What is evidence?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Ophiolite, May 10, 2016.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And this is why nobody does (or will) take you seriously... you're no better than L. Ron Hubbard in this respect; a mysterious set of super criteria that only you know that can unquestionably prove the existence of something science has looked at for decades without coming to a solid conclusion on.

AKA - simple crackpottery and delusions of grandeur.

Post your criteria if you are so certain of them - otherwise, you are just posturing without a leg to stand on.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! Now I'm L. Ron Hubbard...yawn.

Reported for insults and flaming.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    dumbest man on earth likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

So what's your criterion for rejecting all the evidence that MR presents?

One option would be to deny that it is evidence. I think that move would fail, for the same reasons that I was arguing with Exchemist about.

Another option would be to argue that it isn't good evidence, but that dismissive judgement seems to require its own criterion.

MR's criterion seems to be common sense. If people report seeing X, then that's evidence for the existence of X. We employ that criterion all the time: If I open my drawer and report seeing a pair of scissors in there, that's evidence that there are scissors in the drawer.

So what's your argument against doing that in the case of ufo reports?

As for me, I don't entirely dismiss the possibility that at least some small subset of ufo reports are something unexpected and potentially very interesting. Alien spacecraft is only one possibility. I personally prefer the theory that they are time travelers. Maybe they are space animals of some kind that occasionally enter into planetary atmospheres.

But... I'm inclined to give all those science-fictionish speculations low likelihoods of being true. That suggests that there are probably going to be more mundane explanations for the reports that have a higher likelihood of being correct: mistakes, hoaxes, misidentified mundane phenomena, false radar echoes, or whatever it is.

I fully realize that my assessment of the ufo evidence is strongly influenced by my a-priori assessments of the relative likelihoods of different things happening. That in turn is a function of my own world-view, which is not perfect or inerrant.

It isn't all that different from a devout Catholic interpreting an apparition as an appearance of the Blessed Virgin Mary, because of that person's passionate a-priori conviction of the truth of Catholic belief. I'm inclined to not believe that an apparation in the sky is an alien spaceship, because of my own belief in the tiny likelihood of such things happening. But there's an element of a-priori faith both ways.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

My criteria for evidence is no lower or higher than for any other event that might occur in our spacetime continuum. I don't buy for one minute that because a phenomenon is anomalous and unknown to us that it suddenly has to meet higher standards of proof. If some high energy emitting phenomena is really happening as reported, it will leave the same kind of evidence any other physical event would leave: multiple eyewitness accounts, radar returns, and effects on vegetation, automobiles, jet control panels, and the bodies of those who witnessed it. There are reports of ufos leaving residue on the ground as well, sometimes an unknown substance that glows for several days afterwards. After examining so many of these cases, my a priori estimation of their improbability has necessarily shifted to one of total plausibility given the empirical nature of the phenomenon itself demonstrated in hundreds of compelling cases.

It's like if you first heard of earthquake lights and assumed it more probable that people were hallucinating or seeing lightning than seeing some new unknown phenomenon. That criteria would be totally flawed being based on a worldview where earthquake lights never occur. You would always be dismissing the allegedly improbable phenomenon itself in favor of repeated collusions of mundane causes that typically only explain certain cherry-picked details of the account. You would in effect always confirm what your own limited worldview already assumes, that the phenomenon is too unlikely to ever occur. That's called begging the question. And that's a confirmation bias that is neither objective NOR very scientific imo.

8. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Of course one difficulty with my using my reporting seeing scissors in my drawer as an analogy for ufo reports involves what happens if somebody else is skeptical and doesn't believe that there are any scissors in there. In this common-sensical example, the doubter can simply look in the drawer for him/herself and verify (or contradict) my report.

One of the big problems with ufos (and religious miracles) is that kind of verification is typically impossible.

That obviously doesn't mean that the initial report can't be true, but inability to check for one's self doesn't do anything to resolve the doubter's disbelief.

So we are stuck with the choice of whether to believe the initial report largely on the authority of the individual making it, or whether to employ our own a-priori estimates of the report's likelihood of being true.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If the shoe fits, wear it. Don't like it? Then provide your criteria... unless you're afraid that it won't measure up (which is the probable reason you refuse to state it). Thus far, I have yet to see MR provide any evidence that cannot be as equally well explained by mundane explanations.

Simply put, there is a forum rule that MR has been given a pass on for reasons unknown to me: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Well, his claims of alien abductions, ghostly apparitions, and spiritual interventions certainly fit the bill for "extraordinary claims" - perhaps its time he is held to the same standard anyone who wishes to be taken seriously is and provides some extraordinary evidence.

