what is beyond the known universe?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by utopian knight, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Burada Registered Senior Member

Yea......Lot's of imagination.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

The definition of Universe suggests a problem. It means all there is. Now factor in multiverses. We have yet to work out this little linguistics problem.

Here's something to consider: the universe is infinite in volume, the universe is expanding. How does something infinite expand?

Yes, I know what you are asking. The honest answer is that we don't know. I can make up some really good bullshit if you'd rather that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

What? Oh, as in the 'The Marvel Comics Multiverse'. No, we don't have to factor that in at all. It's like this. If there are things that interact with our Universe, they are part of it. If there are things that do not interact, like matter with non-overlapping dimensions, we cannot detect it, so cannot prove it exists, so we cannot proclaim the existence of another 'Universe'.

No it isn't, estimates vary, but it's thought to be about 156 billion light years wide.

See above, it's not infinite.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

My fault, phlog.

1) I wasn't addressing you, but utopian knight, so I dumbed it down alot.

2) Please look up the terms multiverse and universe. There is some confusion about their usage based on m-theory.

3) Measurements of the width of the universe are not possibly accurate. Either play in the world of theory or don't.

Or shall we enjoy a rousing session of "It's infinite!" "No it isn't!" ad nauseum, neither of us budging from our position on the basis that we like our theory better?

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

By how much? What's the inaccuracy factor? and how can it be infinite when it hasn't had infinite time to expand to that size?

We've had one previously, whatsisname, the pseudo-scientist living in Scotland lost it.
    The measured size isn't a theory it's a measurement.

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Wow. You are so right. Could you tell me, what is it expanding into? If it is expanding then I imagine they must be refining their data, correct? They're not using lasers, obviously...

If the "measurement" is not an estimate based on assumptions and math alone, I'll swallow it. Fair?

10. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Before the universe, there was literally nothing, occupying no space. Now we have the universe where what was nothing, even in what we call space, has photons, dust, gas, gravity, etc travelling through it. Past the edge of our universe is pristine "nothing". ie: it takes up no room but has infinite potential. Since our universe came about, it suggests that there could be many other universes, separated from ours.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

In short, no. As far as I'm concerned the question is meaningless. How long was it before the Big Bang went off? is a similar thing.

Yes

Nope, nor a Stanley Powerlok tape measure

[/quote]If the "measurement" is not an estimate based on assumptions and math alone, I'll swallow it. Fair?[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough.
    I'll get back to you with a link or two...

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

13. The Breaker Registered Member

The universe is all that is. One would need to use space and time as a reference to say that something exists outside of the universe. This is not possible as space and time are macroscopic elements of the universe itself. In short, there is no "outside the universe". Evidence appears to be mounting for the big bang, but I'm not entirely convinced. It is however, the best theory we have. Once we unify the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity we will have a much better idea of whats going on and what this universe really is. Confirming any theory of quantum gravity will require that we be able to observe physical effects at the planck scale, which is not possible with current technologies.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  14. Ladicius Registered Senior Member

If that was known, it'd be part of the knowm universe.

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Ok. WMAP webpage brings up my problem. Based on LOCAL observations, what happens outside of our observational range?

Ever heard of the blind men and the elephant? Is that a hose you are holding or the trunk of an elephant? How do you know?

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Everything that exists has always existed in some form.

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I invite you to provide evidence of existence of "everything that exists" yesterday, much less 20 billion years or so ago.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Dude, the alternative is that new matter is made from nothing continuously.. if you want to claim that, it's yours to evidence.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

How does that work? You cannot regress infinitely back, and have a present.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

First law of thermodynamics ?

21. Burada Registered Senior Member

Even if we knew that there was some intelligent life gleaning in our nearest neighbor, the andromeda galaxy, what effect would it have on us or even them for that matter? Answer is??????

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Indeed, we'd be suffering heat death by now, if time regressed indefinitely.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why ?
    Also, I did not see any reference to infinite regression in his post though.