what if God could be proven?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by NMSquirrel, Nov 16, 2009.

1. OriginalBiggles OriginalBiggles, Prime Registered Senior Member

Lightgigantic,
    You're a pseudo-intellectual wannabe that relies on smart-arse facile responses quite devoid of substance, not to mention rationality, reason or logic.
    You were asked a couple of simple questions that might have lead to a mutual understanding, but you prefer to maintain a juvenile mystery and pose questions in return.
    Your only use to me is to hone my skills in the humiliation and derision of bubble-brains like you and your ilk.

#382 P.20 is your first post in the previous ten pages.
    Originally Posted by earth
    I am still waiting for God to produce a vaccine of any kind.

LG responds; I am still waiting for materialism to solve the problem of birth, death, old age and disease and suffering in the form of one's own body and mind, the body and minds of other living entities and the experience of excesses of climate and environment (heat, earthquakes, bush fires etc)
    We are left with the conclusion you are convinced that tearful prayer will be more efficacious. Material, mainstream science has already solved many of the "problems" you raise. No input of prayer had a measurable effect in major scientific studies. It is reasonable therefore to prefer the materialism of science over your palsied superstitions and quaint fantasies.

Your post #382 reveals nought but ignorance of material science and a supercilious expectation that everything should be solved at once just for you. If material science can't meet your expectations you'll stamp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue. Expectation of the perfect is a pipe-dream in the real material world. When you grow up you'll realise that and be a much more entertaing debater.

The cardinal sins of debate in discussion groups are immaturity, predictability and boring your interlocutors. You've achieved all three with astounding success.

OriginalBiggles, Prime

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

You don't get it?
    Theism aims at removing the living entity from the medium of material existence, as opposed to solving the tribulations of material existence within the confines of conditioned existence (which is an impossible ask).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yosef Registered Senior Member

Now they are thinking that the moon may have came into existence by a nuclear explosion (source: http://www.physorg.com/news183884450.html). So many theories about the formation of our nearest planet! But this one has some appeal: it suits what God says in the Quran and the Bible that He has created them...

Allah - Jehovah God is being proven constantly by prime & composite numbers in Scripture. The evidence is mounting. In fact, mounting in an alarming rate that makes me think that it might get soon too late to start to believe in Him. Please seek good knowledge and open your heart for Him.

He makes sense!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

many things;
    it's the opposite of nothingness, because it's something.
    if you eat on it, and not the floor, it's the opposite of the floor.
    when you put things on it, yet you put people on chairs, it is the opposite of chair.
    when you eat food, and not it, it's the opposite of food.
    it is a solid, the opposite of liquid.

and so on, also, "table" may not be the total opposite of those things, but i mentioned "or somewhere in between"..

IOW, you need points of reference to define a certain point.

take a point x, any other point y is either exactly on x, hence x=y, or it is opposite to x, i.e, NOT x, these are the only two choices, the variation can then be in distance and direction.

how can you define a perfect point, without using imperfect points as reference points sarkus?

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

refresh..

interesting discussions here..
    the OP was supposed to infer that we need God to be distant and not solve all of our problems for us,if he were to be an active participant in the world solving all of our problems where would we be as a society?

my grand daughter gets really mad at us if we help her with all her struggles..she wants to solve her own problems without any help..(Good for her!)

my daughter accepted my help gladly and she had became a leach, relying on me for everything.(she has gotten much better about solving her own problems recently,but still has a long way to go..)

this is my point..if God was here on earth as an active participant in the world, how spoiled would we be? to me this seems like it would be a bad thing

9. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Are you saying God does not actively participate here with us? But if He did it would be a bad thing? So He stays away to avoid our whining and His doing bad things. I just love it when theists conjure up new ways to keep God in absentia, it's like the proof He exists can be found in His absence. That to me is about as close to proving God as you can get (I remember writing something to that affect in the early days) because I think it's quite obvious He ain't here.

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

now psyco...i didnt say anything about proof..lets not rehash that arguement..
    my point is a hypothetical one..not a literal one..
    at least you admit we are a bunch of whiners..lol

11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Why would an atheist believe anything literal about God? Faith in a deity is all about a hypothetical God, no?

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

not sure how to respond to this..
    atheist are always trying to take what the bible says as literal (well most believers too...)

from the atheist point of view he is hypothetical..from the theists POV he is real..my point was what if there was proof that he existed?what if there were no way to argue he did not exist,that the proof was emperical..how would that change things? would history still be what it was? would we still be a technological society?would we even need cops?how would you act?

13. Neverfly Banned Banned

If Puff the Magic Dragon was Proven to be real...

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Original.

You have 39 posts and zero reputation. Light has more than 11,000.

If you try to attack a member with that much more credibility than for the love of G-d try and be more polite.

For all I could care you are attacking him, you could be saying 1+1=2 and light could be saying it equals three. And people would still agree with him because all they see is an arrogant newcomer trying to insult a long standing community member and friend.

If you do not want to be characterized as an arrogant jerk in just 39 posts I'd suggest you act more polite.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You got that right. Don't worry about it, that's what he does. You come to realize that some people here can't debate on a rational basis.

16. Neverfly Banned Banned

You would need to start posting this to all the other members on the forum before this commentary could really be taken seriously.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you also see some people come under the impression they have their values are so sublime that they underpin all discussions of rationality

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Credibility does not come from post-count.

Would you agree with somebody simply because they were being insulted?? Or would you genuinely commit the logical fallacy you seem to think other people would?

I have no issue with you trying to get people to be polite and make their points civily - in fact the principle is to be applauded - but please don't make such ridiculous comments as you did here.

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Clearly our understanding of "opposite" differs.
    To me something is "opposite" if all the relevant qualities are reversed. Not just one of them, or two, but all.

Yep - and the "opposite - or somewhere in between" of 4 would range from -4 to 4.... which makes the comment rather pointless.

Eh???

Points of reference to define certain points?
    And how would you define those points of reference without other "certain points"?

NOT x is not the opposite of x.

Perfection needs no reference since it is an absolute. Only relative positions need reference.

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

someone would find a way to charge $50 a ride....

the title of this thread is "What if God could be proven?"
    i am just trying to clarify the original intent of the thread..

21. Neverfly Banned Banned

And I was just trying to clarify the absurdity.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

23. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

if you started a thread called "what if puff the magic dragon was real" would you want someone posting in it calling it absurd??

grow up..