However, we already know he won't, yet when his claims of supernatural phenomenon are debunked, he will demand such extraordinary evidence and refuse to accept mundane explanations without it. He pulled the same bullshit in his anti-vax thread... and to be blunt, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Ophiolite and paddoboy like this.
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

As usual you just lie and target me obsessively with insults and slanders. You never learn do you? You've already gotten in trouble for this bullshit many times before. I suggest you stop now before you are perma banned.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh, as I thought - you haven't the gall to even state what your belief is founded on.

As for the "lies" and "obsessive slander"... if you actually believe stating the plain and simple fact (that you have not properly supported your arguments, and are being given some mysterious pass for this) is somehow "slander", then I would recommend you read a dictionary.

The site rules that I am citing, as laid out by James R (for anyone who actually gives a damn):

and

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/sciforums-site-rules.142880/

For example:

I believe it is safe to say that this post violates the "Do not expect members to do your homework for you" rule:
    Now, MR, you are a "big boy"... so how about you answer a direct question succinctly for once, and explain how you decide that a mundane explanation is somehow insufficient, hm?

Ophiolite likes this.
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I don't expect MR or any of the other handful of anti science frauds we have here, to ever answer a question that may throw their personal agendas into disarray.
    I suppose in there eyes, it is the only way they are able to maintain any semblance of credibility. Sad.

sideshowbob and Ophiolite like this.
  13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Meh..Move along troll...You're the last person on earth I'm doing anything for.

14. Bells Staff Member

Eh tu, Xi...?

We all know what a plane is, MR.

I am sure we have all seen them in airports, flown on them ourselves, or at the very least, seen them flying overhead.

As for the beliefs in UFO's (which is, I might add, off topic and this discussion does not really belong in this thread), there are a variety of reasons why people believe in them, but most importantly, so that this post is not off topic, there are reasons and evidence that people will and do ignore evidence and at other times, see 'evidence' that isn't actually there. Then of course comes the fact that we will believe what we want to believe, regardless of what anyone else says.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, people of all levels of education like to believe in “weird things,” says Michael Shermer of the Skeptical Inquirer. Shermer wrote that people tend to seek or interpret evidence favorable to existing beliefs and ignore or misinterpret evidence unfavorable to those beliefs.

This is no more obvious than in the writings of “creationist scientists” who either reject or grossly misinterpret geological, biological and astronomical data to support their biblical-based belief in an 8,000 year-old universe.

This “confirmation bias” is in real science as well. The classic example is the 1903 discovery of “N-rays” a completely new form of radiation announced by Prosper-René Blondlot. At the time, dozens of other scientists confirmed the existence of N-rays in their own laboratories. But further tests showed that N-rays don’t exist at all.

How could so many scientists be wrong? They deceived themselves into thinking they were seeing something with their instruments that in fact was not there. This came on the heels of Wilhelm Rontgen’s discovery of X-rays and Paul Ulrich Villard’s discovery of gamma rays in the early 1900s. Apparently there was a predisposition to expecting that other invisible forms of radiation must permeate the universe.

Likewise, any two people can see a blob of light in the sky, one thinking it is the planet Venus and the other person predisposed to interpreting it as a space vehicle under alien control. Yes, airline pilots, and law enforcement office seen strange things in the heavens too. But this is outside of their sphere of expertise — especially when it comes to astronomical phenomena seen under unusual conditions.

Collectively, UFO stories are a sci-fi inspired projection of how we think space visitors would look and behave. Despite over 60 years of “sightings,” the purported scientific evidence is largely anecdotal and uncorroborated. The Mars Science Lab landing left more physical evidence strewn on the Red Planet than thousands of alleged flying saucers reported over the decades.

I’d say that UFO beliefs are fueled by a “secular theology” where people look for greater meaning to the universe and our relationship with it. The theme is that the aliens flying the UFOs pay attention to us, worry about our misdeeds (as evident in alleged sighting of UFOs hanging around nuclear power plants) and want to help raise us to a higher level of existence. This is simply a post-industrial age version of ages old stores of visitation by angels, demons, and other imaginary spirits.

A few of my colleagues dismiss the SETI searches as an unscientific experiment that border on theology. We imagine aliens that are intellectually made in our image: they are as curious as we are, they build lasers or radio telescopes like we do, and they are similarly motivated to devote time and resources simply to letting us know that they exist among the stars. This is hypothesis on top of hypothesis.

Also, people simply love to believe in weird things just because it’s fun. (As an example, simply listen to the audio track of the UFO sighting posted on the YouTube video shown above.) The staid, rational world described in physics, astronomy or biology 101 classes is a bore to most undergraduates.

