What failed event would have had the greatest effect on the world?

Discussion in 'History' started by Neurocomp2003, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

We've had so many posts about which significant event(or top10) or man/woman(or top10) has changed our world.

I'm curious to know what event you guys think would have had the greatest impact on our world if it had succeeded in taking shape or had failed.

For example:
    1) Like if we didn't have home computers(if computers still required those punch cards)
    2) or like if alexander or napolean had succeeded to take india and russia respectively.
    3) hitler never lost the war(that is to say the allies losing)
    4) the phone was never invented

The one I think would have teh greatest impact would be if genghis khan's sons never broke up his land.

I mean if the event was an object, people would usually argue that if that inventor didn't create it someone else would have. So like fire, boats, phone, computers though significant would have been invented otherwise.

But for a society to crumble thats different. Thats why i picked genghis khan

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

In my opinion the biggest never happened scenario is two fold:

- The failed Moorish invasion of France.
    - The failed Ottoman advance on Vienna.

Those two imo would have changed the world forever, and America will still be under native rule today. An Islamic Europe would ensue, and there would be three world orders, Islamic, Russian, and Chinese.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spyke Registered Senior Member

The Ottomans failure at Vienna. In North America, Lee's decision to take the war into the North, which culminated with his failure at Gettysburg, possibly kept McClellan from defeating Lincoln in the '64 election and ending the Civil War, as was his campaign promise, with the Union permanently split.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

I think if Vikings had brought a handfull of europeon diseases to North America in the medievel ages then by the time the conquistadors got to the new world the native populations would already have been resistant to european diseases and probably would of been able to hold off invading forces desptite their low tech not to mention hand a different strain of infectious disease back to the europeans.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yes, had the Muslims been victorious at Tours we would all be living in a very different world today. Also, something significant, things might be different if Hirohito hadn't declared war on the United States.

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Failed intents of Hitler. One wonders what would have happened had Hitler's dreams been realized.

Had Athens won over Sparta in the Pelopenisian war (right war I hope)

Had Einstien decided not to quit his job at the Patent office and continued a life of ennui and dead end work.

Had he never proposed the idea of the atom bomb to the US during WWII.

10. Spyke Registered Senior Member

If Hitler had not been rejected by the Vienna Acadmey of Art...

11. Undecided Banned Banned

I think also another “what if”, would be, what if Alexander the Great lived much longer. I think the Roman Empire probably would have never happened, or you would have had a Roman empire that was in a "cold war" with the Greek empire in the East. I think that trade, philosophy, religion, and other such important things being traded east-west, west-east to create a much different world then today.

Another thing is the failure of Byzantium, and Christianity in the Middle East. I think that would have been the single most important event in our "common" era history. The idea of a Christian world from Portugal to India would have systematically changed the way the world works.

One more thing, if the Chinese were stupid and if they kept their expeditions to the Americas, and build colonies there, we would be in Europe right now, or we would be speaking Mandarin. The Chinese did come to America before any Europeans, I suggest you read 1421.

12. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

yes being chinese..i know how great the ancient society once was...we gave faith to too many bad leaders and crumbled under our own will.

i still think genghis khan would have expanded far greater than any other leader.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If the first man a woman on the Earth didn't have children.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

No radar in the UK in WW2? No Atomic bombs cos the right people didnt escape germany and others didnt get together at the right time? Ford died in an automobile crash? The Armada of 1588? The 1707 act of union of the parliaments of Scotalnd and englad hadnt gone through? Alaska hadnt been bought by the USA, or the louisiana purchase hadnt happened? Quinine hadnt been found? The structure of DNA not unravelled so early? Nietzche had died younger? There hadnt been the PLague in 14th century Europe? Malta had fallen to the turks in 1555 or so? The early europeans hadnt invented an improved, larger loom for weaving greater areas of cloth on?
    Ghengis Khan had fallen off his horse aged 9 and died? The Tao Te Ching had not been written down? Or how about the Vikings had not suffered overpopulation pressures and suchlike and never invaded Europe? that would have led to England still being Anglo-saxon, no Normans, less trade throughout central Russia, very few Icelanders, the early christian saxon and Irish civilisation would have been preserved.

15. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

If the big bang decided not to happen after all. :bugeye:

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

"If Hitler had not been rejected by the Vienna Acadmey of Art..."

It's even possible that someone with greater competence would have taken his place.

17. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

one failed event in history may trigger more failed events, so.......
    I don't know whether to go with Ozy or cosmic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

If Klanthog the Psychic Emperor had failed to not be born.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If kennedy would not have been assasinated.

20. General Sun Registered Member

If the Chinese had not rejected an offer by an admiral to explore the pacific and to expand their empire...

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What failed event?

The Communist Revolution.

22. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

If the meteor had never struck setting the stage for mammals.

23. Ellimist "Nothing of consequence." Registered Senior Member

Bush not being elected.