What if Eve had not eaten the apple?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cris, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

What if A & E had not eaten the forbidden fruit and had stayed in the Garden of Eden, how would the world have developed?

The garden appears to have been a "friendly" jungle where animals can be slaughtered easily for food and fruit was in abundance. What else were people meant to do? Sex I guess would have been the primary pastime since there was no TV, radio, internet, cars, sports, etc. I didn't see any references to buildings, sewerage systems, phone systems, etc., either.

Wouldn't a garden paradise without modern facilities have become rather boring and inconvenient after a short while? And since we wouldn't die and would have lots of sex then what was God's plan for solving inevitable overpopulation?

Just what had God planned for us in the event we hadn't disobeyed him?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Adam and Eve's disobedience was meant to happen. It was part of God's plan. Without eating the fruit, they would have been unable to procreate and would have remained in the Garden of Eden, unfulfilled and alone.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Sex is part of originical sin. Before they ate the apple, Adam and Eve were like children. They had no use for their sexual organs. In fact, if Adam and Eve hadn't disobeyed, none of us would exist. There'd still only be two people.

Of course, God meant for them to disobey and procreate so God would have generations of little sentient lives to fuck with.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

How the hell anything in gods supposed divine plan can possibly be a sin is beyond me.

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

So they were setup for the fall. In effect they had no choice. So much for the Christian concept of freewill - clearly it does not exist.

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Roman,

So God created redundant sex organs because......?

10. Marlin Registered Senior Member

11. Marlin Registered Senior Member

They had a choice. They could have remained in the garden forever, but they both had a rudimentary understanding that eating the fruit was supposed to happen. Please see the web page I referred to above for more info about the Fall.

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Roman,

No, the original sin was eating the fruit. God intended A & E to have lots of sex -

Genesis 1:28 - And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it:

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

No they didn't if God had planned for them to disobey. If they had not disobeoyed then God's plan would have been foiled, and for a perfect God that can't happen. Hence they had no freewill.

14. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Yes, but God, knowing all things including future events, could foresee that they would disobey and made the conditions such that they would. Our free agency is always operative, even when our future actions are known by God. If He didn't know all things, He wouldn't be God.

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

And so back to my thread - if they had so chosen, which you claim is possible then what was God's plan for them and how would he deal with overpopulation?

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

So he designed them to disobey then. Why didn’t he design humans so they wouldn’t disobey?

17. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Cris, God's plan was for them to transgress His command, become mortal, and procreate. The transgression brought about changes in their body and in the world in general. We, as children of Adam and Eve, became subject to death, sorrow, pain, and Satan's temptations. The Plan was to let mankind experience mortality and yet be saved by repentance and obedience to Christ's gospel. Adam's transgression made Christ's Atonement necessary.

Please see the website I referred to above for more info.

18. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

Thanks - Interesting read. It directly conflicts with Genesis from the outset - i.e. Genesis 1:28 - ... be fruitful and multiply. The basis of the Mormon idea is that A&E would not have had children had they not disobeyed and consequently we would not be here.

How do you explain this major Mormon contradiction with the OT - the word of God?

19. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Well, that was waaaayyy too quick for you to have read all of the sub-pages of that web page. But anyway, God gave Adam and Eve two conflicting commands: to multiply, and to avoid eating of the fruit. I think (and I may be mistaken) that they knew they couldn't do both. There is no contradiction, just two commands from God that couldn't both be obeyed.

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

Done so. It has some major logical flaws.

Agreed, without the A&E story being literal then Christianity would have no basis.

That’s basically an attempt to rationalize (make something inherently irrational appear rational) the inconsistencies in the myth of A&E with the myth of Jesus.

The major question becomes why should an omnipotent being capable of anything create such a circuitous route? Why not simply make humans so that they understand the issues correctly so they would never wish or need to disobey? That would save all the death, mortality, sin, repentance issues, and the farcical fraudulent sacrifice of his son.

21. Marlin Registered Senior Member

The answer to that lies in the fact that the basic uncreated part of us, our most primal existence, was not created by God, but rather is co-eternal with Him. It is called our intelligence in Mormon terminology. God didn't create all of the intelligences, but rather, clothed them with spirit bodies and, later, with flesh.

The reason God works the way He does is, there is no other way to do it. He couldn't create us perfect because our basic being, our intelligences, have tendencies and personalities independent of God's creation. Mortality is a probation, wherein we must prove ourselves to God, whether we will obey Him or not. If we obey Him, His grace combined with our experiences and repentance is sufficient to save us and perfect us.

Think about it, though: if you have children, you know that they take things for granted a lot. The spoiled rich kid assumes that money is always going to be there. The pampered prince who has everything just given to him on a silver platter does not understand the meaning of being poor or destitute. Similarly, if God just created us perfect, we wouldn't appreciate it. The experiences of mortality could not be gotten any other way than the way they are, and mortality becomes a proving ground. After we leave mortality and receive our final judgment, we will (if we have obeyed God) become perfect.

And boy, will we appreciate it!

22. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marlin,

There is no biblical support for this assertion. Read Genesis. Procreation and not eating the fruit are distinctly seperate issues.

23. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Cris I agree with you that God should have made us all aware of sin without creating Sin. If God installed in me the knowledge that Sin was bad and spared me the experiance of it I would be greatful.

On the other hand if God made the world and millions of people suffer and die over thousands of years, just to prove a point, I would look closer for the horns.