This is exacerbated by the fact that students traditionally are taught what to think but not how to think, concludes Richard Walker and colleagues in a 2001 survey of 211 college students. One of the true/false questions was, “The government is hiding evidence of alien visitors at Area 51.” Walker’s conclusion: science knowledge is not an inoculation against accepting pseudoscientific gobbledygook.

What’s more, fun ideas sell. Simply go to you neighborhood bookstore. Pseudoscience topics from astrology to parapsychology fill a lot more shelves than hard-core science books.

That's not really the best. In a scientific thread about "evidence", to suggest that no one needs to know your criteria, when you expect others to believe what you say, is bizarre to say the least.

You obviously do have a criteria, the question is, why won't you explain what it is?

For example, several weeks ago, my ex husband and I were down at my parents house on the coast. We were chatting outside, with the folk's neighbours, no lights were on, no electrical light interference and we were sitting outside and chatting in the dark and watching the nocturnal wildlife of the bush area the folks live in when one of the neighbours asked us to look up. Being in a bush area, there aren't many street lights or electrical lights in general to interfere with star gazing. We looked up and after a few seconds, noticed a flash of light, but not a bright flash, it looked like it was a large tube(ish) or rounded type shaped, with light green lights and it looked like it was tumbling in place, like the shape itself was moving, but it was stationary in place. In that part of the coast, it isn't abnormal to see weird lights in the sky. The light wasn't moving, it was stationary, so we knew it couldn't have been the ISS, which when that flies over, looks like a bright star moving very very fast. It was too big to be a stationary satellite. So what else could it have been? About 8 of us saw it. It was like that for about 20 minutes, before it stopped.

So what could it have been?

a) Weather balloon (given its shape and size, it could very well have been).
    b) Rocket booster of some sort tumbling.
    c) Drone
    d) Helicopter flying stationary at a very high altitude.
    e) Low orbit satellite reflecting the last rays of the setting sun.
    f) A planet, and the pollution was doing weird things to its light in the atmosphere.
    g) A reflection off ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, of lights either on the ground or in the sky itself.

This was just off the top of our heads as we tried to discuss what it was.

We joked about aliens, because well, who wouldn't. But there is a large criteria of things we would need to go through first, to eliminate every other possibility before saying it truly was unknown and unexplained.

And I think that is what a lot of issues people have with UFO believers. They are not listing their criteria, or what possibilities they are eliminating before they come to the conclusion that it is a UFO of alien origin.

In that regard, we do need to know what your criteria is. If you want to convince people, not listing what you have eliminated, and not explaining why or how you have come to that conclusion, is not helpful and it is certainly unscientific.

If you look at a scientific research paper, they do list their criteria. They don't just list the results and say 'go and develop your own criteria for the research and study the field yourself'. They are required to go through and methodically explain and provide everything.

So the question of UFO's and aliens.. No one can say. But thus far, no one has ever been able to eliminate all possibilities properly before coming to the conclusion that it is alien. And until they are able to do that, they will not be taken seriously and they will be questioned. And the reason for that is simple. UFO believers are such firm believers that they fall prey to their own desire to prove the existence of UFO's that they either fake the evidence or misrepresent what they are taking blurry photos of or filming strangely, to push their own beliefs. Or they become gullible and buy into every crackpot theory that presents itself before them. They stop eliminating all the possibilities of what it could be and jump right to 'aliens'. People will believe what they want to believe and people who so firmly believe in UFO's or other paranormal phenomena will ignore all rational thought and jump directly to what they want it to be, because that is what they believe.

It's not just that the evidence they are providing is often dodgy, but a lot of the time, they have posted their conclusion of what they want it to be and believe it is, without actually eliminating anything of what else it could have rationally been first.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yeah Bells, everyone knows what an airplane looks like. Duh.. That's how we know there are ufos. Because they look and behave nothing like airplanes or helicopters or jets. And no, they're not swamp gas either.

I convince by providing compelling evidence as I always have. It is entirely irrelevant to being convinced what I think or believe or what my alleged criteria is for eliminating mundane explanations. The best evidence speaks for itself and eliminates mundane explanations on its own. That's how we know it's not mundane. Because ufos show the characteristics of being intelligently controlled craft that exceed any conventional craft we have and behave in ways that defy any sort of mundane cause. Now, since you are suddenly so interested in looking at the evidence for ufos now, do you really want me to repost my 18 compelling cases from another thread that totally defy all mundane explanations? Are we supposed to derail threads with a pedantic 12 page analysis of offtopic subjects now? Or are you here just to flame and bicker and infract and stereotype millions of ufo believers just like you usually do?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. Bells Staff Member

What you are providing is not eliminating anything else it could be.

