What battle would make the Best Movie?

Discussion in 'History' started by RonVolk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Well you can walk into the Cathedral at Chartres and see what they were doing during the high point of Western Civilization.

I'll take that structure over Bauhaus anything.

A little later we have Les Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry--put that up against anything done in the last 100 years. There are a few equals but not many. Certainly none of the stars of 20th century art compare.

And those Renaissance scientists didn't pop up out of nowhere. The ground work for those advances was done centuries before.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

what lovely pics!! Thankyou Mulen!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but how can you realy judge modern painters against them, since the styles have been so diferent - esp. since cameras came along? I mean, can you say Savador Dali was beter or worse than Michelangelo.. or that either ofthem was beter than a modern artist like David hardy, who does subjects they never worked on?

At least they could make there discoveries available to the public, not just to priests + monks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. I also think this should be made a movie.

500 spartens vs 3million persians and mercaneries

Thats awesome

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree that the battle at Thermopylae was a great battle,
    I wanted to suggest it as my choice, but had forgotten the name.
    Although I doubt that the spartens would have said that the situation was awesome.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

p.s those were about 7000 greeks + 300 spartans not 500

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

an army of 3 MILLION..? I didnt think thered have been that many people in most whole countrys back then.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Herodotus claims a total strength of 3.4 million; today's estimates range from 250,000 to 300,000

10. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

That sounds more likely.. or perhaps the word 'million' wasnt translated right + Herodotus meant some smaller number.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Maybe, just like with "thousand and one arabian nights" which actually is "a hundred and one arabian nights" when translated correctly, or Herodotus just wanted the battle to look even more glorious.

12. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

So perhaps the movie would be done as a kind of naration, by Herodotus - like "Alexander" with Ptolmy telling the story.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Alexander? please..
    The closest depiction to real history in any movie I think is Lord of The Rings.
    I don't watch those Hollywood abominations of history. Too cheesy, to americanized.

14. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

If LOTR is more real than Alexandr you obviously don tlike Hollywood 1 bit.

I thought that movie wasnt too bad, especialy as they werent afraid to show how he was bisexual. the sets were exelent as well, though it did get a bit slow in the middle.

It was more realistc than Troy, I am sure..

15. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

"Not being afraid" doesn't cover it. An agenda was being pushed. Just as was pushed in the recent book "proving" Lincoln was a homosexual.

It never ends in Hollywood. And won't end considering who runs the town.

16. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Here's an interesting and disturbing (but not surprising given the USA's imperialism) article on the historical revisionism that is occurring in American-made war movies.

17. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

That realy is disturbing Herc! If Hollywood scripts are being maniulated from capitol Hill... what happend to freedom of expression ?

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Thanks to the MPAA, FCC, EPA, etc. almost nonexistant now...
    anyway, heres my idea for a trailer of the best battle movie:

*camera pans around. craters and fire are everywhere*
    voice: "Nearly a million died here, at this fortress of ages past. As one side attacked, the other general said 'they shall not pass', and the battle begun. Never before or since have so many perished for so trivial a place. The year is nineteen-sixteen. Let the carnage begin"
    *shell lands in a trench. blast sends a few people flying. machinegun fire and etc. fly across the screen*
    *troops go over the top of one trench, and charge forward, only to be shot to pieces*
    *screen goes black*
    *bold red words flash across the screen: "VERDUN"*