What God Wants

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ggazoo, Aug 20, 2006.

1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I thought we'd established that nobody knows what God wants, especially since few people that even believe in a God can agree on what their God wants?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

the CRAB can get along without humans just as I can get along without CRAB,

ALL animals (LIKE HUMANS) cannot get along without other forms of plant/animals life.

We are the same in that regard, we are however not the same in regards to intelligence, and thus it is not a matter of subjective opinion it is a fact.

you are 'Crabby' in every sense

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Exactly, we are not the same, hence we are different, and not better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

God wants us to follow His commandments so that we are not lost. It's for our sake God wants these things. So that we can be free, and live in peace.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Wait a minute. How do you know what God wants when you can't even prove your God exists? This is what I don't understand about you and the likes of Jenyar and Water. You PRETEND to know what a god wants, even going so far as to describe in detail the emotions of your God, but you can't even offer one little iota of evidence that such a god exists! That's kinda like putting the cart before the horse, don't ya think?

Why are you people so afraid to admit deep down there really is no such god? What is it in you that is lacking? What empty holes do you need to fill in your lives with an imaginary deity? Medication might help.

9. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Read the scriptures!! They are the word of God!! He wrote them with the holy pen of the heavens!!

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Oh, come on now! What a lie that is! Aren't you embarrassed for saying that? You're such a loser for saying that!

11. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

DOH! You found me out MW, the holy pen of the heavens is a myth!

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Why is it so hard for theists to accept the fact that we are all assembleges of atoms forged in ancient supernova events, that have the ability to know this (an awesome concept in itself) and to possibly even understand one day the underlying nature of the universe itself? And not only that, we have the ability to wonder at and be amazed by everything new we discover.

Theism is pretty dull and static actually.

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

why is it so hard for atheists to accept that life could have originated in space and thus that life deliberately or accidentally seeded this planet.

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: God is a myth. Heaven is a myth. Satan is a myth. Why are you propagating myths?

15. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

It's possible that life was seeded on this planet from sources in outer space, although I'm not sure there's any evidence to suggest that might be true. As an idea I have no problem with it, and I'm an atheist.
    If God is an alien species that deliberatley seeded this planet with life then I guess God exists, if that were proved to be true.
    I'm not suggesting for a second that we devote classroom time to teaching this idea to kids.

16. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Ok, ok, I hold my hands up! The Invisible Pink Unicorn (the sister of the Invisible Pink Unicron) told me to make a sarcastic comment about scriptures and God.
    Then she kicked me in the nuts for being an atheist.

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: As she should!

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually it is apparent to many persons who study world religion (just in terms of theory - we are not even talking about the epistemology or ontology here) there are many remarkably similar foundations - of course those who haven't studied world religions tend to make superficial arguments.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Well to accept that we were created by some mythical supernova requires more faith for a start, because it doesn't explain what caused the supernova.

What makes the study of matter dull in comparison to theism, is that theism you get the opportunity to study the intelligence that assembled all these things that we are fascinated by

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

What is the nature of this improvement? What is it catergorised or qualified by? How is this "improvement" distinct from the opposite term of reference, namely dysfunctionalism or perhaps failure?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

we are becoming more compassionate and emapthetic as time goes by

Consider our changing attitudes towards animals and the numerous laws and organisations developed to protect and preserve them

Consider the numerous other charitable organisations set up to help other disadvantaged groups and to aid medical reseacrh

We care more today than we did yesterday about other forms of life and their quality of it.

As old savage and cruel century old traditions are outlawed this is demonstrated easily.

Before you use war as an example of this not happenning, war is not agreed by the masses just a small minority, soldiers are under rule to obey. The rest of the world objects. Also war has always been part of our culture so certainly it has not become worse in that regard just that we are better at it now.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Theoryofrelativity

Doesn't seem to be manifesting in NYC

You mean we have now realised the benefits of killing animals in more barbaric ways and ensuring thatthe lives they lead until we kill them a completely disgusting - check out the PETA websites - goveg.com

In a recent world peace conference attended by many representatives of such charities the topic of world poverty was addressed - their solution was "prepare for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer because there is nothing we can do about it" - in other words quanitity vs quality amounts to zilch

Really? when was yesterday? the 1980's?

Instead we have modern ones that enable savagery to be manifest on an industrial level and for the most part have reduced something as elementary and necessary as successful child rearing to a hobby for the rich

Yes I will wait untilpeople start using nuclear bombs before I bring that one up

23. Gordon Registered Senior Member

If you truly believe this are you
    a) a vegetarian who believes everyone else should be too;
    b) happy to kill other people (or have them killed) and eat them?

If there is no difference in status or importance between people and animals then there should be no rational logical problems in humans eating other humans or hunting them or shooting them for sport (historic culture based on theistic morality cannot of course be cited in this context as you would not believe that such was 'logical').

Therefore either the proposition of humans eating other humans or hunting them or shooting them for sport is reasonable or else your original premise was false.

I believe that any civilised society requires to believe that people are more important than animals. Those that have not have included the Third Reich with the inevitable appalling consequences.

Just because you do not believe in God does not require you to disbelieve everything the Bible says. Much could still be true, although I accept that evolution cannot explain people being different to animals, which is presumably why you say you believe that they are not.

But do you honestly believe that you are no more important than a cow or a sheep? I somehow doubt that in reality. Are you certain that your naturalistic evolutionary dogma has not caused some distortion of reality and some self delusion here?

I believe that God made people special for special purposes (that could not be done by animals) as below (from Luke 12):

22-24He continued this subject with his disciples. "Don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or if the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the ravens, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, carefree in the care of God. And you count far more.
    25-28"Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can't even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don't fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?

29-32"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

33-34"Be generous. Give to the poor. Get yourselves a bank that can't go bankrupt, a bank in heaven far from bankrobbers, safe from embezzlers, a bank you can bank on. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.

People are more important than animals but not more important than each other (or God!).

The problem in many of our modern societies (especially in the west) is not the theoretical status of animals against human beings but the reality of the status we give to people, believing that some (often we, ourselves in the rich world) are somehow of higher status than others (particularly those in the majority poorer world). We are not usually honest enough to say this with our words but we most certainly show it clearly with our actions (world resource use, pollution, global warming, unfair trade, indebtedness, linked aid, arms sales and other support for immoral regimes and insurgents - the list could go on and on!).

regards,

Gordon.