And neither are you.

Which is distinctly problematic.

There is no methodology to explain how you or the person who posted the video, for example, went from seeing a light in the sky to determining that it is a UFO of alien origin.

How can you know it is not mundane, when you have completely failed to account and eliminate that it is not something mundane?

You are literally going from point A, and going straight to point E, while skipping everything else in-between. In other words, you are failing to account for and then discount everything else before reaching your conclusion.

The best evidence is able to stand up to scrutiny and is able to categorically explain itself and in the process, clearly eliminate any other mundane explanations.

What you are providing as evidence does not do this.

Well firstly, you need to be able to prove that it is a UFO of alien origin.

To do that, you have to be able to eliminate all of the mundane things it could be. You do not do that and what you provide as evidence does not do that. Hence the problem.

What you are doing instead is to skip the process that should be involved in eliminating everything else and you go straight to the conclusion of what you believe it is. And that's the kicker. You believe. As a result of that belief, you refuse to acknowledge that it could be something else, something more mundane.

And no, I do not want you to repost anything from the Fringe section in the science sub-forums. They do not belong in the science forum. Secondly, you also need to be aware that if you do post them here, then they will face scientific scrutiny and you will be required by the rules of this forum, to scientifically eliminate everything else and you will need to be able to support your contention that they are in fact alien aircraft. As such, no such evidence exists. The choice is entirely up to you. Because failure to provide said scientific evidence, which will mean that you need to eliminate everything else scientifically, will see you moderated.

No MR. I am here to address a point that has arisen in this thread. A point raised by you and which has concerned others on this site, because you are refusing to provide any form of criteria to support your contention and you have instead, demanded that people look things up for themselves, when you make an unscientific and unsupported claim.

At the very least, you do need to provide a criteria. You are refusing to do so. Why? There is no reason to refuse. It is a simple request and one that should be fairly easy for you to answer.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I already told you my criteria for eliminating the mundane is in the evidence itself. Everytime. It would be insane for me not to eliminate the mundane first. Every investigator in the field of ufology does this constantly, notwithstanding your ignorant screed about how they only see what they want to believe. And now I see like all pseudoskeptics you only pretend to be interested in a field you know absolutely nothing about. How many accounts of ufos have you looked at Bells? How many books or websites, besides skeptic websites, have you read about it? None. And that's the pattern I encounter here. People repeatedly making uninformed and sweeping generalizations about a field of research they know nothing about because they never ever look into it.

And no, I will not derail this thread with a topic already well-adressed and evidenced in the fringe section. Go look at the evidence yourself. Then come back and presume to lecture me about criteria for evidence and interpretive bias and such. Because like all pseudoskeptics who only pretend to examine evidence objectively, you have no credibility on this matter at all. You are only interested in proving there are no such things as ufos, twisting the evidence to fit a conclusion you have already made. That is the height of confirmation bias. And certainly not science. Science is first and foremost about gathering facts from actual documented cases. Until you have done that, you don't have any idea what your talking about here.

18. Bells Staff Member

But that's the thing, you aren't actually doing that.

You go from 'light in the sky' to 'it's a UFO/aliens' without actually going through and eliminating anything that it could be. The videos you are posting also do not do this. You are not eliminating the mundane first. What you are doing is dismissing the mundane, because the mundane does not fit into what you personally believe. There is a vast difference. To eliminate the mundane would mean to acknowledge that it could be the mundane, and then investigating it to make sure that it is not the mundane before it can be eliminated. You aren't doing that. You refuse to even consider the possibility that it could be the mundane.

Remember when you posted this:

The Levelland Texas sighting in 1957 of course, is about a sighting that has been disputed by scientists.

But then you posted a video with that post, to allude that this happened in Levelland Texas in 1957. Your video was from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (which happens to be one of my all time favourite movies. And when I say "all time", I mean all time in that my kids refuse to watch it with me because I can recite the words). Was this your evidence of the sighting in Levelland, Texas in 1957?

It's not that we don't look at what you are presenting. I think your issue is that we are looking at what you are presenting and we are looking at it scientifically and we are looking at everything it could be first, before making or coming to any conclusion. You are not doing that.

To suggest that breaking down something and trying to eliminate everything first, is to make uninformed and sweeping generalisations about "a field of research", when said field actually repeatedly fails to account for the mundane is disingenuous on your part. Nothing you have presented as evidence of anything, actually even attempts to eliminate anything else it could be. You post a video or photo of what you claim to be a UFO, without doing any research on it, without even attempting to eliminate what else it could be and then you get very angry and offended when anyone else actually tries to do the right thing, scientifically. Do you understand now?

