What does "Christ" mean?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by jmpet, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Let me paint a little picture for you.

God- as told in the Bible- chose Aaron to run the priesthood that controlled the Ark of the Covenant- with Aaron existed the recipe for the Holy Anointing Oil.

The Holy Anointing Oil was used to sanctify the Ark through incense- - to issue clouds of pot smoke, to awaken the spirit of The Lord. The Aaronites would burn this oil in the temple of the ark, get high out of their minds, then see God through the smoke. Hmmm. (Makes me wonder what Moses' burning bush was...)

The Holy Anointing Oil was also used to, well, anoint people. An oil made mostly of pot, people were meant to be covered in this stuff, then washed off of this oil in a fresh river to see clarity (much as Jesus was anointed and saw the heavens tear open).

So yes- this is a PSA for pot awareness- marijuana shaped "Christ"ianity into what it has become today!

But there is also a story behind it, which, from this point of view is nothing but a PSA for pot.

The only way you could get this Holy Anointing Oil was from the rabbis at the temple and they gave it out sparingly. You could buy the authentic oil for a price, I mean, a substantial donation to the Temple.

Jesus was against this. The recipe was well known and the ingredients (pot) actually work- it really IS a holy oil. Why pay the priests when you can make it yourself? This is why he overturned the tables and caused a ruckus- this was God's recipe to reach God and it has become a business.

Jesus took the Holy Anointing Oil and freely gave it out to everyone who needed it. This is what set him at odds with the rabbis- THIS is why they singled him out and crucified him... Jesus was a pot dealer!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Drphail Banned Banned

christ is fake, and all that follow him need a reality check, go outside and find a real hobby

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Makes no sense to me- please elaborate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nobody here is arguing that the character of Jesus was a real historical person. We're just arguing over the etymology of the name given to that character in the bible, and now about the various types of herbs that were used in religious ceremonies.

This is the Comparative Religion board, not the Religion board. No one comes here to proselytize. Chill out.

8. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

The designation of "Christ" (God's Anointed) bears with it a whole history of definition and expectation. This is a good resource for information: JewishEncyclopedia: Messiah

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: You just gave me an idea. What does "anointed" mean in relation to the sun, stars, planets or constellations? This could be deeper than I thought. Could it mean "one who has the sun shining on them?"

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: You are referring to the mythical fruit (aren't you?).

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm trying to figure out why on earth people would take this "eating of fruit" concept so literally. as if knowledge grows on trees. there are metaphorical implications of fruit and of trees all over the bible.

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

MW, where do you get the idea that fruit (either an apple, or an outcome) is mythical? apples and outcomes are not myths, they are very real things.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Don't get too involved with the English translation of the Greek translation of a Hebrew word! That's not good science. You need to look into Hebrew etymology and the Jewish usage of Hebrew words. The source that Jen provided does not go into a linguistic analysis of Mashiach so it's no help on this score. But every source I've been able to find insists that it means "to smear with oil." Not only does Greek have a word Christos that is a precise literal translation of Mashiach, but so does Latin: inunguere. Apparently this was a very common and important concept in the civilizations of the classical era, a process used for healing as well as ritual. I think trying to read anything more into it is just fanciful speculation.
    Well of course. Still it's worth noting that they didn't have apples in ancient Mesopotamia. Any reference to them was by Europeans or Levantines who were not familiar with pomegranates.

We do that all the time. The American buffalo is not a buffalo at all, but a species of cattle. Skunks have their own order and are not polecats, members of the weasel order. The American robin is not a robin and the zebra wolf was a marsupial, neither an artiodactyl nor a canid. And I probably don't have to explain to anyone that the prairie dog is a rodent and the sea cow is a manatee.

Joseph Campbell, the most successful popularizer of Jungian psychology, pointed out that many people are simply incapable of grasping the concept of metaphor. To them, everything is either true or false. If you want to meet some of them go to Kentucky and stand outside the Creation Science Museum.

14. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Ooh pick me, pick me! I'm pretty sure that the anointing oil was myrrh!

