What is mathematics in chemistry

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Beaconator, Mar 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I mean I understand balancing an equation, but what does heat pressure and the other variables equate to before durring and after a reaction?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Things like heat - generally measured in Joules - are also conserved.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Is there an ambient temperature for every element?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Like a min or max before each element ceased to hold its container?

like a pvnrt that couldn’t be held in glass even as a solution.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  8. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Ipso defagoi the highest temp any group of elements could “sustain” is the same as the center of the earth

9. Dicart Registered Senior Member

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Pressure in gas reactions fulfils the same function as concentration in reactions in solution. So for example, equilibrium constants, usually given the symbol K, can be expressed in either. For example, with a reaction A +B <-> C + D, the equilibrium constant is K = [C].[D]/[A].[ B ] , where [N] is the concentration or pressure of the product or reactant in question.

(If, instead of one mole of a species in a balanced reaction, you have n moles, then you raise the concentration to the nth power. So for example so 2A+B would imply [A]². [ B ] in the denominator.)

The free energy change of the reaction is related to the equilibrium constant by ΔG = -RTlnK = ΔH -TΔS.

H is enthalpy, the sum of internal energy and PV work done on the atmosphere during the reaction, since most chemical reactions take place exposed to the atmosphere, i.e. H=U +PV.

S is entropy, and T is absolute temperature.

So there is your linkage between pressure, or concentration, of reactants and products with energy, entropy and temperature.

There is another family of relationships between pressure or concentration, activation energy, temperature and rate of reaction, but that's another story (Arrhenius equation etc).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    TonyYuan likes this.
  11. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

25/H^25 and so on should provide an ambient temperature?

12. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Equations don’t really andwer my questions... real world examples might. Or more specifically those equations don’t answer my questions...

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. Ambient temperature is a property of the environment - not something in the environment.

Some how I don't think you're talking about the matter states solid, liquids and gases.

sideshowbob likes this.
  14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'm not surprised, considering you are as mad as a box of frogs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I really only replied in case other readers might expect some kind of an informed response.

But I can have a go at finding you an example, if you can manage to phrase a question in an understandable way. Though it's been many years since I last did these calculations and I don't have a copy of the Rubber Book at home, with all the necessary enthalpies and entropies of formation, so I'd have to try to find the numbers on the internet.

But, whether this thread goes anywhere or not, it belongs in Chemistry, not Physics'n'Maths. I'll ask if James wants to move it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

That makes no sense. If a sample of all the elements were placed in room, then all the elements would be at room temperature or in other words at ambient temperature.
    I think you are asking here does each element have a different vaporization temperature (for a given pressure). The answer to that question is yes. If that is not your question then try again using more specific language.
    No. You can heat elements to temperatures higher than the center of the sun and they will not change. The elements will ionize but they will still be the same element.
    25 divided by hydrogen raised to the 25th power? That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

exchemist likes this.
  16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But then, he is barking......

17. Dicart Registered Senior Member

Yes, but he is barking a lot.
    10 power 25 is a lot.

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

About 16.7 moles.

sideshowbob likes this.
  19. Dicart Registered Senior Member

Very good.

20. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Therefore it is impossible for something in the environment to effect the ambience and we are missing some huge part of thermodynamics!

and to the second part... yes I have a one track mind

21. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

And if I touched them would the instantly reach my body temp or would it take time?

22. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If you understood it... it wouldn’t be homework would it?
    Fine sigma h^25 to 1+h^n-1 such that mass is equal....

23. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

So basically an explosive reaction without any change in temp. Hmm wish I knew that years ago!!!! Dolts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.