What do you think is the opposite of fear?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by jandt, Dec 10, 2002.

1. jandt remlik Registered Senior Member

Don't worry, I am going somewhere with this, but first I would like to hear what some define as fears equal and opposite.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Indifference.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Bemusement.

(If that's a word

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

horny

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

No way, Joeman. Fear turns me on, in certain situations. The two have a connection.

Indifference is close, but bemusement or amusement is, for me, the true opposite of fear.

I've been in situations where I was supposed to be afraid, and only realized how ridiculous the menace was.

9. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Knowledge

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

It is often said that love is the oposite of fear.

Are emotions like colors? Like light? Well.. for sure emotions share some of the properties of a kaleidescope. Okay, I'll stop talking for now. Kind of silly, pardon.

Maybe uhm... infatuation is the opposite of fear eh?

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Love and fear are also connected.

12. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

bravery

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Isn't bravery the conquest of fear?

14. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

fearless

15. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

if you look at it in a certain way, yes.....although I would consider courage to be the conquest of fear.

To me, bravery is to have no fear at all. What comes first, bravery or fear? Is it possible to not have fear? Ignorance may bring bravery, yet conquering fear may also teach you bravery.

If you don't like contradictions or conditions, then I would say love or
    is even better.

16. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

By definition, fear is...

A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.

------

Therefore, the opposite would be absence of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger. This, I think, is called SECURITY.

By definition, security is...

Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
    Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.

------

I will stick with security...

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

grazzhoppa:
    But I am in love, and I can't say that I feel no fear. I mean, yeah, I'm more reckless and bitchy, but I still feel fear - does this person love me or are they just using me? When will they leave? Am I going to end up being controlled by them by virtue of my love for them? Will he end up failing in his "own characteristic war"?

Etc, etc.

I'd say that love can intensify fear. I like what I said and what Solidius said best.

Security is indeed the opposite of fear. I know this because sometimes I feel secure in my infatuation and I no longer worry about what is happening to me.

Blah. I sound like such a fucking chick.

18. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Love. :m:

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

So love of POT is the opposite of fear????

I'm down. What the hell.

Oh yeah.. and the person who said security was right. That was a good point. *gong/cowtow*

20. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

No, not love of pot, but love as a feeling, as a state of being. Security is a good description what it feels like when you feel love too.

21. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

No sense of humor? Hello???

(if you notice I said love before you so I stick my tongue out at you in a vigorous and teasing manner)

Oh, but the guy made a point that surpasses love, you can feel "love" and have "fear" at the same time, thereby making "security" a far more accurate description of the opposite of fear. It may have been what we were trying to get at by saying love or infatution, but security is correct as the exact opposite but love or infatution is a few steps removed. So SoliDUS (tried to spell it right) is as correct as is possible.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  22. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I'll say assurance.

23. jandt remlik Registered Senior Member

Amazing answers

the one that spoke the most to me was 'knowledge'. I have to think about that for a while.

Love, I believe, is the opposite of fear. One leads to the creation, sustaining, and enhancement of life and the quality of our lives, and the other to a myriad of deaths, emotional, mental, physical, of relationships, etc.......

Beyond all else, how we deal with our fears and express love, is central to our time here.

Within the context of our modern day society, these matters seem almost inconsequencial, yet paradoxically, these ethereal experiences are the most important aspects of our physical existence.