What destroys dna?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Ace!, Mar 5, 2005.

1. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

At any rate-

"Yea it would get all the blood but the cops would know SOMETHING had been going on due to the half gone floor and furniture"

I think Nasor was talking about a simpl compound that could wipe out the iron, not eat through the floor or carpet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxzuk Registered Senior Member

The detection of blood evidence (with Luminol) is one thing,
    the deciphering of DNA is another.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

People, lets use the tried and tested method.

Make it look like an accident.

Or frame someone else.

Have a good alibi.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

maxzuk:
    Bing-o.
    ..and become a cliche.
    Like the one about "my wife accidently fell down stairs, shot herself, stepped off canyon."
    My child "accidently fell down stairs, chocked on milk, stepped off canyon with the wife"

My parents both committed suicide.

Perfect alibi or not, you will always be destroyed by Motive.
    The second they find an insurance policy or that you were in any way compromised by the person (specifically if they're either a spouse or close relative)- slam. You're a suspect.

The perfect murder, therefore, would be one where you can erase every last stitch of evidence, down to the atoms.
    And the victim is a complete stranger to you.

Which sounds almost impossible.
    Unless you get an itch to kill a random baby by shoving it on railorad tracks.

8. Roman Banned Banned

I'd like to correct myself.
    BSA is actually Bovine Serum Albumin, not benzyl sulfonamide.
    Urea, which naturally decomposes to ammonia, is present in urine, and from urine you may extract DNA. All you need are the right organic solvents and clean up kit, and you can isolate the DNA.

Of course. Notice that I said tissue and phages. As in phagocytes. As in white blood cells.

Some blood hemes are very potent polymerase inhibitors, incidentally.

Gendanken,
    I disagree. If you wish to kill for the sake of killing, not for the sake of removing a person you don't like, it'd be really easy to get away with.
    Just kill someone no one would care about.

[edit]
    Right, unless you like shoving babys on railroad tracks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  9. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Oh, I see.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've never seen phagocytes referred to as "phages" before. (But I'm no immunologist, that's for sure.) To me the word "phage" means a bacterial virus, so you can see why I thought it was odd that you were citing 'phages' as a source of DNA in blood!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

<P>

10. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, that was definitely my bad with terminology there.
    I was refering to the Latin roots, though, where phage means an eater or destroyer. Bacteriophage= virus that destroys viruses, phagocyte= a cell that eats other cells.
    Sorry for the confusion.

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Allready covered.

The best killers are those that kill as in eating. The worst are the idiots that make it an abstract, like BTK.

MORON.
    Son of Sam.
    MORON.
    Every last one on this forum, including myself, fall in this category.

12. AMansAmoeba Registered Member

This goes mildly off the direct topic but I was wondering how well Coke works to get rid of blood evidence. I've heard stories about criminals stabbing knives into two liters of coke and leaving it to clean away the blood. Does this really work? I assume that since Phosphoric Acid is an active ingredient in Coke that it would dissolve just about anything over time, but does it do it well enough that no traces of blood are left at all? My mind says yes, but at the same time you'd think that the knife would dissolve a bit too.

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

AMansamoeba (nice handle)
    Intersting point, never thought of it.

But those criminals are wasting their time.
    According to Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

The percentage of phosphoric acid in Coke is not even a percentage of the formula (its a .20-.30 percent RIP-OFF).

So rub all you want, you’re not really doing anything other than perpetuating an urban myth about Coke and smearing whatever you’re trying to destroy with glucose.

Interesting also, as far as acids go you’re more likely to be damaging your teeth from drinking orange juice than you are coke as it has higher concentrations of citric acid.
    So I’ll remember to laugh next time at my Self Rigtheous Prick of A Dentist when he tortures me with the horrors of drinking coke- he’s got teeth as yellow as the orange juice he ate with his tofu that morning.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

And the ingredients in coke cannot dissolve metal.
    That too is an urban myth.

15. Roman Banned Banned

True that. I put a penny in a glass of coke for weeks, and it came out shiny as ever. The dental danger of coke comes from the high sugar content (which, these days, is at least that of most juices).

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Can't resist:
    "I put a penny in a glass of coke for weeks, and it came out shiny as ever"

I've put a hundred up my ass, and put two of them up as Ass Penny Threads.
    Fun, fun..

"The dental danger of coke comes from the high sugar content "

If only.
    America has thehighest obesity rates in the world.

and two corrections before I exit this dead thread:
    Fructose, not glucose.
    Drank, not ate.

Ta-ta.

17. AuxKing Registered Member

gendanken, how about HF for killing someone? As an acid, it is very weak and doesn't even chew away viciously at your skin. However, the "symptoms of skin exposure to dilute HF are not felt immediately, but exposure of less than 10% of the body to it can be fatal, even with immediate medical treatment" (Wikipedia). Basically, you'll feel a burn but later your bones will start to decompose, which I understand is VERY painful. Hydrofluoric acid can be circulated through your body too, so if you're lucky then you'll only have to have a few limbs amputated (depending on dosage).

Sooo... spray someone with some of this and see what CSI thinks about it... Course this is just for killing, not covering up a kill---just thought I'd add to the discussion. There are bacteria too which are just as effective... Something the KGB use(d) and you don't need more than a pin prick to deliver death. I think I read in a newspaper of a Russian politician feeling a slight sting of a needle (turned out to be the point on an umbrella) while getting off a bus, a large lump on his leg the next day, and a large tombstone on his head the next (may have been 2 or 3 days actually..). Anyone heard anything like this though?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

DNAse destroys DNA.

19. draqon Banned Banned

ApOpTosis.
    When that baby is born a small gun in every cell cuts the telemers out so that when that bullet strikes the heart...the last breath will be reminding of that predestined death in this young innocent world.

20. river-wind Valued Senior Member

As my highschool chem teacher explained to us, it's much easier to get rid of a body with a bathtub of a very strong base - soak the body in the base long enough and the body tissues basically turn into soap, which will easily wash down the drain. Then use a high-concentration hydrochloric acid to get rid of the teeth and hair, and you're good.

21. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

22. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

excuse me for my ignorance but wouldnt all you need to do is break the hydrogen bonds holding the template and coding strands together thus making them unuseable for testing?

23. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Interesting is the fact that the most effect solution to DNA profiles is contamination not destructions.

Many modern organized crime networks now have access to gene replication technologies. In the same labs that create the wondrous modern addictive drugs, they can produce sprays laced with unsuspecting individuals replicated dna. All you need is a hair, skin or salver sample, of the patsy, and you can produce buckets of DNA spray that you then spray liberally around your crime scene. Contamination is the bane of DNA criminal investigations, with a little money you can make anyone the offender..