This is a science forum and yes, we do have a UFO and Fringe sub-section. But posting a video or picture is not enough. You need to be able to explain and discount what it is not first and why and how. In short, you need to list your criteria of what makes a UFO in a picture or video, an alien craft and to do that, you need to be able to eliminate anything else it could be first, not to mention that you need to be able to prove that it is not fake. And you are not doing that.

So when you were asked to list your criteria before, you refused to do so and you are yet to do so, unless you are claiming that your saying it doesn't look mundane so it isn't mundane, is your criteria? If that is the case, then that appears to be the crux of your problem and why you have such difficulty in supporting your claims about UFO's or anything else 'paranormal'.

If you cannot prove that the video or image is not fake (and a lot of what you post is fake and/or is photoshopped) and if you cannot eliminate all that it could be with evidence to support that it isn't those things, then I'm afraid that what you are posting cannot be classified as "evidence" of anything.

And this is why you are kind of required to post your criteria. Because this:

Is not acceptable in a science forum. If you are claiming something is real or true, you need to post your criteria. It is on you to prove that it is real and/or true.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Uh no..that is not from that movie. You can't even distinguish a documentary from a movie. It is a dramatization of what happened in Levelland of which there were around 15 witnesses all of whom reported seeing the oval object and their automobile stalling at the same time. There is no mundane explanation for this. Was it a plane? No. Was it swamp gas? No. Was it the planet Venus? No..Was it a weather balloon? No..Must be a ufo then. See? That's how the mundane is eliminated. On a case by case basis, examining the details and comparing them to other documented cases. Until you do this, you have no credibility on this matter at all and certainly don't deserve my account of some spurious objective criteria for eliminating the mundane. My criteria is from looking at the evidence itself, eliminating the mundane logically in my own mind. If you can't accept that, that's your problem. I'm not about to go into details about evidence you won't even look at.

And you or anybody else here certainly don't speak for what science is as long as you never look into the evidence yourself . The science is being performed by the people who actually research these cases like MUFON and NUFORC. It's not from the denialists who can't handle the fact of ufos existing. So go educate yourself first. And keep your pompous longwinded lectures to yourself. You aren't my superior. You're just a glorified babysitter in a nerd treehouse. A job you can't even perform properly. I'm certainly not interested in what pseudoskeptics have to say about "objectively" looking at evidence, trying to pass off their crude debunkery as some sort of unbiased logical analysis. I've looked at the evidence for 14 years and know what it entails- the actual existence of nonhuman craft that have occupants and that aren't even necessarily aliens. Go read my threads if that confuses you. Until you fill the void of your own ignorance on this subject, there's really nothing more to say. The evidence speaks for itself. Always.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I can't let this one slip by. Bells claims it is "disputed by scientists". That apparently is enough for her to dismiss it. But let's actually go to her link and see what it says:

"Levelland is famous as the site of a well-publicized series of UFO sightings in November 1957. Several motorists driving on various highways around Levelland claimed to see a large, egg-shaped object which emitted a blue glow and caused their automobiles to shut off.[8] In most cases, the object was sitting either on the highway or close to it. When the object took off, witnesses claimed their vehicles would restart and work normally. Among witnesses were Weir Clem, Levelland's sheriff, and Ray Jones, the town's fire chief. The United States Air Force concluded a severe electrical storm (most probably ball lightning), was the major cause for the sightings and reported auto failures.[8] However, several prominent UFO researchers, among them Dr. James E. McDonald, a physicist at the University of Arizona, and Dr. J. Allen Hynek, an astronomer at Northwestern University, disputed this explanation. Both men argued that no electrical storm was in the area when the sightings occurred."

Notice it wasn't scientists at all that claimed it was ball lightning. It was the USAF. The two scientists mentioned debunked that claim with the fact that there was no thunderstorm going on at the time. So we are left with what folks? Ball lightning repeating 15 times in different areas and stalling out all eyewitnesses' vehicles on a stormless night? lol! And there you have the much vaunted "objectivity" of the debunker--positing absurd explanations that don't even fit the facts of the case. So much for stern lectures on rigorous sciency methodologies.

21. Bells Staff Member

The opening sequence of the video you posted is from the Close Encounters of the Third Kind movie. Unless you are going to suggest that Richard Dreyfuss acted in the dramatization of what happened in Levelland (in a truck that is from the 1970's)?

The video you posted even advises that it was from that movie. And it then falsely claims that it was based on the Levelland UFO sighting.

