What does God want?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Jun 8, 2018.

1. river

What point ? Post #

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

If god simply wanted subservience, we woud have a different world.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

We are in that world .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

The point that if you have to embellish your empathy with science or imagination, that spells one end of the spectrum ... and if you have to dull it so you discreetly hide the murderous tools of the trade, that is the other ... this is a sort of crude barometer for determining the ethics of eating, and is at least a suitable means for an introduction to the subject (IOW you can fine tune it further).

8. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Yes, a world where we are not subservient to God. So God has other interests than mere obedience.

9. river

Start a new thread then

10. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

The whole point of pointing out the meat industry was to provide an example of a rampant habit in contemporary society that in the future (more civilized world) could draw severe criticism. Such advancement could occur through transcendental treatises that allude to equality despite the obvious inequality material vision provides us with. IOW, penning something like the DoI provides a timeless framework for continued advancement, rather than some attempt to define political relationships (as with capitalist/communist manifestos) which will inevitably become antiquated as time goes on.

11. river

I get that , hence why I go organic fruits and vegetables and organic grass feed meat .

They are a more Humane farming methods

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  12. river

god wants Humans to be subservient to him. Thats it thats all .

13. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

The problem is that we don't appear to live in a world where that is the case. Some communist regimes seem to have a better idea how to implement such an end ... hence God has a grander scheme than mere subservience or obedience.

14. river

Never mind Russia , at least three quarters of this planet believe in the abrahamic god .

Muslims , Christians and Jews

15. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

So?

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This makes no sense.

Ostensibly, God gave us free will, and then disappeared for (depending on who you ask) several millennia - or at least stopped explicitly telling us what to do. This is not the act of someone who wants control.

I think you're confusing what God wants with what religious leaders want us to think God wants.

I bet, if God showed up today, he'd say

"Hey, all you religions: what makes you think you can speak for me? I gave all my people free will, so they could decide for themselves if they want to worship me. Even the atheists - if they don't want to, well, I gave them that ability. I gave it to them.

You know what I didn't do? I didn't tell anyone they could control people on my behalf. So here, religions, have some smiting."

17. river

Yeah I bet you got it all wrong .

The first hint is the tower of babel . Confuse the Humans through language so that they cannot function cooperatively as a whole .

It worked flawlessly .

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I thought you didn't put stock in the Abrahamic religions?

You surely don't believe the Tower of Babel parable was real? The whole God made them all talk diff'nt thing.

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    The problem is we live in a world which does not appear to have a god. Scripture says god wants total obedience & shows that god cannot handle humans being the humans it created.

<>

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. river

First , the tower of babel is not abrahmic .

It is real , enlil in the ancient times found that Humans wanted to be like him . Reach for the sky .

He didn't like this , so he scrambled the common language into many .

21. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Either that, or the fact that we live in a world where God apparently does not exist is further evidence that its not all about mere obedience.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Do you think you have a point.

<>

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The Tower of Babel is real; I was talking about the parable - God messing with languages - that was in the Bible.

But seriously, you don't assert that as a historical event.