to see it too but only if giant felines and bears make surprise visits when humans are sleeping or eating.

10. Zero Banned Banned

Specify what you mean by 'good movie'. If you're asking about something that's going to sell, then something angsty like the siege of Troy would work. Add some steamy sex scenes involving Helen and add plenty of angst to it, and you're set. The general public will lap it up like morons.

If you're actually looking for a movie with some artistic value in it, well then. Anything is game, perhaps something from WW2?

--Long Live the Female Messiah.

11. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

A movie you would like to watch, on a theme that hasn't been done to death.
    No offense but, I'm not so friendless that I'd ask an online forum for movie viewing advice. I'm more interested in what other people would think would make a good movie, did you read this entire post?

12. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

spain vs the Aztecs,
    it may have been a fairly one sided fight (guns vs spears)
    but if you make the movie from the Aztec point of view, the goal could be something smaller then beating the Spanish, it could be set around saving one tribe or village, in which case a victory is still possible

13. mhallex Registered Member

A moive about Hastings would be good. The violence adn intrigue surrouding the life of William, Harold's battle against the Vikings and then the rather dramatic finale at Hastings would be rather impressive.

The siege of Constantiople would be intresting, but its a long siege, so Id suppose there would be some sort of love story or something using the battle as a backdrop, just to give it a real plot.

The Crusades would be intresting, the First Crusade would be best, I think. Youve got the mix of religon and politics, the personal conflicts, the epic battles. It makes for great drama. And when one considers the sucess of religous themed films in the US(eg the Passion) and the current bit of anti-arab sentiment, a film about the Crusades has the ability to tap into a very profitable bit of sentiment.

14. Arkon Shazbot. Registered Senior Member

A movie about the last battle, Ragnarok.

15. aghart Registered Senior Member

I agree, the battle of Cambrai in Nov 1917 when for the first time tanks were used en masse over suitable terrain and showed the way forward, bringing to an end the slaughter of trench warfare. The colours of the flag of the Royal Tank Regiment highlight this,

Brown, Red and Green, " Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  16. Spyke Registered Senior Member

It would probably be short on good dialogue though. Clan of the Cave Bear and 1,000,000 Years, BC, come to mind as particularly bad movies, although Rachel Welch and Darrly Hannah looked good in fur.

17. Bruce Wayne . Registered Senior Member

I would like to see one about stalingrad in the second world war.

I would also like a serie about the Islamic Conquests. Especilly the conquest of Iraq and iran and the defeat of the armies of Heraclius in the levant. (They achieved in 90 years more than Rome did in 800, with more lasting impact) Speciall attention should be given to Khaled ibn al.Walid -May Allah reward him.

The Roman and the Alexandran Conquests would be great to.

The Italian wars of the late 1400, early 1500 would be great. With special attention for Duke valentino and the swiss infantry.

18. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

Regarding Stalingrad, check out Enemy at the Gates. It does have some battle scenes. But a full-blown modern movie about Stalingrad might be interesting, I agree.

Regarding the crusades, Kingdom of Heaven is due out next summer, I believe, starring Orlando Bloom. According to the IMDB he leads the people of Jerusalem against the crusaders.

There are two movies about Alexander in production. Oliver Stone's version should be out around Christmas time. It features Colin Farrell as Alexander, Angelina Jolie as the random love interest, Val Kilmer as Philip of Macedonia, and Anthony Hopkins as Ptolemy.

Another one by Baz Luhrman featuring Leonardo diCaprio as Alexander is in turnaround. Probably dead.

19. Bruce Wayne . Registered Senior Member

Enemy at the gates is not exactly what I had in mind. I need to have an overview of the battle, not the fictional live of one meaningless guy. I want to see the tragedy, from both sides. I want to feel their need to survive (in whatever form that is)

20. AlbaGuBrath Registered Member

Not quite sure of your point here guthrie.

Braveheart is a "Hollywoodised" version of a small nations (Scotland) fight against invasion by a larger, expansionist neighbour (England), who had already conquered Wales.

Culloden was the final battle in the House of Stewarts attempts to regain the throne of the UK from the Hanovarians. At Culloden, more Scots fought on the government side than on the Jacobite side.