The reality is vastly different. Close Encounters of the Third Kind was based on Spielberg's imagination:

The film's origins can be traced to director Steven Spielberg's youth, when he and his father watched a meteor shower in New Jersey.[4] As a teenager, Spielberg completed the full-length science fiction film Firelight. Many scenes from Firelight would be incorporated in Close Encounters on a shot-for-shot basis.[8] In 1970 he wrote a short story called Experiences about a lovers' lane in a Midwestern United States farming community and the "light show" a group of teenagers see in the night sky.[9] In late 1973, during post-production on The Sugarland Express, Spielberg developed a deal with Columbia Pictures for a science fiction film. 20th Century Fox previously turned down the offer.[9] Julia and Michael Phillips instantly signed on as producers.[10]

He first considered doing a documentary or a low-budget feature film about people who believed in UFOs. Spielberg decided "a film that depended on state of the art technology couldn't be made for $2.5 million."[9] Borrowing a phrase from the ending of The Thing from Another World, he retitled the film Watch the Skies, rewriting the premise concerning Project Blue Book and pitching the concept to Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz. Katz remembered "It had flying saucers from outer space landing on Robertson Boulevard [inWest Hollywood, California]. I go, 'Steve, that's the worst idea I ever heard."[9] Spielberg brought Paul Schrader to write the script in December 1973 with principal photography to begin in late-1974. However, Spielberg started work on Jaws in 1974, pushing Watch the Skies back.[9]

So the video you posted as evidence falsely attributed scenes from the movie and then falsely claimed it was based on the "real life incident" of Levelland UFO sighting. And you used this as evidence of the Levelland sighting.

Not only that, you are now saying that it was a dramatisation of what happened in Levelland.

The sad thing is that UFO enthusiasts have taken Spielberg's quote out of context about the movie and Government conspiracies, just as they have overblown his use of Hynek as a consultant (and brief appearance as an actor) on (and in) the movie. Spielberg advised he used him because he wanted that sort of Government conspiracy to come off credibly, that the whole phenomenon of sightings to have a bit more credibility.. The title of the movie itself comes from Hynek himself..

This is the sort of dodgy evidence you are trying to pass off on this forum. It isn't evidence at all. Aside from the fraudulent claims at the start of that video, for you to then falsely claim that it is a dramatisation of what happened in Levelland is ridiculous.

Hence the issue of what you are trying to pass off on this forum as "evidence". And it is why you were asked to post your criteria, because what you are currently trying to pass off as evidence is not evidence at all.

To not get bogged down with UFO's in the science subforum, I am just going to touch on your approach.

Firstly, you cannot prove that it wasn't any of those things because you a) refuse to do so, b) refuse to even acknowledge that it could have been something mundane..

Secondly, your approach to the subject of "evidence" is disingenuous. You have declared it isn't any of those things, without any evidence that it is not any of those things.

Thirdly, your criteria is not actually looking at any evidence. You are looking at videos and declaring that is evidence and this is your criteria? Break it down. Prove that it isn't anything mundane. State your criteria clearly. A video doesn't work well for you, as we saw in one example of what you posted. Declaring you are doing this in your own mind.. consider that we are not in your head. So we need to see actual proof and evidence. Your mind doesn't cut it.

Until you can do this clearly, you will have no credibility.

You haven't presented any actual scientific evidence. You've posted some dodgy videos and pictures of stuff and told us what that is, without anything at all to support your claim that this is what you are saying it is. As such, if you took the time to even look up what you were posting and doing some research, eliminating what it is not with evidence to support your claim that it is not "swamp gas", for example, then you might be taken more seriously. But you aren't doing that and when someone asks you to post your criteria, you refuse to do so and tell them to make up their own.

My criteria is to go through each one, make sure it's not a fake image, completely rule out that it is not something else. You aren't doing that at all. You are taking everything at face value.

As a result, you post dodgy pictures and videos, most of which are fake, and all of which can be explained.

That isn't evidence. And it certainly does not bear up to any form of scrutiny. Just because you believe it is so does not make it so.

22. Bells Staff Member

What evidence?

You have yet to provide any.

And the science is being performed by MUFON and NUFORC? What science, exactly? By which scientists?

Robert Powell? He has a Bachelor in Chemistry.. He's in charge of the "Science Review Board" at NUFON... NUFON investigates UFO and is trying to have "UFOlogy" recognised in the media as being an actual science. Reports of sightings that Powell and his review board went over, include quotes from people and bizarre drawings and one photograph of what looks like a clay pigeon at a shooting range. This is the so called 'scientific' evidence you are relying upon? Surely you jest!

