What Does The Community Want From Its Moderators?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Apr 16, 2004.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Recent (not new) complaints from a vocal minority about the manner in which some wicked, fascist baby-eating elitist moderators conduct themselves has again led to no constructive conversation. As SciForums continues to expand, it is experiencing growing pains typical to many forums its size. The administrator and moderators have posted the guidelines that we expect of you, so how about some feedback on what you would like of us?

Be constructive; be impartial.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The moderators should try to follow the guidelines set by the administrator and moderators.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Leviticus Banned Banned

they should follow the guidlines and not be evil to the small people in this forum like me.

(like cancelling my threads)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

I second that. No being offensive to others, even if you are superior *sigh*

8. Leviticus Banned Banned

like me (laugh at the superiorness and the irony of that superiorness)
    should allow a little bit of ranting- but only the type that gets on peoples nerves, not the type that hurts peoples feelings etc.

9. Bells Staff Member

The moderators should follow the rules that they expect other members to follow in their forums.

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Are the guidelines as posted reasonable? How should they be enforced?

:m: Peace.

11. Leviticus Banned Banned

havent actually read them 'lol'

12. Bells Staff Member

The guidelines are reasonable. The manner in which it is enforced as far as the members are concerned is fairly reasonable. However the rules and guidelines should be enforced and applied to ALL members in the same way, moderators included. As moderators I'm sure most try to be fair. However the question remains, who's watching the watchers?

13. Leviticus Banned Banned

they watch each other

LOLOLOL i love that line

14. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Devolution of the moderators.

No matter what the guidelines are, evolution suggests that every attempt to eradicate autocracy is always worth attempting. There is absolutely no need of moderators here. Instead Rating along with comments should be allowed where in messages should be hidden if marked vicious by previous reader and instead the comment should be visible, if this comment is also vicious then it too should be markable and so on. If the rating becomes positive by other readers then it should again become directly visible and vice versa.

The messages that are hidden should be readable when reader clicks on a + sign.

The evolution has suggested this : http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=34298.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  15. Leviticus Banned Banned

YAR I AGREE
    I
    THINK
    THE
    MODS
    SHOULD
    NOT
    BE
    MODS
    NO
    MORE
    and the lord saw and it WAS GOOD

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

They don't have to be enforced to the letter, more to the spirit of them.

Some slip ups are allowed, but if a certain member starts increasing the workload of a moderator considerably then there is a problem.

At this point there are two options. Either there will be a poll in SOFG forum on what to do, or the moderators/administration decide themselves.

In any case, some warning is always appreciated. Let us assume that everybody has good intentions and a warning should make clear that their actions are not seen as actually something good, despite their good intentions.

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ban more people. Or at least threaten to ban more people. I want moderators to throw up proposals to ban people more frequently over things like being boring or consistently wrong. It would just humilate the offender and maybe smack them back into line.
    I should really be a moderator.
    Goofy wouldn't you like a moderator that makes you look like a saint in comparison? I'd love to be the villainous mod everyone hated. Kind of like vince mcmahon from the wwe but a sciforums version. You're too diplomatic IMHO, you should be seen as the good guy.
    Like check out this leviticus character, he'd be gone if it was up to me.
    I'd like to see you become a bit more of a hard ass goof.
    Thats my request.
    There should be some kind of darwinian structure to sciforums. It reminds me of everything i hate about modern society what with all the leviticus types surviving into adulthood in the name of 'human rights'. Moderators should be hawks, picking out the vulnerable, or wolves isolating stragglers and finishing them. I'd actually love to live under a regime at sciforums, it would just be interesting. Rather than complaining about mods you fear them. haha that would just be cool.
    Isn't anyone else sick of the ned flanders mindset so prevelant today and oh so prevelant at sciforums?
    Leviticus making a case for his rights

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

he should be begging for his cyber-life.
    Thats how I feel about it anyway. Like you said sciforums is expanding, you don't want to lose control right? you need more troops and stricter laws when it comes to dragging down the site.
    You and porf obviously get irritated with these spoiled punks making outlandish requests. Be true to yourself and execute them on a whim. Then cover up their disapearance with elaborate lies.
    This place could be really interesting if 'being nice' was thrown to the bottom of the priority list.

(Disclaimer; this disclaimer is in place to reduce the would-be comedic value of banning me 'on a whim' for this post. Thus making the idea less attractive to goofy fish and porf alike.)

(2nd disclaimer; this one is in place in case you find the idea of overriding a disclaimer attractive)

18. Leviticus Banned Banned

you live up to your name again.
    if i were mod, you would be GODDAM DEAD.
    get bent, i would rule you all
    actually, one good thing that could happen is if all the useless members who joined up for like a day and then never returned. they should be gotten rid of.
    also .... screw this.
    flaming should be allowed, verbal abuse should be made legel, nay, compulsory, and people like Lou Natic should be banned.
    the reason being. they have mini flames at people like me who are (obviously superior and much more intelligent 'lol' at any point there) better than them and then start creeping to the others about why they should not be banned.
    at least when i flame i can do it properly.

as a reminder:

(Disclaimer; this disclaimer is in place to reduce the would-be comedic value of banning me 'on a whim' for this post. Thus making the idea less attractive to goofy fish and porf alike.)
    or putting things like this in their posts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

to make them seem alrite and trying to mask their flame

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

More evidence i should be a mod ^

20. Leviticus Banned Banned

what evidence is that?
    anyway, anyone who seeks power, does not deserve it.
    (lol thus since i have not vied for modship i should be a mod.
    dam i really dont)

21. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what items of values do you moderators have?

22. Leviticus Banned Banned

lol they ahve none, they are just the aristocracy of the forums being given unnecesary power.

DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM
    lmao

23. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

you're all out of order
    the whole system is out of order

what?

BRING BACK THE WHEEL OF DEATH

or the wheel of fish

huh?

(claimer... meh... what he said)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004