If it is an English victory over the Scots you desire, then there are many examples. Culloden however, is not one.

21. Roman Banned Banned

If I was a Hollywood anything, I'd make something about Huns (already being done with Vin Diesel), the Turks, or Ghengis Khan.

Put two generations of Mongol invasion and occupation into a 2 hour movie... that'd be awesome. Massive cavalry charges, knights, footmen, cossacks, chinese, sieges, Arab assassins, Persian immortals, Indian elephants: it'd be two continents of eye candy. Throw in the Great Khan, his good son, bad son, nice son, dumb son, and the splitting of the empire and couple hot queens, it'd make great Hollywood fare.

22. Cob Nut Registered Member

It seems to me that the battle which is just crying out to be filmed is the Siege of Malta, 1565.

It has everything you could possibly want. And I mean EVERYTHING. And more!

To begin with, it is the tale of the heroic struggle of a vastly inferior force against a vastly superior foe. A bit like the Alamo. Only LaValette's men weren't all dead at the end of it.

You've got the lead-up to it: the galleys of the Order of St John "defending" the Eastern Mediterranean for Christendom - or committing repeated acts of piracy against Moslem shipping depending upon one's point of view. Until finally Suleiman the Magnificent vows to wipe out this scourge once and for all.

You've then got the magnificent armada sailing from the Bosphorus, bearing an army of 40,000. You've got the preparation of the defences of the Three Cities. You've got the plea for help going out to all of Europe - and one by one the Christian kings of Europe decline to send help to the knights who are so obviously staring defeat in the face.

You've then got conventional siege warfare. You've got mining, and counter-mining, and underground battles in the tunnels between the miners. You've got a boom across the Grand Harbour, and you've got battles in the water between rival bands of swimmers as the Turks try to cut open the boom and the native Maltese try to stop them.

You've got the bombardment of the walls with cannon. You've got Greek Fire being lobbed in (and huge butts of water all around the walls so that men who are set alight can jump into them and douse the flames). You've got siege towers being built - and destroyed. You've got a huge rollign mine being prepared and pushed up to the walls; but its fuse is too long and the defenders break through the wall and push it back into the lines of the besiegers, where it explodes.

You've got scouting forays and cavalry actions on the plains. You've got the pirate Dragut coming and throwing in his lot with the Turks.

And finally, at the climax, like the Old Gurad at Waterloo, you've got the Janissaries unleashed ... and thrown back.

Finally, Sulieman's army withdraws, broken as much by disease and ******** wells as by any military action. But there is still one last twist in the tail.

As they retreat, they vow to destroy Mdina, the ancient capital of Malta, as an act of vengeance. Mdina is defenceless. It has a tiny garrison with very littel gunpowder. Apart from that it is populated by women and old men. It cannot hope to withstand an assault. So the governor decides prevention is better than cure. He has all the old men and women dressed as soldiers, and sends them up onto the parapet. When the Turks are still hopelessly out of range, he has his men start firing their guns and cheering.

The demoralised Turks take this as a sign that the city is well garrisoned and has powder to burn. In short, it will not be easy to take by storm. They have not the stomach for another long siege, and so they turn aside and make for their ships.

As they sail away, the Kings of Europe suddenly realise that they should have backed a winner, and try to make amends. The Knights of St John are suddenly the darlings of Christendom. They have broken the Ottoman army. Seven years later, at Lepanto, their galleys will help to break the Ottoman navy, and Christendom will begin to feel secure again. The risk and fear of a Moslem over-run of Europe will not be finally put to rest for another century and more, and the Turks will reach the gates of Vienna before they suffer their final reverse.

But the Siege of Malta is their first defeat in the Eastern Mediterranean, and marks an important turning point in the balance of power in Europe and the Middle East. It was certainly perceived as such at the time, and when La Valette began to build his new capital city, all the finest craftsmen in Europe flocked to his assistance.

And if you read the book "The GReat Siege" - published in 1965 to mark the quarter centenary, you will both find it riveting (I read it in one sitting, when I was about 15, finishing at 4 in the morning because I just could not put it down) and also that it is just crying out to be filmed.

Like I say, it's got everything other than aircraft and automatic weapons!

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

Stalingrad, Stalingrad!!!!!!