What Does The Community Want From Its Moderators?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Spyke Registered Senior Member

I would like to see more refreshments served.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Princess Science Dork Registered Senior Member

Moderators have a duty to be impartial and objective. Posters should have equal opportunities to express their opinion even if it differs from that of a moderator. It is hard to be an objective moderator while you are participating in the discussion.

It would be helpful if an explanation accompanied the padlocking of threads. Something along the lines of "This thread is closed because it is degrading/inflammatory/vulgar/etc."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

A very small minority think that the mods here do a bad job. I think the mods do a great job. There should be freedom of speech as regards opinions, (Proud Muslim); but the odd conspiracy theorists that pop up here should be axed immediately.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Leviticus Banned Banned

It looks to me like they dont do anything.

8. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

The mods do indeed have some work here.
    How it looks to you is completely irrelevant to their functioning isn't it?

9. Leviticus Banned Banned

yes that is true. but if they want to keeps bing mods (not that my view makes any difference) they should SAY what they do so as to stop us scum from moaning.

10. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

I believe everything is quite transparent. What exactly should they say?

11. Leviticus Banned Banned

i dont know, since as i said, i dont know what they actually do.....

12. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Exactly. So what do you have to complain about?

13. Leviticus Banned Banned

i want to know what it is they do.
    if they do what they do well then i can leave this thread forever, if not i need to complain dont i??

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

when the mods delete/alter/close a thread/post a simple post stating why is very welcome, nothing fansy, just a 1 or 2 lines telling why.

if/when mistakes are made admit it, instead of going all defensive and try to hid it, it will clear the problem much faster

not a bad idea, im not to difficult, i would like a Cocio(*)...the big one ofcause...cold.. oh and not the "light" version.
    come to think of it i would like a light cocio to, never tastest it, and some candy.

* its something local, and you cannot have any hah

15. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

I would like to see more outrageous and violent immoderation by so-called moderators. That would make it easier for me to quit this place and go do something worthwhile.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I personally don't mind if moderators change or delete my posts. They have never deleted a serious or good post yet.

Most of the time you do not get notified and this is quite understandable since it would increase the workload considerably for the moderators.

I can imagine that some people really get upset when a post or thread gets deleted, but you must first question yourself on the nature of your own posts. Then think if you might be able to improve on the previous post. If not, let it go. If you can, try again (but not 5 minutes later). Give it a rest for a day. Think if it is really important. Think how you can improve your post.

And in the end realize it is just a forum. We are not writing a new version of the bible.

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

having a little msg. stating what and why there was an edit is purely informative, and so the work in not hidden in the background, disrupting the flow or turning in to censur.

perhaps it will also make the mods think twise, if they have to spend a few sec typing a msg... well unless they create a set of standard replies that is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

perhaps the bible was made by someone taking notes at the local funny farm.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The moderators should have pictures of themselves dressed in clown suits in place of their avatars. That way, if anyone ever gets upset because his or her thread has been closed or posts deleted, one can simply look at the moderators avatar, have a good chuckle and move on.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Sometimes it is just too obvious. The last edit I noticed was when the words 'oh fuck' or something were taken out. I didn't need a message to understand why.

20. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Oh... I think you mean Proud Muslim.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think we need more mods... just for this subforum alone!

22. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

true some of the petty stuff dont need any comments, i was thinking on something bigger then simple profanity, why edit that anyway its a waste of time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bottom line is i would like to see why and by who posts get altered. I would prefere if nothing was altered at all, but that will never happen.

23. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I agree. I think several mods are needed. I think Pseudoscience and Parapsychology should both have one, the same goes for some other sections. I would also say that Free Thoughts needs one, and I haven't seen Congrats* in about forever... Should A&C get a new one to?

*Last Activity: 12-31-03 04:54 PM

-- The Grand Dragon Gizzard