What happened to the signers of the Declaration of Independence ?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by ozarky, Jun 24, 2000.

1. ozarky Registered Senior Member

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured befoe they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they ?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence, knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy [lanter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the propertys ofDillery,Hall,Clymer,Walton,Gwinnett,Heyward,Ruttledge, and Middleton
    At the battle of Yorktown,Thomas Nelson Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quitely urged General Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's as she was dying. Their thirteen children fled for their lives. His fields and gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves. Returning home to find his wife dead and his vanished. A few weeks later he died from a broken heart.

Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates. Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed rabbel-rousing ruffians. They were soft spoken men of means and education.

They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge, to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own goverment!

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't. Take a few minutes while enjoying your fourth of July holiday and thank these patroits. It's not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember, freedom is never free! It's time we got the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin.

The fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics and baseball games.

HA HA SHE CRIED, SHOOK HER WOODEN LEG AND DIED

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Are you sure about 24 being lawyers? I have a friend that buys into the anti-tax, anti- government, anti-lawyer thing. And he swears that the Founding Fathers were anti-lawyer because Esquire is a title of nobility and any lawyer had to swear alligence to the Brittish Crown. That they even tried to pass the original 13th Aamendment that outlawed lawers from serving in government (and which was erased because iit did not pass).
    I think that its unfortunate that they did not pass a Bill of Responsibilities then, because I feel that we are to individualistic
    to continue as a society. We need people to be responsible for; their actions, their family, their neighborhood, their governments. All our actions can infringe on others in some way, if we over-step our bounds. And in-action implies consent.
    We think only of ourselves, so that most people are thinking," What's in it for us?" Under this system every one has rights, the right to be crooks, the right to raise out of-control-children, the right for the government to pay for everything, you name it, they'll pay. I don't like it, but that's the way this society is going.
    I think that as a society we have to work together, not just get whats ours. Does it take a village to do things? I don't know the answer but feel that we have to try.

[This message has been edited by Randolfo (edited June 25, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ozarky Registered Senior Member

Randolfo, Yes, as the book say's, the 24 were lawyers and Jurists.

Everyone in the Colonies from England were British Subjects. That is why the signers were labled as traitors to the Crown. It was a revolution by the British subjects against an oppresive Goverment.

How do you see "us" as too individualistic.
    That went out with the HIPPIES. They tried so hard to be different, they came out to be all the same.

You want the right to be a crook ? The Earl Warren Supreme Court said, in effect, the thief has a right to ply his trade. that was back in the 1950's

I don't understand your message. One paragraph contradicts the next.

You want the right to raise out-of-control children. You want the Goverment to pay for everything. Yet, you think we have to work together as a society. I'm sorry, that just does not add up.

I do not believe in anti-tax, anti Goverment.
    I do believe in less taxes and less Goverment.

I feel that we all should feel fortunate to live in the most free of all societies today.
    There are those that would "upset our apple cart". Do not take it for granted.

SMILE IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Ozarky- Wonderful post. It got me to thinking about what those men went through, cutting their own throats so we could live free when they had obviously done pretty well for themselves under the crown.

All our country asks of us now is to pay our taxes and vote and help defend her in the event the need arises, all three of which we balk at doing because it either isn't convenient or fashionable.

What a pack of crybabies we've become.

8. Thats why I think there should have been a 'Bill of Responsibilities' that came with our Constitution. During my college-days (the GI Bill paid for), I used to live with a bunch of young (20- 28) college kids, and I asked some of these very conservative Rush Limbaugh-types, "why they hadn't joined the military?" Since I think that those that espouse right-wing views, should be the first to join. I joined because I didn't know what to do after high school, since it only trained me to be a student. But I was a tini-weenie-bit patriotic, I thought I made the right choice and that I owed my government a few years. But not everyone does, the responce of one of mt room-mates tells volumes, "because I'm to smart."
    I think that the fall of Rome started when the Romans started hiring Germans to be their soldiers. Teaching them, bringing them all over the empire. So one day Odoacer got the Ostrogoths to overthrow Rome. And Alaric got the Visogoths to sack Rome. etc. etc.
    You know that California gangs & extreme right-wing groups have infiltrated the military. I guess they use it for advanced weapons training? Sound like Rome?
    A 'Bill of Responsibilities' should have mandatory military training & service, voting, political & community service. A way to weave us into the fabric of every aspecpt of our country. So that our Pledge is not to be 'invisible or individual' but 'indivisible'. We should have to live our civics lessons.

9. Cable Man Registered Senior Member

Ozarky,
    Could you list the book? That would be a nice read.

10. ozarky Registered Senior Member

Cable Man, I'll get the title to that book. My daughter is a librarian locally.

A Bill of Responsibility has it's merits but don't you think it is the responsibility of the parent's to teach their children to be responsible ? It makes me sick when I hear a parent say "the teacher hasn't taught my kid nothing". The parent has not taught the kid to listen to instructions, to do the few chores around the house. That kid will not listen to a teacher in school. Why should he/she ?

I am opposed to a volunteer military. The majority of volunteer's are but one step from the jail house. You need a well paid cadre and fill the ranks with draftees. That was one of the reasons that Russia had such a bad time at the beginning of their war with Germany. Joe Stalin was afraid of an officer coup, so he had most of his officer corp murdered. Many of them were combat veterans from WW1.

I remember seeing something about the military asking the civilian police not to tell the media about the military service records of arrested gang members.

SMILE IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY