what did humans...

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by laladopi, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

evolve from?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Seriously, what do you mean? How far back? We evolved from other species of hominids, and before that from austraolpithecines, and you can keep tracing back for 3.8 billion years (not that we know every step in the chain with 100% certainty).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Do you seriously think I could possibly be that lazy.
    I want people to tell me in there own words.

8. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

ok, as far back as the big bang.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What are astraolpithecines?
    Do evolutionists still believe that we originally came from apes?
    If so, why did we evolve from apes, yet apes still exist...meaning what causes a specie to 'branch out' and evolve into another species entirely, yet the original specie remains, rather than turning into the new species?

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The austrolopithecines were a genus of hominids from the Pliocene, members of which may or may not have been in our direct line. I am not certain of the current state of the debate on this point. The hominids were a much more diverse group before homo sapiens emerged.
    We did not come from apes, we are apes. We and the other apes (gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos, orangs and gibbons) are all different from our common ancestor. So the apes that we - and they - evolved from are certainly no longer around.
    Species split from each other when one group becomes isolated in some way from another. This isolation could be one of distance, geographic barrier, behavioural difference, etc.

11. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

First, as an aside, "apes" is a generic term. It's like saying "mammals." Even if man evolved from "mammals" mammals could (I hope obviously) continue to exist.

Second, evolution is not always "replacement." If a small number of cobras moves into a new area, they will over time adapt to the new area and be different from their ancestral population, yet their ancestral population can easily continue to exist unchanged, back in the original habitat from which the new population originally arose. Even if man evolved from chimpanzees (he did not, but for argument's sake) chimps are free to continue on.

Generally the answer to the question of how the original species survives is that: the new species developed iun response to a particular niche thatthe original species did not fully exploit. So long as their original niche exists, though, alongside the new niche, then both species can thrive.

12. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I dont think humans go that far back!

13. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

You wouldn’t be the first. :shrug:

Okay, if that’s true then ask a more specific question. The fact that you’ve then specified....

…suggests to me that you’re simply trolling.

14. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

because I am asking you not wikipedia! geez.

15. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Okay, we'll play it your way....

Modern humans evolved from human-like ancestor organisms. Question answered!

( ....and in my own words.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Laladopi, did you find my answer adequate? I am quite happy to expand upon it if it helps, but an indication of how far off the mark of what you wer ehoping for would be useful.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yes, you demonstrate that time and again.

Do you mean their own words? You are too lazy to even spell correctly, and too lazy to google, or read the links provided to you.

18. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

examples please, I would assume that people could just explain in their own words.

Do you mean their own words? You are too lazy to even spell correctly, and too lazy to google, or read the links provided to you.[/QUOTE]
    excuse me for my grammar, no I am not too fucking lazy to spell correctly and you would have to be a retard to not understand the ways of google, so stop assuming things, like your better than me. jerk. I think you need to relax.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wtf.. lol

What do you think lala ?

20. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

I know that humans evolved from the common ancestor of monkeys, chimpanzees and Gorillas about 5 million years ago...eventually there was a split and hominids arose and throughout. In my own words.

Everyone is always assuming things and jumping to illogical conclusions on my own behalf, which none of you know nothing of.

21. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

I just asking <expletive deleted> people for their own specifics so that you know for sure what your ideals have brought you too, i.e beginning of live and the transformation of humans started, One thing I will ask because I was unable to find an exact quotation from google, was the big bang the recipe for life in , was everything post big bang exist now just in different forms or mutations?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
  22. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Zen & motorcycle maintenance.

It goes something like this

He assigns his students a paper. Write about anything! Half the students can't think of anything to write about. So he says to a student, write about the tail end of a quarter - and the student wrote pages and pages.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Modern humans, species Homo sapiens, first appear in the fossil record ~130kya, but DNA analysis suggest the speciation occurred ~200kya. There are no other species of humans (genus Homo) now in existence, but there was a steady stream of them starting around 7mya, when the two genera of Homo and Pan (now represented by the two species of chimpanzees) split off from a common ancestor. A number of human species migrated successfully from Africa to Asia and Europe, but those lines were dead ends, except for Homo neanderthalensis, who existed in Europe until about 25kya when the first sapiens arrived. Trace anomalies in European DNA suggest that the Neanderthals were not killed off or out-competed to extinction, so much as that modern humans interbred with them and assimilated them into their own much larger population.

