What do you get from art?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Bowser, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Art need not always enoble or elevate. Oftentimes it may simply demonstrate a truth or reality, in all of its baseness and ugliness. In its most general sense, art expresses the nature of Being, from the profane to the profound. Munch's "the Scream" comes to mind, along with several by Goya and Francis Bacon.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Some objects provoke an emotional response without being "good art" or even "art". Simply conveying a message or provoking a reaction is insufficient to promote same to those status.

The 'artist' who placed the fat from her liposuction (body fat removal surgery) into clear plastic boxes and sold those at auction succeeded in provoking a reaction with them. There is a range that goes from "art object" -> "not an art object". Also from "good art" -> "bad art". No-one here has denied that, but thanks for the reminder anyways.

Re "martial arts": I hold an advanced graduate black belt in the Korean martial art of Taekwondo. I am a "martial artist" (43 years) . I am also a "professional free - lance fine artist" (48 years), university graduate + post grad. Those are 2 very different things, even though they both have the word "artist" in them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

I think it's anyway, not anyways, but anyway, I like this little guy's description.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

There are two reasons why I don't like to call myself an artist:
    1. There are some very good artists and I don't want to equate myself with them.
    2. There are some very bad "artists" and I don't want to be associated with them either.

Bebelina and joepistole like this.
  8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

On the Internet, it is my observation that speeling is pletty much irrelevant, unless one is an ossifer of the Spelling Police.

This especially with an audience chock full of ESL folks that have to use online translators and the odd troll.....anyways.

Well, at least he has an energetic presentation, but the "creativity is close to insanity" thing is old news. Didn't Freud say something about that in the late 1800's?

I got a DBA (Doing Business As) from the county court house in 1967 when I formally began selling my artwork professionally and had to start filing Federal income tax forms with the IRS and paying taxes on my profit from that. Still got one of those on the studio wall as required by the law. Yep, I am aware that there are many who claim to be "artists" that give the profession a bad name, we have been discussing some of them here. That is not my problem, gratefully. They can try to live/work up to my standards if they wish, then maybe they will constitute competition. I associate with a few local "artists", though most are more like "artistes" (hobby level casuals). I don't do false humility as I deal with some pretty serious professionals that don't tolerate shuffling, silliness and hooey. After doing this for 48 years I find no need to apologize for myself or my work. The casuals, jokers and wannabes are on their own.

When the state of Michigan sent out a wide public call for bids to create a hologram master model for the state seal, I was the only artist who put in a bid. I got the job, did the work and now the state treasury routinely uses a holographic seal taken from my model on $10k state bearer bonds and other official state treasury documents. I should be shy about that? Why? It is now part of my resume, and, like the book cover commission I did for William Shatner and various other successful projects, it gives me credibility and substance when I walk in the door. I don't equate myself to anybody as I am pretty much unique, have my own style and capabilities, though, like a farmer, I am out standing in my field.

9. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

It's not just the spelling. Ten bucks says that you also pronounce it with an 's'.

He has a playlist on creativity. They’re all pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7eeGkHcenS75D3X73YfcSAQ1QPKxUxf

Do you have anything that you can show us, Stoniphi?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Spellbound likes this.
  10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

"I believe that art has a moral responsibility, that it must pursue something higher than itself. Art must be a part of life. It must exist in the domain of the common man. It must be an enriching, ennobling and vital partner in the public pursuit of civilization. It should be a majestic presence in everyday life just as it was in the past"
    Frederick Hart

Write4U likes this.
  11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Are you familiar with Joseph Beuys? Just read a book about him, or parts of it anyway. The Fluxus movement, the time he tied himself up naked and pretended to be a dog or something "chained by society" (?) etc, the heartshaped shovel with two handles? The fixation with grease,
    It was so easy to be new before.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't believe that you are sincerely interested in either my spelling abilities or my accent.

FWIW, I usually sound Canadian when outstate, Detroit street while instate. I use vernacular, slang, cuss sometimes and very frequently deliberately mispronounce words in normal conversation to make with the wise (humour). I also tend to sprinkle languages other than English in said conversation...but I digress.

I had some stuff in my gallery here before we changed the software/format. I think it is gone. Let me see if I can't scrounge something up to share later though. Now I gotta hit the back country with my Labrador and the wife. Not often she passes on hot yoga to go with us so I can't miss this!

Spellbound likes this.
  13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would like to see your artwork as well. My expectations are pretty high, though.

sideshowbob likes this.
  14. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

I've always defined creativity as the ability to make use of language. Both verbal and non-verbal.

15. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

HAHAHAAHAHAHAH! e yay. Whoa yay.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree, Art is not always pretty, but as long as it evokes an emotional response that leads to serious thought it has fullfilled its purpose.

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Done and done (a new thread), hope the stuff is somewhere in the ballpark of your expectations.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

May I offer a post-script: "Natura Artis Magistra" (Latin for "Nature is the teacher of art and science"),

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If I may offer a post-script: "Natura Artis Magistra" (Nature is the teacher of arts and sciences)

An interesting link can be found here; http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Natura_Artis_Magistra

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Very interesting indeed, thanks.