What does God want?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

There are entire troves of philosophical means to navigate the relationships between physical and metaphysical concepts.

If you think such things automatically transgress the realms of reality, you are talking less about reality and more about your beliefs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    You cannot answer the question yet you pretended to answer it.

<>
    Accident. This was meant to reply to Musika's latest.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

What?
    Your "eureka" moment when it was suggested tools of discrimination are the precursor for any philosophical conclusion?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am talking about sentience and motivated actions philosophically assigned to a metaphysical being named God.

Pray tell how one can come to a philosophy of metaphysical sentience and motivated action, when the only sentience and motivated action we know of is an exclusive property of physical attributes, such as micro-tubules and neurons.

Smacks of woo, IMO

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Bold is begging the question.
    The very question of "knowing the sentience of God" is the precise problem under debate.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    It is like answering how to go to Chicago with start walking then saying to use discrimination to figure which direction to walk. It does not answer anything.

<>

10. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Yet, to go back to your "eureka moment", iirc, you mentioned 3 possible avenues of discrimination.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    What the heck are you talking about with eureka moment???

<>

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Ok, then I'll defer to George Carlin who IMO closed this ridiculous debate once and for all time.

13. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

The whole "scary" thing which you somehow interpreted as a question of yours, too difficult to answer (as opposed to arriving at a conclusion that is merely preliminary information to a question being posed )

14. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Then its safe to say that if you rely on stand up comedians for your philosophy, its a joke.

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    It was a silly childish thing to say, the best I could tell. Initially, I asked you why it is scary but you would not answer. Perhaps if you answered that, I would have thought otherwise.
    It was not a matter of answering my question but explaining your supposed answer to James' question.

<>

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    He did not say or imply that he relies on Carlin for anything except a convenient way to express something.
    Did you watch the video?

<>

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And you rely on men dressed in black frocks for your philosophy, it's a power scheme. The ball remains in your court.

But note we are not discussing the actual mechanism by which God could arrive at sentient and motivated choices and physical creation.
    Don't you see, this debate is doomed to always remain at the fringes of woo.

18. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Well actually I rely on philosophy. Pretty sure that anyone who tried to make jokes about Stephen Hawking's appearance to discredit anything he said would also come across as a doofus.

19. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

As I said, its preliminary to the question, not a problem to the question.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Completely irrelevant.

Carlin's words cannot be discredited, just because he framed them as jokes. The audience's response clearly showed their acknowledgement of the truths contained in his observations.

21. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

So if someone can make large numbers of a particular audience laugh, that indicates they are speaking truthfully?
    Interesting grounds for establishing philosophy as irrelevant ...

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    You recall incorrectly. You mentioned 3 sources of information on how to know what god wants then you mentioned discrimination.

<>

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes of course George Carlin proves that beyond doubt☺
    Alex