What is a Real Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Jun 17, 2016.

?

What is a Christian's greatest virtue?

1. Faith

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Piety

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Humility

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Charity

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Love

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Courage

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. Justice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Temperance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Prudence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

In my mind it is more than simply wearing a cross around your neck, more than simply talking the talk. Though Christianity strikes a chord with me. I don't consider myself a Christian, because I don't believe I can walk the walk, or be what I believe is required. I'm a lover of the world.

Knowing there are many flavors to Christianity, I'm curious what you might think. What is a real Christian?

With that I'm gone for the night. Check in tomorrow.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

A real Christian is someone who follows the spirit of Jesus' teachings, regardless of the letter of the Bible.

Unlike most so-called "Christians" who follow the letter of the Bible, regardless of the spirit of Jesus' teachings.

Pay more attention to what Jesus said, and less to what's written in Leviticus.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Would it be like, anyone who put a decoration on a Christmas Tree?

Even if I don't care to identify myself as Christian, I'm sure in parts of the world I'd automatically be labelled one in a very precise way.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

None of the above. I'd say kindness. But they certainly don't have a monopoly on that.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Perty simple really... a real Christan is who ever labels therself as bein a real Christan.!!!

gmilam likes this.
  9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

The Ku Klux Klan claims to be a Christian organization. Not my idea of Christianity. Then again, I'm an agnostic atheist, what do I know?

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What is you'r idea of what a real Christan is.???

11. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

"Real Christian" just indicates the author of those words wishes to disparage the beliefs or behavior of another group, denying them the self-identified label of "Christian." It's similar to wartime propaganda where the enemy is portrayed as beastial or sub-human — by drawing a line in the sand and trying to portray the enemy as on the other side of that line the author hopes those not on the "enemy's side" will flock to his cause. Essentially, it's like in-group racism rather than out-group racism. "People “like us” would never do such a thing (because no right-thinking person would)." Therefore counter-examples to the stereotype the author wishes to advance are summarily tossed into the outer darkness with this rhetorical slight-of-hand defining the "true" in-group to consist only of admirable examples of the "in-group."

"No Scotsman drinks wine at the dinner table." "Idol of millions Angus MacLeod drinks wine." "Well then, he's no true Scotsman."

Bells likes this.
  12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The phrase "real Christian" assumes that there's some essence of Christianity that some forms of ostensible Christianity deviate from and that all Christians need to adhere to.

The fundamentalists and evangelicals usually find that essence in the Biblical text, as they interpret it. The Catholics, both Roman and Eastern, find it in their own church tradition and teaching. More theologically 'liberal' Protestants try to pull what they take to be Jesus' ethical teachings out of their original context and make that idealization their standard.

As for me, I conceive of Christianity as a historical tradition that takes the form of a tree, extending through time. It has generated lots of branches (Eastern Orthodoxy, the Copts, Roman Catholicism, all manner of Protestantism and even the Mormons). It's hard to say which branches of the tradition are "real" and which ones aren't, without privileging certain interpretations of the tradition over others.

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Have to say I share some of rpenner's suspicions about this question. Surely a Christian is a baptised person who subscribes to enough of the teachings of Christ (as interpreted by a branch of a Christian church) to consider him or herself a Christian.

Distinguishing a "real" Christian from this group implies that the above is not enough and that there must be some extra criteria. I don't see how it is possible to say what those extra criteria might be, or what purpose would be served by the distinction thereby created.

Yazata likes this.
  14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I hold the bar pretty high. If you look at the above poll, the list is quite long. There are those who say one need only believe, but I think it's more a life's endeavor. I've met many people who claimed to be Christians, but you would never guess judging from the way they live.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is. They have to believe that:
    Jesus was the son of god, he sacrificed himself for our sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Salvation from sin (the only way) can be achieved by accepting Jesus into your heart (faith). There is a heaven and hell. The Bible is the word of god. And Jesus is coming back someday in a final judgement.

16. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

There are Christians that do not believe all of these things. Christians who have degrees in theology, even. E.g. http://bgalrstate.blogspot.ca/

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I second that. It doesn't matter what denomination or how often they go to church or whether they avow their faith at every opportunity. It's what they do that matters.
    He doesn't mean throwing change at beggars; he means being tolerant and patient and helpful to your fellow humans.

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

If I called myself a mechanic but knew nothing about cars, would I still be a mechanic?

19. wellwisher Banned Banned

In the 4th century AD, Rome, under emperor Constantine, made Christianity the official religion of Rome. The result was the Roman Empire slowly transformed into the Holy Roman Empire and then the Catholic Church, which is a hybrid of Rome and Christianity. If you keep that in mind, the modern Christianity is easier to understand.

There is quote by Jesus in the new Testament; render onto Caesar what is Caesar's and render onto God was is God's. Before the merger the distinction between the two was clear cut in the mind of most Christians. In fact, the reason Christianity became the religion of Rome was because the Christian soldiers, who fought for Rome, were the most courageous in battle; willingly rendered onto Caesar. While their faith in God gave them courage; no fear of death.

After the merger, the line in the mind, between render onto Caesar and render onto God became blurred, as Roman modified its new official religion, so Christianity could be better serve the needs of the empire. For example, the Christmas holiday was based on a Pagan holiday, with the overlap of the two chosen to make Christianity more appealing to its many Pagan citizens; bridge.

As history shows, Rome not only modified Christianity; opulent church in the image of Rome, but the impact of Christianity also modified Rome; becomes a theocracy. Rome never really ends, but rather, like a caterpillar, it became transformed into something new, that would continue to make a mark on world history. There was a 1000 year reign; hybrid of Rome and Christianity. The 14th century, the 1000 year merger began to dissociate, back into a separation of Christianity and Rome. But there is no clean cut division with most sects still retaining various aspects and ratios of both; unique hybrids.

Paul says that the righteous man shall live by faith. Faith is the key to understanding Christianity and how all its many expressions maintain a sense of wholeness. Christ left behind a comforter, the spirit of truth; Holy Spirit. Instead of having to live by the outward rules and laws of men, there was an inner voice of truth, that is accessed through faith. Faith does not pre-judge the workings of the spirit, but flows with the tide, always hoping for the best. Many things are possible due to faith. The Christians can be different but connected through faith, like the many differentiated cells of a larger body.

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well... i thank ive been to a couple of those "mechanics"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But as far as beleifs in fairy tails goes... each believer gets to set ther own personal standards/call therself what they want.!!!

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, your claim to be an auto repairman would be proven or disproven by whether you could fix cars; that's the ultimate definition. Belief in a deity has no concrete effects, so one claim is as good as another. Witness all the wars fought over nitpicky details of Christianity and/or justified by Christianity; was one side composed of "real" Christians?

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My definition would hold that a real Christian does not kill, whether that be through war or otherwise.

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Me too.

I don't believe it is that simple. Having read the book, I definitely got an opinion.