What causes thirst after a haircut?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Arne Saknussemm, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

You may have noticed that one is quite thirsty after a good haircut. Good barbers know this and have drinking water on hand. But why should one be thirsty after a hair cut?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Sitting in a chair for a while without drinking.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Hair-spray and disinfectant contain alcohol, which is a dehydrating agent.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Gee, thanks Jeeves, but I myself never use hairspray, and I don't think alcohol-based disinfectants have been used in many of my haircuts, although I'm not sure. Any other thoughts?

And Russ, why don't you try sitting in a chair for a while without drinking?

8. Olinguito Registered Member

Maybe chatting with the barber makes you thirsty. I’d get thirsty too after talking non-stop for a while.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I don't get thirsty after a haircut.

10. Rav Valued Senior Member

Either do I. I do get thirsty when I'm anxious though, which is apparently perfectly normal.

Does your barber make you anxious Arne? Some of those old-school dudes are like Edward Scissorhands. And then there's the cut throat razors... Sweeney Todd?

Haircut Phobias, apparently called tonsurephobia (although I can't find an authoritative source for the term).

That's one way to kill five minutes I guess.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Neither do I. Seems like this is more of an urban legend than anything else. (shrug)

12. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Thirsty after a haircut??? Never heard of such nonsense!

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

How is something nonsense just because you never heard of it? I'm not asking you to believe in alien abductions are slips through time. I 'm just saying that I know haircuts make me thirsty, and I suppose it's not just me, and if any one knows why this happens, please share. Why would I make something like this up? Your posting is needless, Kite.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I've never been in a barber shop that didn't smell strongly of those products. Then again, the air may be dry from heating or air conditioning or lack of green plants or all the hair in the bins absorbing the moisture. In any case, there are three possible solutions to the problem: 1. drink water 2. go to another barber 3. grow long hair.

15. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Thank you again, Jeeves, but it's not a problem. I just have a drink. I am only curious about the cause. Your suggestions may be correct. Apparently no one ever studied this matter. Oh well, I guess the money's better spent on animal research. Oh, I know. Maybe they could shave rats and see how thirsty they get.

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking that most hair salons and barber shops are probably kept a bit on the warmer side because clients are getting their hair washed and dried and they would want the temperature and humidity at the optimum setting for customer comfort, for the various hair products used and for optimum drying time. There will indeed be quite a number of chemical compounds in the air at any time simply because of the nature of the business and most shops have several clients being attended at the same time so you are breathing the compounds that are being used on others even if none are used on yourself.

Even a regular haircut is a small change and the autonomous response of your body to the event may also contribute to your thirst. I would expect that the duration of the appointment might also be a factor. Just some thoughts that come to mind. There is a stylist salon and class in the basement of our building and even when they wash and dry the towels they use, I can notice a difference in the air quality as the laundry facilities are at the end of the hall from my office.

An interesting question to be sure, but not all persons seem to experience thirst after a haircut.

17. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

Small strands of hair in the air?

18. heytogi Registered Member

Remedy:

I think you need a new barber! Maybe its too slow and you end up out of juice lol!

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's nonsense.

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I just had a haircut......I'm not thirsty. Not overly so anyway.

21. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

Because I'm almost 50 years old and I've had a haircut about every 2 weeks since college and not once did I ever think (or even feel) "Damn! I am sure thirsty after that haircut!" I've seen vending machines in barbershops so you'd have something to drink while you wait your turn or while you're just sitting there talking to your buds. But I've never seen anyone buy something after getting out of the chair.

22. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

"But I've never seen anyone buy something after getting out of the chair. "-By TBodillia

Simply because they want to get on the street to show off their new "do".

23. orcot Valued Senior Member

pavlovian reaction?