What battle would make the Best Movie?

Discussion in 'History' started by RonVolk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Cob Nut Registered Member

I'm afraid I do not know why it's replaced the word p-o-i-s-o-n-e-d with a line of **** but there it is.

Stalingrad has already BEEN made into a film, of course.

And Waterloo, mentioned somewhere above, has been filmed at least twice (if you count Sharpe's Waterloo)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aghart Registered Senior Member

but the Altmark was captured and boarded by the Royal Navy before the US entered the war, how can Hollywood change history to show that the US navy did it? oops silly me U 567 or whatever number it was showed that hollywood simply ignored history.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. aghart Registered Senior Member

The convoy which included to tanker 'Ohio' is worthy of a film on it's own, but once again how could Hollywood replace the Royal Navy with the US Navy? but of course history can be manipulated!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

There seems to be a "historic epic" trend in hollywood these days. First Troy, now Alexander the Great. Interesting to see how they portray his death.

8. gitRdone Banned Banned

Armageddon or do a pulp fiction type movie of the different theaters is WWII showing different points of view of each battle over the years the war.

Or you could do a movie about both of my Grandfathers each one was in WWII, Korea, & Vietnam. And they weren't in the air force my one grandfather was in the Marines as a Raider and the other one was in the Navy he was a diver and demolitions man U.D.T. his ship shank in the middle of the pacific

He floated at sea for almost two weeks watching his buddies get eaten by sharks. he saved one of them by killing a shark he swam underneath the shark when it was swimming by and cut it wide open with his Mk3 knife that he gave me.

Before he died he gave it to me he told me the story I had never heard him talk about anything he had done in the war it was the only time I ever saw him cry.

My other grandfather was in the pacific theater also he told me that in Guadal Canal the Japanese would sneak across the lines at night and cut peoples heads off and stick the on poles well My grandfather and his buddies started to do the same thing but they went a step further they cut heads off and boiled them then stuck the skulls on poles.

The point I am trying to make is that war is necessary and it happens but neither one of my grandfathers or uncles or cousins or father that was in battle was proud of it they just simply did their duty and went on with their lives as much as they could. But it always haunted them...

The greatest war movie is and will always be the Story of Sgt. York if you haven't seen it I would suggest buying the movie. It will give you a different outlook on life.

9. Hardstuff Registered Member

I would like to see a movie of the battle where Ireland takes back N.Ireland and the Faeroe Islands, liberates Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Brittany, Basques, Galecians, Sardinians and Corsicans.... I would like to see that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh wait!, that hasn't happened yet!, crap I've said too much!

Time to get out the amnesia ray
    *picks up a revolver*
    Ok, who read this post?

What battle would I like to see... I don't exactly know... I'm very interested in WWII history, many battles have been filmed (and hyped up! which is bad).
    So... I can't exactly say which one.

10. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

The invasion of Grenada.

11. Addicted Archer Registered Member

The Battle of Crecy would be an awesome movie battle.

12. Spyke Registered Senior Member

I love the days of the sailing ships, so I would love to see more movies like Master and Commander. I would enjoy see Nelson's hunt for the French fleet in the Mediterranean in 1798 that culminated in his destruction of the French at the Battle of the Nile in Aboukir Bay. Particularly the terrific explosion of the 120-gun L'Orient, when fires reached her powder stores at 10:00 in the evening. It was reported that the explosion was heard over 20 miles away at Rosetta. And the story of one of the French captains who, as the battle raged, had one arm shot off; then the other; and when a cannonball took off one of his legs, he had his crew place the stump in a barrel of bran on deck so that he could still stand and command his ship, which he did until he bled to death. What a movie that would make.

13. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

I've had my fill of bombs and bullets, so I'd like to see something a little more covert and political like the US involvement in Laos from late '58 'till the start of the VietNam War. Operations Ambidextrous, White Star and Hotfoot come to mind.

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Adrianople, 378 AD. Why? 1) interesting lead-up story (Goths being treated like shit by the Romans) 2) Great battle action (Romans getting the snot kicked out of them by the Goths) 3) One of the world's most decisive battles, according to General Fuller.

15. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Yes, and its a good trend. I reckon we should have a film of the 1st British Afghan war, with the awful retreat from Kabul. Theres too many American history films already, and we are well establshed showing Indians as the good guys now.

The war of the Triple Alliance (http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/tango/triple1864.htm) in South America could be very moving, and the movie would end in the Campaign of Lomas Valentinas. Horrible what happend to the people of Paraguay in that war..

16. Xylene Valued Senior Member

jenny, have you read the book 'At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig'? It's a good read, and goes into a lot of detail about Lopez, Lynch et. al. and the WTA. Also there's a book specifically about Madam Lynch; and Joseph Conrad's novel 'Nostromo' is based on the Paraguayan experience during the WTA.

17. esp Registered Senior Member

From an Historical and literal perspective, The Battle of Agincourt,
    Henry V, Shakespear...

'And we shall shear up the walls with our English dead'

For anyone who has read the 'play' or more, the book, this is a superb description of warfare of the age.

18. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

No, never heard of it - Im sure I'd remember such a wacky title! Will look on amazon, thanks.

Havnt all or most of Shakespere's works been filmed already? Not that a new version cant usualy be worth doing..

I supose the various Joan of Arc films are closely linked with Henry V. Same war, anyhow.

19. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Shakespeare's 'Henry V' was filmed in 1942, I think--during WW2 anyway--with Sir Laurence Olivier as H5. Stuck closely to the text of Shakespeare's play. In one scene, where Henry addresses his troops while he stands at the stern of the ship that's about to take him over to France, there's a backdrop of a steep hill. Look closely at the background while he's speaking, and you'll notice a delivery-truck driving up the steep grade. Something the cut-out people missed.

20. esp Registered Senior Member

Xylene
    It's so difficult to get decent help these days, don't you think?
    Seriously, I haven't seen the film to which you refer, but there is an element of the written text which, when read in the context of the entire work really draws you into the scene; I'm not sure that even a modern visual production of the piece could recapture that!

21. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I know, the quality of servants has declined in recent years, I've noticed

The Romans et al never had the problem of course--they just went out conquered new territory, and took a whole tribe into slavery. Which is why we're sitting here talking about what would be the best battle to put on screen.

22. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Oh, those romans mustve known that 2000 after their time, people would want to make shows + stories about the battles they were having. I mean, they had their own plays about the more anceint Greeks or Egyptans, right? Perhsaps Roman writers caried on discusions similar to this, about what old battle they should put on stage..

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't know about a battle but I'd love to see the Second Punic War in film.