What Is Consciousness?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by duendy, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Zappa Looking around me, in awe. Registered Senior Member

what are you talkin about, foo

really, i have no idea how this would possibly happen, or how it could be observed..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

matter-energy can in priciple be all measured. agreed?

consciousness cannot be measured. agreed?

so consciousness is not 'in' us/the brain/organism. and consciousness is not 'in' the photon or the eletron, quark, wave, vibration, dimension. for it is not a thing. it cannot be measured

YET consciousness is always wit matter-energy. it is how matter energy is aware

i am not asserting. i am exploing this. am exploring what seems to make more ses than materialism or idealism, or emergencism...

so, if we llook at this. how can we ever KNOW consciousness--as in the accepted method of measurement? For as said--consciousness cannot BE measured

so awareness. what does it involve?

feeling, meaning

You state meditation as a means to expand onsciousness---haha, and i am not being disrespectful to your definition, i am just spontanousely laughing cause i am realizing: how can one 'expand' some'thing' IF it is not meaureable?

what's THIS mean?

what are we?

what is this feeling when we Do feel more aware.
    you feel tis from meditation. i have felt this extraordinarily after having ingested psychedelic sacraments

Aldous Huxley gave the metaphor tat our usualy state is --as some kind of patterning which emphasizes survival. tat if we were too aware we couldn't function as such

so is the nervous system some kind of transformer? a configuation which varies from individual to individual?

will have to start a new pot as i've lost track of time and my system can cut me off and i can lost my efforts

end of part 1 then

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

part 2:

modern consciousness research ala Dr Stanislave Grof, who has many case studies of LSD research, and since it was prohibited, what he calles Holotropic Breathing,,,,,,,he speaks of certian configurations as 'frozen energy'----ie., an individual may display certian attitudes to reality which seem 'fixed',,,,rigid

so somehow techniques like meditation and psychedelic experience seem to de-riidify energy and thus consciousness is also more conscious....orrrr matter-energy is more conscious would be a better way of maybe saying this

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Perhaps understanding consciousness is all about exploring consciousness and not theorizing about it... I don't know, just a thought.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

I think tha's a GREAT insight, really

tis i feel IS th impasse that those wanting to discuss 'anamolies' with materialistic scientists . That it is not about measuring experience that confounds accepted notions of reality, but bout actually experiencing them

so. maybe measure is the configuration i was talking about. is measure interpretation?----for example. i can measure a lavender bush. i can make computer simulations of it now. lots of zeros and ones etc. but is that experience OF it?thre must be a limitation of what measure is capapable of. however expadning. this isnot to put-down measurment of course, but to understand its limitations when it comes to actual experience

9. nameless Registered Senior Member

Hear! Hear! Well stated!

10. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Could there be anything in the mind superior to motivations and sensations? I.e the motivation of the motivation and the sensation of the sensation, or is this just an neverending circle? To be more accurate; what is that drives us into thinking what we do and make the judgements and take the action that we do when we do it? And would that, in turn, be separate classes of existence?

11. nameless Registered Senior Member

Yes.

"The true nature of mind is to perceive in receptive awareness."

"The function of our mind is as a perceiver, but our thoughts find their origin in the memory of the mind's perception."

"Our true nature is beyond thought, and can only be discerned when one abides in the present and serenely reflects the wonder of existence."

Now if I only could properly attribute the quotes.

My theory is that 'thought' is a semi-toxic waste product of a functioning brain/mind. Sometimes, at it's least toxic, thought can actually be 'felt' to enhance life. Ok, not really. Perhaps it is the actions and words inspired of 'thought'? Usually, though, thought is toxic to all concerned, including our 'environment'.
    Just don't take your thoughts too seriously; therein lies the path to Hell!
    (referrence every horror throughout human history!)

12. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Its called the double slit experiment, youve honestly never heard of it?
    Theres plenty of information about it on the net, and there have been various experiments done of its type to varying degrees of complexity.

13. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

i guess consciousness is basically being aware

14. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Ok heres where i think most people get stuck on this issue, you cant *find* consciousness because absolutely everything is conscious, everything from the macroscopic down to the quantum. To find consciosuness in matter is really like trying to find the hay in the haystack or the wood in the tree. The question itself is absurd. I think the best i could personally say is that consciousness is an aspect of matter that matter could not exist without, infact awareness is so important to the existance of matter that you may as well treat matter and awareness as the same thing in certain instances.

15. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

well i think that whenever you try and find "consciousness" you would have already foudn it because you ened to use your consciousness to find it
    you can find your subconsciouse and become conscious in your subconsciouse but its the subconsciouse that finds the conscious so really basically whenever you are aware you are conscious and being conscious is going to effect the subconscious
    so really its going to be hard to "measure"

16. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

I knew, but I didn't know if he did. I wanted him to consider his thoughts.

17. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Exactly. IMO, when you aren't, you're acting/thinking subconsciously, which I think most people generally do.

18. Rantaak Registered Senior Member