The family of Great Apes (now including humans, orangutans, the two gorillas and the two chimps) and the family of Lesser Apes (gibbons) separated 18mya. The apes split off from the New World Monkeys 25mya.

It's important to understand that many species of the superfamily of apes (Hominoidea) still exist, and that H. sapiens is one of those species. Just as it's important to understand that a large variety of primates still exist, and apes are primates, as are Old World and New World monkeys, lorises, ai-ais, lemurs, etc. Considerable speciation has occurred with in the order Primata, but the order itself continues to thrive. Just because one ancestral species of a taxonomic group diverged so greatly from its relatives that it gave rise to a new taxonomic group, does not mean that the original taxonomic group ceased to exist. Other species that existed at the same time remained within the same classification.

The same is true of many other taxonomic groups of animals. Within the class Reptilia, species of crocodiles existed more than 100mya, but those species have been replaced by their descendants today. So even though those particular crocodiles no longer exist, crocodiles still exist. The same is true of apes.

One clade of mammals split apart into primates, tree shrews and other related groups ~70mya. Going further back, the Euarchontoglires or Superprimates, whose modern members include the rodents, rabbits and other moderately close relatives of the primates, separated from the rest of the mammals ~90mya.

The Eutherians, whose members today are all the placental mammals, split off from the marsupials and monotremes ~125mya. The first mammals appeared ~200mya. Mammals and birds evolved from two ancestral species of reptiles, an order that still exists, and reptiles descended from an ancestral species of amphibians, which also still exists. The other descendants of the early amphibians are still amphibians. Amphibians evolved from an ancestral species of fish, and a wide variety of fish descended from other ancestral species still exist.

The first vertebrates arose ~500mya. Vertebrates and other chordates (sharks, eels and other animals with cartilaginous instead of bony skeletons) are one phylum of Bilateria, animals with bilateral symmetry and an internal body cavity. This group includes most of the living non-microscopic animal species (but not all, e.g. jellyfish), and it split off from the simpler animals ~550mya.

The first fossils of animals appear ~600mya, but non-observational evidence suggests that they might have appeared 1bya.

Animals, plants, fungi, and the other kingdoms encompassing the most complicated organisms are members of the domain of Eukaryotes. Eukaryotes are defined by having a nucleus in each of their cells. The two other domains of terrestrial lifeforms, whose cells have no nucleus, are the bacteria and the archaea, which includes very simple, difficult-to-classify organisms such as viruses.

Without observational evidence of fragile microscopic organisms whose remains could not possibly have been preserved, life on earth is generally acknowledged to have first existed ~4bya. DNA analysis has not established as "true beyond a reasonable doubt" (my own borrowing of legal language to replace inscrutable scientific language) that all three groups of organisms (eukaryotes, bacteria and archaea) share a common ancestor. Therefore the possibility that life arose independently more than once cannot be completely ruled out, although the similarities that exist make that possibility difficult to entertain.

The mechanism by which self-catalyzing chemical reactions gave rise to true organic matter is not yet fully understood. The level of complexity at which we would categorize these reactions as "life" has not been established. This entire process of "chemical evolution," as it were, is more properly called abiogenesis. Biological evolution begins with the first transformation of one type of organism into another, not with the appearance of the first organism ever.

The distinction between abiogenesis and evolution is an extremely important one, which is often overlooked in laymen's discussions of the history of the universe. Evolution is a canonical scientific theory with abundant evidence of many types, which is "true beyond a reasonable doubt." Abiogenesis is a hypothesis. For the purposes of a scholary discussion on a website devoted to science, it must be recognized that "evolution" on earth began sometime after the solidification of the planet, and it is meaningless to apply the word to any earlier period. Our understanding of the behavior of the universe in the distant past is full of gaps.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.