What is Death?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by TruthSeeker, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What is Death? What is its purpose?
    Can someone give me a Scientific explanation for what happens with us when and after we die?

Let's see what we get here...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Blessings,
    Nelson

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Death is when the body wears out, succumbs to disease, or just plain gives up. The causes are many; the end result is same. Earthly functions come to a halt. Some would say that is when the spiritual functions increase.

Regardless, without death there would be no room for the living to occupy. That thought brings to mind an old poster I once saw. In the picture, were masses of people with no room to turn no room to move. Be thankful it happens to us all. I guess you could say that is a mixed blessing

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Have you ever witnessed a death at close hand?

I have several times in my work as a nurse. The eyes are the wierdest part, they literally switch off like a light went out.

I know it's a cliche but it's as near to the truth as most cliches get.

The body just shuts down and stops. who knows about a soul ? I just think in terms of a lifelight. Not the destruction of energy, just a change in it's form.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

TruthSeeker ...

When we die: All defense/repair mechanisms shut down.

After we die: We rot.

Scientific enough?

Take care.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's it...

Blessings,
    Nelson

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

What is death?

The End. Finito. Das ende. The ceasing of existance. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Have a nice day.

10. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Death is returning to the same state of non-existence from which you were plucked by your parents' "messing around".

Since your mom was scrwd, the Universe considers you fktup. So, it kills you in self-defense or, maybe, just for the amusement.

Who really knows?

11. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

My mom was scrwd?

euw!

12. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I thought that when we die, our "energy" is made into something else. I heard once before that energy does not just cease to exist but it - I guess you can say - mutates into something else. Is this true. Because if so, then we dont just "die", we turn into something else.

... I think Im drunk know.....

Groove out

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

,,,and I always thought it was the stork to blame.

14. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

My mom was scrwd by a stork?

eeuw!!

"Energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely transformed"
    Probably Einstien... It usually is!

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Another question for the thread...

Now we are getting where I want...

Now... can someone tell me what is the real difference from borning to dying...?

P.S.: *stRgrL*,
    We don't turn into something else. Our conscience and our inconscience, which is made by energy and is ourselves (we are not our body, of course...) is released from our body. What Religious and Esoteric call Spirit is our conscient and unconscient together. People usually don't know there unconscient very well. But in some special cases, like dreaming or telepathy, is our unconscient's job.

Blessings,
    Nelson

16. Reign_of_Error Registered Senior Member

stRgrl

"I heard once before that energy does not just cease to exist but it - I guess you can say - mutates into something else"

I think what you are saying here is closely described by Newtons law of conservation of energy.

I think it goes something like "energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it only changes from one form of energy to another"

I am taking that from the top of my head so I may be way off and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am

all the best

RoE

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That is called living and people have been searching for the meaning of life since they could first formulate the question. So you are amoung quite a large crowd, if I understand the question correctly.

18. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Death is where the brain loses coherence and reaches an irretrievable state of decay. Or more specifically when the cells within the brain begin to breakdown and cease to function. Cells will typically begin to decay within 30 minutes of being starved of oxygen. The duration varies depending on the surrounding temperature.

Theoretically if the brain could be kept very cool from the moment of loss of heart beat, and perhaps even deep-frozen before any brain cells started to deteriorate, and if the cause of the bodily damage could be repaired and the heart restarted then it might be possible to re-animate the brain and final death averted. The period of freezing could theoretically be indefinite. These processes of cryonics are currently being used although the technology is still evolving, and as yet no one who has undergone cryogenic suspension has been restored, and no attempts to restore have been made yet.

Questions concerning life-energy, souls, etc, are outside the realm of science, and there is currently no scientific evidence to even suggest such speculative entities can or do exist.

After death: Once the brain cells decay irretrievably then all mental, memory, and cognitive functions that once represented the living person will be permanently lost. There is no scientific record of any person ever recovering from such a state.

Cris

Last edited: Feb 10, 2002
  19. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

StRgrl.

No that is total BS. Any electrical potential remaining in the decaying brain cells and nervous system simply dissipates as heat into the surrounding decaying bio matter and environment. Such energy no longer has any organized coherence at that point.

Think of an electrical fan: When you turn it off the electric motor remains warm for a while until the heat dissipates into the surrounding air.

Cris

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Truthseeker,

You are quoting these statements as if they are scientific facts. They most definitely are not and such spculations would be more appropriately discussed in the philosophy forum. Unless of course you can show any scientific research to support your claims.

Cris

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Between death and being born...

Because we are all Energy, beamed into our human body, straight from the Cosmos, that is where you go back and from where you return.

Between death and being born again you are Energy in the Cosmos, like the Light Beings. It is not that difficult. It is just the Cosmos working here. Life and death are Natural and belong to our existence in the Cosmos. I don't know why there is such a fuzz about dying.

Everybody dies and from the first day you are born you have to live your life the best way you can. Nothing special, just be good to yourself and others.

Comments are welcome, as usual...

22. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Banshee,

Part of our body contains energy and it certainly leaves us when we die. But the energy is not in any coherent or organized form, or are you suggesting that this ‘energy’ is some form of intelligence? You’d have to show your evidence of course.

Not all-living things die. Death does not have to be inevitable. Bacteria, for example, have no aging process. Theoretically the first bacteria from billions of years ago might still be alive providing they have been able to find food. There are also some species of cactus that also have no aging process. Their survival again simply depends on a permanent supply of nutrients, moisture, and energy from the sun.

Other more complex lifeforms tend to age because of the complexity of their cells and the damage these cells incur during metabolism. Current anti-aging research is being able to demonstrate how aging processes can be slowed, reversed, or stopped.

There is nothing particularly natural about dying from old age, it is a disease to be treated like any other. Unfortunately we have become accustomed to thinking of aging as being natural and inevitable. That is very likely to change within the next 15 years, at least that is the estimate that is coming out of places like the Geron corporation for commercially available effective anti-aging treatments.

Cris

23. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

Death?

If Im understanding Cris correctly, then Death is a transition. A change from one state to another.

bjl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.