What evidence would work?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Crcata, May 17, 2016.

1. river

Yes but ; Billy T ; you have no idea how unique this planet is ; in the bigger picture of our galaxy.

And even if this planet of ours is " common place " an intelligent being is still drawn towards our planet just out of simple curiosity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

We once believed the Earth was the center of the Universe, then at least our Sun was the center, and when that was found to be faulty, we could take comfort in the hypothesis that we were the center of the galaxy, but alas, eventually we discovered we were situated in the outer suburbs of one spiral arm, but again we sought comfort in pretending the galaxy was the center, then lo and behold it was revealed that we were just one of billions of galaxies, and that was just within the observable universe.
    So much for being unique.

And of course no conclusive evidence exists to indicate that any ETI have visited us.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

This planet is unique pad .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Other than the knowledge of life on this planet, and as yet no conclusive evidence of it not existing elsewhere, our planet certainly is not unique.
    Unless of course you know something that our professional scientists/cosmologists/Astronomers/Astrophysicists do not know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I would hazard a guess and say you are once again trolling.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  8. river

You missed my point pad .

This planet is unique because it is OUR place of Human existence .

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I missed nothing my friend.
    Like I said, unless it is shown conclusively that this planet is the only one with advanced beings [relatively speaking] then we are just one more planet among the many billions that probably exist.
    Humanity may just be one of many results of 13.83 billion years of evolution.

10. river

SO WHAT !!!

Humanity ; it's existence is what makes this planet unique.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Who ever said humanity was anything special?
    How do you know?
    This is similar to the Ptolemy belief of an earth centered universe.
    Billions of planets out there, maybe trillions, and you suggest humanity is unique? Or that Earth is unique because it has humanity?

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If it could be shown that this planet was and is the only planet in the whole Universe, that had evolved life to the peak of what humanity supposedly is, then yes, it may then be classed as unique.
    Otherwise saying it is unique is just wrong.

13. river

Don't you understand pad ?

Have you lost your sense of Humanity ; have many of us done this ?

Many have .

I have not .

river

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

If Krash had an issue with the PM then there is a "report" button for that on the PM. But posting that PM in public without permission is a pretty key rule, I'd have thought? I think the clue is in the title, right? Private messaging, not Public messaging.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not exactly private once you hit the report button. Guess he'd be banned for that too.

16. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Reports are private in that they are not available for public viewing by members.

To wit, no, reporting a PM will not see you banned for breach of privacy in regards to a PM.

Posting the content of a Private Message in the public forum without consent from the other party(s) to that private conversation is an extreme breach of privacy and is strictly frowned upon by staff and members alike. And yes, people have been banned permanently when they have done it.

There are very few occasions when even moderators and administrators share the contents of Private Messages in the private moderator's forum and those occasions are exceptionally rare and usually involve a situation where a huge problem has arisen and moderator(s) involved in said situation want to make sure that all staff members and admin and the site's owners are aware of what is going on and what is being said at all times.

17. Yazata Valued Senior Member

If we went back to the origin of life on Earth and replayed the whole history of evolution over again, we almost certainly wouldn't end up with human beings like ourselves a second time. I don't think that most people realize quite how contingent the history of evolution has been. Imagined abstractly, life expands like a tree outward into an unbounded and almost infinite possibility-space, where every point, the tip of every branch, is a different result, a different kind of organism, a different manner of life. The precise shape of the tree is the result of all kinds of conditions, environmental, ecological, competition between different species, the developments of diseases and disease resistance and countless other variables.

Run evolution a second time, and we almost certainly would end up with a different evolutionary tree. We might end up with different kinds of cells, with different chemical pathways, membranes, genetic code and so on. If whatever killed off the dinosaurs didn't happen, mammals might not have enjoyed their subsequent success. The dominant form of dry land animal life might not even be tetrapod chordates if things with different body plans emerged from the oceans long ago and established themselves on land.

And that's right here on Earth. Imagine another planet where conditions are significantly different.

There's unlikely to be anything quite like it or us anywhere else in the universe.

Human beings understand each other. We can talk to each other. We have an applicable innate 'theory of mind' and can attribute thoughts, intentions and emotions to others of our kind. We love each other. There are things we share, like a sense of beauty. That's all stuff that emerges from our evolutionary history, it's things that our ancestors evolved to do in their social groups.

If we ever encounter space-aliens, it's unlikely that we will be able to communicate. Maybe simple mathematics, but not much beyond that. Their innate communicative instincts will have taken very different form than ours. We probably won't have much of a clue what they are thinking. Imagine a nest of intelligent social insects bustling around like ants. Are the insects distinct psychological individuals or do they function more like a group mind? What if they communicate chemically, with very subtle pheremones that they detect with their antennae? What if they/it thinks and conceptualizes abstract ideas in terms of smells? We might be able to form hypotheses about what their intentions were from looking at the results of their labors, but probably not by talking to them.

I don't think that anyone has to deny the possibility of space-aliens to say that human beings are probably unique. Each species of space aliens will be unique too. Just... different.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Magical Realist likes this.
  18. billvon Valued Senior Member

And somewhere else in the universe there's another species thinking exactly the same thing about their planet.

paddoboy likes this.
  19. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

comical--

(shrugs)-- i have no inkling of care if i am believed or not.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

MY god-- comical.

21. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

ahh--yes-yes, more rules violation from bells and the pathetic pad, how typical.

22. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

(shakes head)--whatever. then it is a wonder why this place is simply, only, a cesspool.

23. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

existence-- simple.
    does this not ,in a sense, contradict the whole " there is no evidence for aliens " stance?--simply because since there is no evidence, then that implies that humans are the only, which then makes humanity " unique."

simply because this has nothing to do with rivers comments, this is irrelevant and does not make any sense, please explain how it is similar.