What is a classical relativistic particle?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Amadeusboy, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Amadeusboy Registered Member

What is a classical relativistic particle? Is this a classical particle, one used in elementary physics classes and problems, traveling at relativistic speeds?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

I think so. It might be a good idea to clarify if it is in the general or special relativistic sense though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Typically if we're talking about particles, we're neglecting gravity.

I am a bit confused, though. In what context was this term used, amadeus?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

"Relativistic" might mean "travelling at a reasonable fraction of the speed of light", or it might just mean "we're treating this particular using relativistic mechanics, rather than non-relativistic mechanics".

"Classical" just means "we're not using quantum mechanics in looking at the behaviour of this particle".

8. Amadeusboy Registered Member

Sorry for the lateness of my reply:

The expression comes from the title of a paper from Physics Review, "Presymmetry of Classical Relativistic Particles". I tried to wade through this paper while in college--I didn't make it very far--and recently, I came across it. I was going to spend a little (or possibly a lot) time trying to understand it. However, it has been a long time since I have studied any thing of this caliber and so this may be a lost cause. (I had to find the notes I had pertaining to this paper to refresh my memory of what "presymmetry" means. I believe I have a vague, if somewhat incomplete and possibly incorrect, notion of its definition.)

Also, I believe quantum mechanics is not discussed in the paper and the particle is treated using special relativity.

I am unclear as to why this is true. If I remember correctly, in elementary physics classes point particles were the first things studied.

Thanks to all for the responses,

Amadeusboy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

The effects of gravity on a charged particle are about 10^{large number ~40} times greater than gravity. I'll check out your paper when I get to the office tomorrow.

10. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

\(\left| \frac{F_{\mathrm{Electromagnetism}}}{F_{\mathrm{Gravity}}} \right| = \frac{\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{q_e^2}{r^2}}{G\frac{m^2}{r^2}} = \frac{q_e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 G m^2} \approx \frac{3.457 \times 10^{-18} kg^2}{m^2}\)

For two electrons, this ratio is about: \(4.166 \times 10^{42}\)

For two protons, this ratio is about: \(1.236 \times 10^{36}\)

For two singly charged U-238 ions, this ratio is about: \(2.213 \times 10^{31}\)

http://www.google.com/search?q=what is (electron charge)^2/(4*pi*G*electric constant) ?

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Thanks for keeping me honest rpenner

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

It's all part of the service. Still in California?