And you might think I am a glorified babysitter in a nerd treehouse and you might be correct. I see myself more as a janitor, one of the few of us who mop up the proverbial shit on this site. But the irony of your statement is that you are here, avidly posting in said "nerd treehouse", desperately trying to argue that your evidence passes muster. It does not. And this has been an ongoing issue with you. You may claim that you are not interested by what we have to say for what rubbish you post here, and that's fine. You can not care. But we are also within our rights to demand you post evidence and if you fail to do so and if you fail to support your argument, we are well within our rights to issue you with an infraction.

You can have looked at "evidence" for 14 years. And this may well have allowed or compelled you to believe that aliens are visiting Earth. You are yet to provide any of that compelling evidence here, however.

Having read your threads, I am fairly certain that the issue of ignorance on the matter does not stem from my end.

You should have let it slip by:

KAMC News asked Dr. Eric Bruning, an atmospheric scientist at Texas Tech, to take a look at the Levelland case files. He says the science in the report checks out, and that what's in the documents doesn't give him any reason to doubt the Air Force's interpretation of the incident as ball lightning.

"Ball lightning is characterized as a luminous ball of some sort. The size of a baseball, basketball, lasting a few seconds to maybe a minute in reports," Dr. Bruning explained. "The science that the Air Force used to understand this event back in 1957 is sound and consistent with everyone we did know and have since learned about ball lightning."

[Source]

And..

The Levelland sightings received national publicity, and were soon investigated by Project Blue Book. Started in 1947 as Project Sign, Project Blue Book was the official US Air Force research group assigned to investigate UFO reports. An Air Force sergeant was sent to Levelland, and spent seven hours in the city investigating the incident.[2] After interviewing three of the eyewitnesses - Saucedo, Wheeler, and Wright - and after learning that thunderstorms were present in the area earlier in the day, the Air Force investigator concluded that a severe electrical storm - most probably ball lightning or St. Elmo's fire - was the major cause for the sightings and reported auto failures.[2] According to UFO historian Curtis Peebles, "the Air Force found only three persons who had witnessed the 'blue light'...there was no uniform description of the object."[4] Additionally, Project Blue Book believed that "Saucedo's account could not be relied upon - he had only a grade school education and had no concept of direction and was conflicting in his answers...in view of the stormy weather conditions, an electrical phenomenon such as ball lightning or St. Elmo's fire seemed to be the most probable cause."[4] The engine failures mentioned by the eyewitnesses were blamed on "wet electrical circuits."[4]Donald H. Menzel a prominent UFO researcher of the era, agreed with the Air Force explanation: "members of civilian saucer groups complained that, since [the Air Force investigator] had spent only seven hours in the area, he had obviously not taken the problem seriously and could not have found the correct solution. Even seventy hours of labor, however, could not have produced a clearer picture...the evidence leads to an overwhelming probability: the fiery unknown at Levelland was ball lightning."[2] Menzel argued that "in Levelland on the night of November 2 conditions were ideal for the formation of ball lightning. For several days the area had been experiencing freak weather, and on the night in question had been visited by rain, thunderstorms and lightning."[2] Menzel admitted that "since ball lightning is short-lived and cannot be preserved as tangible evidence, its appearance on the night of November 2 can never be absolutely proved." However, he also argued that "only the saucer proponents could have converted so trivial a series of events - a few stalled automobiles, balls of flame in the sky at the end of the thunderstorm - into a national mystery."[2]
    [
    Source]

Which all just further proves that you are unable to discount anything "mundane" before you present it as fact. Hence the issue with your posts and threads on these subjects. You believe, so you cannot conceivably think that it could be something else and you categorically discount any other explanation because to do so would force you to question your personal beliefs. Belief in something is not evidence that it exists. Ergo your belief that what you are posting is evidence of the paranormal, is not actual evidence that it exists or that what you are posting is even real.

It is also why you refuse to actually list your criteria. And it is also why your approach to "evidence" is so problematic.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! So now there was supposedly a thunderstorm, but it was earlier in the day, not at night. And the ball lightning, instead of being about the size of basketball as it usually is, was huge-around 200 feet, landed and took off from the ground, and had the power to shut off 15 car engines in different parts of the county. And the cars all stalled coincidently from wet circuits from earlier in the day, but magically restart after the oval object took off. Don't believe that bullshit for a second. Here's the actual account of the sightings themselves. Once again, nothing about the actual case comes close to the official USAF explanation, who apparently only talked to 3 witnesses. Just pseudoskeptics cherrypicking the details that suit their own conclusion. Go back to your janitor closet Bells. You've defaced this thread enough with your disengenous bullshit.

