What is emotion?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by zzz_ZZZ_zzz, Jan 17, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

yer daft!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I am right though. All emotion is a matter of interpretation.
    And what may bring suffering to one, may bring joy to another, or what else is samsara and nirvana, or the walk of st. Peter to his cross

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

its all set of a complex chemical reactions, all of the emotions simply occur because they were triggered to occur

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course, consciousness is a biochemical and electrical process, but one can manipulate with it. Triggering emotions required and shutting off those less desired.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

so if i was to tie you down and then proceed to use hammer to break your bones from the toes up. what would this give you, pleasure or pain?
    and can you please find me someone it'd give pleasure to please?

9. draqon Banned Banned

someone to whom youll give pleasure? sure duendy...go into a zoo...climb into a lion cage of a hungry lion...your bones with meat will give the lion pleasure...

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

duendy, don't be so radical. You are making here the slippery slope critical thinking fallacy.
    That is the same as to say that all those shot by a weapon are going to die because the a weapon can be a grenade launcher.

But if you inject someone with enough narcosis chemicals, they won't feel any pain.
    And there is also that genetic illness suffering from which people don't feel any physical pain at all, very dangerous, because those people lack the warning system that something is physically wrong.

11. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I understand that there are chemical reactions occurring, but describing them and then calling that description a philosophical statement is empty.

Also, you don't know what I know and don't know. Don't get confused by me calling your description meaningless. You can say everything breaks down to chemical processes and that is the only meaning in life - that is a valid possibility - but once you do that you have no right to make any further philosophical comment.

12. draqon Banned Banned

Peace.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace?

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

if i were you . i'd hunt down your critical-finkin teach and shoot HIm dead. cause he's made yer into a prize fool

also. oncew saw this docu. twas about a narcotic addict. he tries everything to get off the drug

eventually he goes to thisSpanish clinic which is a quick detox. we see him do it, ad then qe see him break down big style. qwhy

cause qll the psychological pain he'd tried to NUMB over 20 years was STILL there!....and now he was experiencing all tat suppressed emotion

you and the dragon one is chemical-heads. as you think, so yo are. Nature will just be chemicals fo ya. your your own worst enimies. me and Cole are here to trylift you out of your ignore-ance. but i aint holdin my breath. you are so suuuuure of yur shit

now THA hurts to watch

ouch!

14. draqon Banned Banned

I see emotion here...hatred?...calm urself...accept the truth...I obviously dont see this life as a set of complex chemical reactions only, I create illusions of devine in this world to give myself a purpose, to prove to myself that I am more then just a machine that is programmed to interact in certain pattern. The choices I make define me, the choices I make in this complex life.

15. Azael Registered Senior Member

Schacter & Singer (1952 I think) defined emotion as the cognitive recognition/labelling of physiological arousal. You should read the experiment, it makes a very convincing arguement.

16. Happeh Registered Senior Member

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Seriously, you must be a solid block of wood, both in the body and the head to believe what you wrote.

It is trivial to prove what you ask. If emotions are chemical reactions, why is it that you feel the emotions of others? If you are around a sad person, you feel sad, correct? Why?

Their sadness energy is crossing over to you and making you sad. Or you pick up on the sadness energy they are emanating.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

this coming from a man that draws lines on pictures and says "thats proof"

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

ever hear of body language?

19. Azael Registered Senior Member

You both need to provide proof. Firstly, the burden of proof was on Dragon to support the claim that all "emotion is chemical", and now the burden of proof is on you Happeh to proove that "Their sadness energy is crossing over to you and making you sad". Seriously, what is "sadness energy" anyway.

I see someone beat me to this anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Azael Registered Senior Member

Sorry, Schacter & Singer's theory of cognitive labeling was published in 1962. I highly recommend this again.

21. Happeh Registered Senior Member

Sad energy. Energy that is sad in nature. I cannot think of any other way to say it more clearly.

There is happy, sad, angry, and a couple of other emotional energies I cannot think of right at the moment.

I really don't understand you guys. You make no sense to me. To me, it seems like you overlook the most obvious things.

What we are talking about is subjective. There is no way I can prove there is such a thing as sad energy or that it crosses over to people. (OK. I admit I lied. But pretend I am telling the truth)

You have to prove it to yourself. You have to go find a sad person. Stand there. Are you feeling sad? If so, why? The only explanation is that the other person's sadness jumped over to you. Maybe it flew, maybe it crawled. Whatever form of locomotion was used, the sad energy has traveled from the sad person over to you so that you now feel sad.

You don't need me to prove anything.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

i just had to get this in a quote
    talk about the unbeleivable

23. Azael Registered Senior Member

Did you have any intention to make a logical and coherent arguement, or do you just like talking?