What is Love?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Is love just an physical/emotional need in humans to help reproduction or is it somehting more powerful/cosmic?

Thanx,
    Cactus

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Love developed due to evolution. Love tends to create a favorable enviroment for successful procreation as well as post-birth nurture.

The combination creates a powerful influence for survival of the species.

I'm curious to see what role love plays when anti-aging treatments become widely available and people begin to live for centuries. Population control will be needed at first but I for one would not want to have another family. That was an interesting experience and I want to pursue other interests now. I no longer have an urgent need to find a loving partner and procreate. I suspect that love will become far less important in a long-lived society.

Lack of animosity will be important but that is different to love.

Cris

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hm ... Cris ...

"Love developed due to evolution."

What 'love' are you talking about? Surely not romantic love.
    Evolution? How ... why ... ?

"Love tends to create a favorable enviroment for successful
    procreation as well as post-birth nurture.
    "

As does living up some hollow and going to town twice a year
    for 'necessities'.

So what's your point?

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Chagur,

I think you are being a little dense today.

Any combination of emotional effects that you want to attribute to the term ‘love’.

If evolution favored the emotion of hate then it would seem unlikely that the species would have survived since procreation would have been unlikely to have occurred very often. Those individuals that had that particular trait would have likely died out resulting in only those individuals with the trait of love surviving.

Well what’s your point? If you consider other environments also encourage procreation then fine. I made no implication that love was the only approach. The topic is about love remember.

Cris

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what about love for companinionship?

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Humans = social animals. We need(ed) each otehr for survival. So naturally the human animals always felt safest and had the best chance for survival when with other humans. We developed biological mechanisms to encourage that community, that social behaviour, simply so we humans could survive. Romantic love was a further extension to facilitate mating pairs within that community.

PS: Yes, I'm down on the whole love thing lately.

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Cris is the man. I completely agree, love does form out of evolution and is present one way or another in every animal that procreates sexually (as for the asexual ones, well, they love themselves). Since we're generally fairly intelligent compared to most other species we figured that to survive we would be able to live longer in the harsh world if we worked together, and that's how our populations grew a little faster you might say because for the most part we didn't have to search for a mate, they were already ripe for the taking in our hunting packs.

But I think that for awhile at least love will be present, but I think for the most part love is what spurs most other emotions, jealousy, fear, hate, disgust, laughter, etc. You get the point.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Where's Nelson?

Romantic love probably evolved to facilitate pair bonding. Human children are helpless for a longer period of time, so the pair bond between parents must of necessity be stronger.

This also explains why humans and other animals with long infancies enjoy sex more than other animals without.

In other words, what Cris said.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

HERE I AM!!!!!

Am I late?

I only saw this thread now...

Well Love is certainly the Spirit of the Universe!

Love is Conscience.
    Unconditional Love is the True Love.
    Love is pure.
    Love is kind.
    Love is omniscient,
    Omnipotent,
    Omnipresent.

Love is Everything!

We are Love Beings.
    We are the Children of Love.

Love,
    Nelson

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yes, you were. I mean, you find topics like 'love' faster than a lawyer finds a car-accident victim.

Sushi!,
    Xev

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

To all,

Well I guess that is worth some kind of response otherwise people will think that truthseeker has a valid point, which he doesn’t.

Words of a dreamer, otherwise more gibberish.

No, love is a set of human emotions.

Unconditional love is impossible since conditions can result where perceived unconditional love can cause massive harm.

No, kindness is part of the loving process.

No, love is generally blind.

Unfortunately love and emotions don’t pay the bills, and that is where the intellect becomes useful.

Nope, most people spend most of their time doing other useful things.

Nope, love is just one single characteristic of human nature that has evolved to help mankind survive, but human nature has numerous facets.

Nope, we are human beings who just happen to have the ability to love occasionally and at appropriate times.

Sounds like some New Age religious concept from the 60s hippy movement. The statement is otherwise gibberish.

Cris

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

Cris: Or some have given up on ever persuading Nelson to give evidence for his theories and would not bother.....

Yes, unconditional love would destroy ethics, if it existed.

Somtimes people come close. This emotion often destroys duty and morality.

Love is a chemical reaction within the brain. I imagine that it could be every bit as destructive as heroin, if unchecked.

Balance in all things.

Sushi!,
    Xev

16. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

So Nelson do you believe love is a force that can break through all barriers and obstacles?

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Yes exactly. Anything to excess always seems to create distortion and chaos. Just like a new toy, it is played with continuously to the exclusion of everything else, until finally boredom results and other activities come back into the field of view. I strongly suspect that truthseeker feels he has discovered the panacea that will cure all the world’s ills. He needs some practical lessons before he realizes his mistake. But you, tinker, tyler, and truthseeker, are all about the same age, but apart from ts you are all fairly well balanced. Is it that ts is simply not prepared to listen to the wisdom of others? And I don’t mean us, but there must have been other sources of knowledge that he must have been exposed. This is his natural arrogance I guess that prevents him from learning from others. I guess he must find his own way but at this rate it is going to take him a lifetime to just cover the basics. Sigh!

Cris

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

Cris:
    Yes, I notice that in some lovers, the way they absolutly dote on each other for a while, then drift or break apart. I wonder whether I will avoid such a trap if I fall in love again.

Me, ha ha, I am too busy with finals!

A good lesson in the 'school of hard knocks' is always in order.

Sushi!,
    Xev

19. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Cris ...

Yes, I guess I be dense, since ...

"Love tends to create a favorable enviroment for successful
    procreation as well as post-birth nurture"

still makes me wonder where your head is at when you make a
    statement like that and then blithely make a connection with
    evolution.

If 'love', an 'emotion' be the result of evolution, what other 'emotions'
    are similarly a result of 'evolution'?

Curious.

Take care

20. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

"Love is purely a creation of the human imagination, the most important example of how the imagination outruns the creature it inhibits."

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

I will prove you wrong in one quote...

The Love I speak here is completly unconditional. Since you don't know what unconditional Love is, as you state above, you don't even know what I'm talking about!

Cactus Jack,

Yes.

Love,
    Nelson

22. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Chagur,

Ok I understand.

I start from the assumption that man evolved. That means that everything that man is is the result of evolution. I’m arguing from the perspective of why did evolution favor a particular attribute or trait and then try to make sense of it. All, or most of your emotions have survived because they either aided in survival or were neutral.

Hate for example we could say was beneficial since it encouraged man to fight off predators. Love is useful since it encourages man to care for his offspring.

Fear is useful because it prepares you for either fight or flight – ultimately survival is the goal. If the trait did not aid survival then it would die out.

Does that help?
    Cris

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

No, he didn't state that. In any case;

Argumentum ad hominem
    Appeal to authority
    And an appeal to ignorence.

Sushi!,
    Xev