"In November 2, 1957, one of the best documented cases of UFO landings took place in Levelland, Texas, at the time a city of about 10,000 people. This night would be the most unforgettable experience ever for patrolman A. J. Fowler, who was manning the police call line. He received fifteen different calls from anxious citizens reporting UFOs. The sightings began at 11:00 PM, some four miles west of town. Pedro Saucedo and friend Joe Salaz were driving in a pick-up truck, and observed a brightly lit cigar-shaped object heading in their direction.

200 Foot Long Object:

Pedro's truck began to fail, the engine cut out, and the electrical system went dead. The truck was allowed to roll to a stop. Pedro and his friend recalled the unknown object as being 200 feet long. In the small town of Whiteface, he called in what he had seen to Fowler, who thinking he was talking to a drunk person, dismissed the call.

Brightly Lit Egg-Shaped Object:

At 11:45 PM, Fowler gets his second call of the night.
    Near the small town of Whitharral, located four miles east of Levelland, a man encountered an egg-shaped object, this time the object was sitting in the middle of the road. The object was brightly lit. The man left his vehicle, watching the object from a safe distance. Shortly, the UFO slowly raised from the ground to an altitude of about 200 feet, and disappeared. His vehicle had also stalled, but restarted after the UFO was gone.

Object Lands on Road:

At 12:00 AM, the third call of the night comes in. A man traveling about 11 miles north of Levelland sees a UFO sitting on the road. His vehicle is disabled. He sits for a time watching the unknown craft. Before long, the silent object lifts up, and disappears into the night. The man's car immediately fires up again. He drives to the nearest telephone, and calls in his report.

Object Sitting on Road:

At 12:10 A.M, Texas Tech freshman Newell Wright was driving 9 miles east of Levelland when his engine failed. The nineteen-year-old got out of his car, popped open the hood, and tried to see if he had an electrical problem. He then saw an unknown object landed on the pavement a small piece down the road. He estimated the object's length at 125 feet. It was a bluish-green color. It soon rose up and disappeared.

Fourth Object on Road:

Only five minutes later, at 12:15 AM, another driver near Whitharral, encountered an unknown object in the middle of the highway. His vehicle also was disabled. Like the other drivers, after the object left, his vehicle returned to normal. After a fourth call reporting a landed object in the middle of the road, patrolman Fowler began to worry, and called patrol cars in the Levelland area to be on the look out for this object.

Orange Ball Lands on Road:

At 12:45 AM, Fowler received yet another report from the general area of Saucedo's initial sighting. This time the driver sees an orange ball-like object coming toward him. He reported that the UFO made a soft, quiet landing on the pavement of the road. He also related a strange phenomena-the orange color of the object changed to a bluish-green color as it landed on the highway. He could also estimate the length of the object at about 18 feet, as it covered the entire width of the road.

200 Foot Long Object Seen Agaiin:

There would be about a 30 minute lapse in the reports with the next one coming in at 1:15 AM. A truck driver from the city of Waco, Texas, made the call. He tells Fowler that driving northeast of Levelland, he saw a large unknown object which glowed in the dark sky. The man sounded frightened on the phone. The trucker noted that the object was about 200 feet long, which agreed with the initial Saucedo report. The man's truck, temporarily disabled by the object, roared back to life when the object left his area.

Two Policemen See Object:

Up until 1:30 AM, all of the reports received by Fowler had been from civilians. That would change when he received a report from two lawmen, about 3-4 miles out of Levelland. Sheriff Clem and Deputy McCullough testified that they observed a "large, glowing object," pass across the highway in front of them. The had never seen anything quite like it. They had been monitoring Fowler's reports on the positions of the callers, and tracking the object. The officers stated that the entire highway was lit up below the sun-like object.

No Less Than 15 Reports:

For reasons that we will never know, for some 2 1/2 hours on the night of November 2, 1957, the city of Levelland, Texas was visited by unknown flying objects that landed on the roads of the city and surrounding areas. Patrolman Fowler logged fifteen calls from concerned, and sometimes frightened callers. What exactly were the UFOs that landed in or near Levelland? Certainly, a full investigation was needed.

The day after the sightings, the entire city was full of newspaper reporters, and other interested parties. The United States Air Force did eventually arrive in Levelland, but only did a brief overview of the case. They theorized that "ball lightning" could be the cause of the sightings. Naturally, we know that ball lightning does not land on highways, and disrupt car engines. The case of the Levelland, Texas, landings is still unsolved."===http://ufos.about.com/od/bestufocasefiles/p/levelland.htm