What is enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Vkothii, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE LINGUISTICS MODERATOR * * * *

The Age of Enlightenment (sometimes just called "the Enlightenment") was a period in European history when there was a strong emphasis on questioning traditional customs, institutions and morals, including--prominently--religions and systems of government. Reason was regarded as the source of authority. The movement started in northwestern Europe but eventually spread widely throughout Europe, as far as Italy and Russia, and to the American colonies. All of the signatories of the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, the U.S. Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Bill of Rights were acknowledged as motivated by principles associated with the Enlightenment.

There was a strong aspiration toward the consolidation of government, the primacy of the nation-state, and greater rights for (those then known as) the common people; the reduction or revocation of the authority of the aristocracy and the established churches; and in general the elimination of superstitious, oppressive and reactionary forces.

The term "Enlightenment" or "Age of Enlightenment" was not actually used in English until the mid-19th Century. Since it was comprised of no single movement or school of thought, and many of its philosophies were inconsistent or downright contradictory, there is no consensus on the boundaries of the period. It is customarily defined as the 18th century, but some writers include the late 17th century, which by itself is usually called "The Age of Reason," and its beginning may be marked by Britain's "Glorious Revolution" in 1688. Some scholars even trace it back to Descartes in the early 17th century. Its conclusion is variously marked by specific events as far apart as the Napoleonic wars of the early 18th century and the French Revolution of 1789.

The liberalism of our era--both the leftism that co-opted the name and the classic liberalism that had to rename itself as libertarianism--trace their lineage to the principles of the Enlightenment. Scholars have given the Enlightenment credit for the advent of the scientific method, free-market capitalism, republican democracy, freedom of the press, religious tolerance, and modernism in a number of disciplines.

Enlightenment was an attitude rather than a system of shared beliefs, which Immanuel Kant described succinctly as, "the freedom to use one's own intelligence."

Some of these details and catchphrases were taken from the Wikipedia article on this topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. disease Banned Banned

Yes, the Age of Enlightenment relates the freedom of thought and reason that followed centuries of repression by the Church.

But what is reason and intellectual enlightenment? Is there a kind of enlightenment as Eastern mythologies, and some Western ones imply, that has nothing to do with reason and intellect?
    Is it possible to be enlightened in a way that isn't connected to rationality, or even to thought, I mean?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swarm Registered Senior Member

Did we just lose some posts and a couple threads?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

Reason follows from experience or intellect?

8. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

enlightenment is hardly a gradual leveling up and finally AHHHHHHHHHHH and that's it. It has been recorded sometimes to work like this, but I have also read accounts where one might become enlightened a few times before finally sinking back into a goal-oriented routine.

To become enlightened you can't want to become enlightened. That is a big problem for most I believe.

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

Its a balencing trick.

Wanting the right amount at the right time in the right way is not a problem.

Wanting the wrong amount or at the wrong time or in the wrong way is just how you learn to do it right.

No big deal, but "wrong" can end up hurting when pursued to strenuously.

10. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

what is the right amount/time/way?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When your needs are taken care of and you have something left over for your wants during your lifetime.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.”
    Zen Proverb quotes

“If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose”
    Jack Handy quotes

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually that sounds like a good way to be in a perpetual state of "want"

14. swarm Registered Senior Member

How do you balence on a bike?

You do it wrong a few times, learn from your mistakes, and then it kind of clicks in to place one time and you know.

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

great analogy thanks...

perhaps life changing. I was in a bind, but I suppose meditation is isomorphic to biking, archery, or kung fu.

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

NP, one of the things people miss is they think they are looking for an answer but actually what you are doing is developing positive processes in your life. That's why the "instant zen" things are no good. Achieving a particular state is nice but the zen part is learning how to get there on your own.

Its like the difference between riding a segue and a bike. the segue gives you instant balance, but it does so by doing it for you and when you are done you haven't learn how to balance.

Ride a bike and you learn something about maintaining you balance in the process.

Sit in meditation and you learn how to achieve your own mental balance and focus.

17. oldgrowth Registered Member

Dear People

I am looking for someone else who has truly experience what the Buddist call Nirvana-- I would be very grateful Thank you Peace

18. oldgrowth Registered Member

Enlightenment thread

I received a private message from swarm that I cannot reply to you privately due to my only 1 posting--My response to your question of why do I want to find someone else that have experienced what is called Nirvana? To share Peace

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If they had already experienced what is called nirvana, there would be nothing to share

20. oldgrowth Registered Member

There are rigid and dogmatic explanations of what is called cosmic consciousness or Nirvana --and it seems to be from people who have not truly experienced it --There is no hierchy or ego in this experience --Peace

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

mainly because there is no individuality in the experience either

:shrug:

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yeah, like from the Buddha himself!

23. swarm Registered Senior Member

What is it you want to share?