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Apples grow on trees. I don't doubt apples are real. Outcomes are the result of things happening. I don't doubt they are real. Myths are figments of the imagination whether or not they are based on something that may have been real at one time. Specifically, the story of the GoE and A&E are myths. There were no apples in Eden, because Eden is a myth. According to the reading and research I have done on astro-theology, the GoE is represented by the zodiac. People created myths based on their ancient knowledge (or assumptions) of the god-like creatures in the sky. I'm not saying they were wrong for doing that. These myths were created for entertainment purposes only. They later became religions, based on changing perceptions as they evolved. The point is to learn what is a myth and what is real.

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Okay, you always have good answers. The thing I like about you Fraggie is that you always make me think! Astrotheologically speaking, when a man is out in the heat of the sun beating down on him, would the beads of his sweat on his brow serve to anoint him? Just a thought.

17. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Chirst well as it was said before that is what you say when you see something that is suprising Eg Chirst the woman is ugly. Or Jesus Christ I have told you once I have told you a thousand times dont inhale the gas before you lite your smoke.

18. hay_you Registered Member

Christ.... is a title from the Greek Khri‧stos′ is equivalent to the Hebrew 'Mashiach', Messiah; Anointed One. 'Christ' is not a mere added term to distinguish the Lord Jesus from others of the same name; it is an official title. Anointed means that you recieve a mention from someone else.

Jesus = Jehovah Is Salvation Jesus is the Lat. form of the Greek. I‧e‧sous′, which corresponds to the Heb. Yeshua‛ or Yehohshua‛,

Joab = Jehovah Is Father

Jonathan = Jehovah Has Given

John = Jehovah Has Shown Favor or Jehovah Has Been Gracious

Joseph = May Jah Add Increase; or Jah Has Added Increase. Jah is the shorten version of Jehovah

Hallelujah = praise Jah, you people

and many more.

If you use the Hebrew pronunciation Yeshua‛, then really, all the names I mentioned above and many others should change also. But these are the way it is pronounced in English.

The terms used in Christianity like: LORD, Lord, or God, are titles , and are not personal names. Kings were called Gods there are many false God's, and there are many lords.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah, but not in the sense that it's used in religion, which implies being anointed with oil or at least an oily liquid. Sweat is essentially water.
    To yell "Christ!" or "God!" or "Jesus!" in the old days was a violation of the rule about taking the Lord's name in vain, and was therefore blasphemy. To do so was the moral equivalent of cursing, e.g., "May God strike you dead!"

Language invariably absorbs curses and blasphemies into everyday speech over the centuries, as they become more familiar and lose their shock value. Witness today's office meetings run by female managers who throw around terms like "asshole" and "bullshit" without flinching. Or the use of "crap," "pussy" and "dick" on TV.

Four hundred years ago a man would have turned heads by yelling, "Christ, the Mongols are advancing over that mountain!" Today a woman does not turn heads by saying, "Christ, that man is ugly."
    "Lord" was the lord of the manor, a man of noble birth or appointment who was the leader of the "family," a word which originally meant simply a household and had no implication of blood relationships. The Christians regarded God as the leader of the entire family of man, so it was natural to refer to him as "Lord."

The Spanish word señor served the same purpose, although today it is simply a translation of "gentleman" or "Mr." In Spanish the word our Bible translates as "the Lord" is rendered as el Señor.

20. hay_you Registered Member

The one problem that exists because of this, is that, the word Lord or LORD or even God, replaced God's name with a title. This also makes it confusing to who you mean, when speaking about God. For instance The Jews knew God as Jehovah or probably 'Yahweh' ( even they are not sure how to pronounce it). So Christianity is not serving the same God as the Jews. Christianity calls Jesus, God, or Lord ( LORD ) and has effectively, taken God's name,and God, out of the bible. The Jews were expecting God's Son to come ( Jesus), not God ( Jehovah ) himself.
    So Christianity, is following God's Son not God. If you read some of Christianities bibles , there is no distinction, between God and his Son. But Jesus always made that distinction.

Jehovah = meaning 'He Causes to Become'

Jesus = meaning 'Jehovah Is Salvation'

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

to me, christ means the perfection of the human existence. yes, salvation from what is in err. restored communion with god and each other. redemption. i'm very much looking forward to it.

thanks, jesus.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If you wound up in Islamic hell, for example, would you be disappointed?

You can thank Muhammad for that, btw.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and what makes islamic hell so special Q?

btw, your fate isn't determined by your religion, it's determined by your perception.