What Does The Community Want From Its Moderators?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Anyone who thinks this is free, and strongly encouraged, to leave sciforums.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Leviticus Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No I'm serious I think the mods do their job (that they are not paid for) well, and try to keep the flaming and crap down, unfortunately there always seems to be allot more flaming carp around then they can handle!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

We need more moderators.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Here are rules I would like to see some of our moderators follow:

1. Do not delete post, just delete everything on the post and replace it with a small one/two sentance note such as
    "Mod deleted post content: its was full of insults and fallacies, had no decent content."
    or
    "Mod deleted post content: it was crap, down to hell with it"
    This should not take very long as compared to deleting of hand. You can also delete several post in a row as long as one remains with a explanation on why.

2. Note all editing to post. this is so we can understand what you did and so that the edited person won't change it without know full well that s/he is editing a moderator (according to sciforum laws this is grounds for banishment)

3. When a post is locked say why in 1/2 sentences, So we can all know what happened.

9. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

I agree with Fetus' points

But I still think the wheel of death has merit.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

We'll I can extend my positioning if necessary, especially since it looks like Goofyfish needs some help dealing with the constant debate of ETI's and Rocks in Pseudoscience.

Admittedly it would be different from my current and hopeful useful position within "Computer Science & Culture", since currently most people post near enough on topic and discuss what the actual thread is about. In certain respects the only real editing I do is a little cleanup here and there when a person posts multiple threads on the same subject and a few deleted posts removed from being mentioned as deleted from the thread.

I know Pseudoscience does need people to realise that the whole aspect of a Forums is it's about discussion, and notibly what everyone should realise is the discussion should be attempting to create "Constructive Criticism" in some cases.

However currently what people view "Forums" to be, would have previously been that for the Stocks where wrotten fruit & vegetables and heavy doses of mocking would occur.

(Kind of reminds me of certain Darwinistic traits of howling monkeys, and how they throw feces at one of their own kind to show their disapproval of mingling with them.)

I can understand that the normal board users don't want to see us moderator's issued with Batons and ordered to keep you all in line (although I'm sure some moderators would like to abuse that to all extents)

Without moderators this forum would fall foul of the Howling Monkey™ presence, and all your posts would no longer seemingly smell of roses (although roses do tend to grow well on a good bed of dung, but thats usually put their by the gardeners.)

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ugh!!!

Has anyone considered there is no problem with the moderators? The whiny, ingreat, trolling bitchy posters are the problems. Most who complain vehemently about moderator abuse are the whack jobs who get wet at the idea of an alien anal probing them and then compain when their idiotic rantings are shut down.

This is a WEBSITE...not a fucking government....the mods or administrators don't owe anyone here anything. Stop being so incited about a website and how it supresses your freedom....fucking ingreats.

The mods here are the best I have seen of any forum. The things they let people get away with here are astronomically more conterversial and graphic then on most other forums.

Grow up and stop complaining about how mods are power hungry here. After you start 11 threads on the same subject you deserve to be shot, not shut down.

12. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

I once trolled into a neo-conservative forum. my first post was well disguised, i thought. i merely asked if an ann coulter essay, attacking a parapalegic viet nam war vet running for senate, was over the top.

i was booted within the hour.

very low tolerance there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but they're extremely fun to tease.

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Sarge. If you notice most of the complants do come from nut jobs. I can think of a few names right now.