Absolutely Nothing: Atheists on What They Know About What They Pretend to Discuss

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Tiassa, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No about an hour and a half drive from the coast.
    In the mountains.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Firstly, I never said it did.
    Secondly, this discussion isn’t about God’s existence.
    I said earlier that my position is “theist”, meaning I believe in God.
    I make no claims in this discussion that God exists. I will leave that for a more appropriate thread.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What’s the name of your district?
    Obviously I will understand if you don’t want to disclose that info?
    Mount Isa, perhaps?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No worries.
    Alex

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It's probably not on your map but between Tenterfield and Lismore.
    Alex

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummmm curiouser and curiouser

Obviously these are the wrong flavour religion

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I’m not saying evolution is wrong. I just don’t see how darwinism can be scientific fact, given that it cannot test, or observe its validity.
    As for the theory. I think it is good. Darwin was a very serious professional. From what I can understand of him, he was a serious, and dedicated professional.
    I don’t think you’ve really taken into consideration what they are saying. I think you’ve just fallen into the “Let’s get em” crowd.
    What do you mean by, “trying to prove science wrong”?
    Science is knowledge.
    Why would want to prove it wrong?

I don’t know that Darwin’s is a fact, although at my level, it doesn’t appear be.
    So I am asking why it is accepted as a science fact. But nobody seems to know. They just say something like “the evidence is overwhelming.
    Then they stick the boot in, when I say “I don’t see it.
    And then they hate me with a passion.
    Which gives them excuse to stop discussing intelligently, and to become totally irrational.

11. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Seen it.
    That seems quite a way from Melbourne.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Darwinism" is a meaningless term.

Darwinian Evolution is a theory. It is tested in the same ways all scientific theories are tested - for example, one uses a proposed theory to generate hypotheses, and then checks these hypotheses against observation to see if it worked.
    That has been done many times with Darwinian theory, and it has proved reliable and robust - as well as remarkably versatile and widely useful. It works very well.
    You are, and you are mistaken. Evolution is observed. It is such a predominant and commonly encountered pattern of event that a decent theory of it is a practical necessity in several scientific fields.

There are several theories of evolution, almost all of which apply at least occasionally - but Darwinian theory is by far the most important in biology and most other hard science fields. It is the theory that best explains the origin of species and other taxonomic categories of living being, for example (by a very large margin - it's the only theory we have that works) - a central and significant matter of interest in fields from medicine to artificial intelligence, agriculture to machine design.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That simply proves you don't know how the scientific method works. If you did, you would understand how it applies to evolution. This is just your ignorance speaking.

Then, why is it that so many others see it and you don't? Doesn't that speak volumes about your ignorance?

Since you wish to remain willfully ignorant of the scientific method, how it applies to evolution and seeing the evidence, then you are the one who has stopped discussing intelligently and are totally irrational. Unless you can show that you're willing to learn something, then you will always steer the discussion into irrational codswallop.

14. river

Our Intellect is evolving

Darwin was slow , turtle like progress . He is wrong .

Epigenetics changes everything .

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Jan Quixote, fighting the good fight aganst the windmills of his mind.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Evolution is both fast as in fruitflies and slow as in very large cpmplex organisms which merely refine themselves over time.

"Modern man" has evolved from "early man" over tens of thousands of years. A virus may mutate overnight.
    Both are the result of natural mathematical selection of which pattern is "best adapted" to procreate.

17. river

To your last statement .

Mathematics does not think .

living beings think .

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Mathematics process information...... "Input --> Processing--> Output".
    That is the unconscious equivalent of thinking. It is a quasi-intelligent function.

19. river

Mathematics is after the existence of physical forms . It is inevitable but has nothing to do with the exist of any physical form .

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Mathematics seems to self-organize the three fundamantal quanta (+Higgs?) in specific mathematical patterns, some of which are gaseous, some liquid, some solid.

These recurring patterns are abundantly observable thoughout the natural world and is already observable in chaotic media. Drain your bathwater and a spiral function emerges at the drain, why does it do that? Some galaxies exhibit spiral patterns, why?
    It's a mathematical function.

21. river

To your last statement .

A mathematical function has no physical properties.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

But physical phenomena are described by mathematical functions (which is what he said.)

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or, as known by the rest of the world - facts.
    Yes, it was. Follow the links and you will find the Wikipedia article on the Discovery Institute.
    You mean like how Pakicetus turned into modern whales.
    And you reject it.
    I will take that as your concession; it's what you usually do when you are beaten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.