What is Melanin and what exactly does it do?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I asked this because I find a lot of African Americans believe that menalin is more than just skin protection from the harmful rays of the sun. They believe in has properties that allows them greater sensual perceptions, and that it is a sought after molecule by mainstream science.

I don't know much about it, so I will be interested in finding out what it actually is, and what it's capabilities are, and if it is a super chemical that affords highly melanated individuals with heightened everything.

thanks
    jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

[citation needed]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

This isn't a scholarly citation, but is the basic understanding in that pan-african communitiy.

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Melanin is a skin pigment, or a group of aromatic organic chemical species that absorb sunlight.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

He's referring to one person and misrepresenting what that person says. Less than a minute into his "video" evidence, the speaker explains that he is referring to ancient writings about Africa and Africans.

In the end, he's overstating a less than formal discussion of neuromelanin in the historical record, apparently in order to represent African Americans as widely believing something I don't even hear from empowerment radicals I've known.

It's kind of weird. But that's the thing; I'm always dubious about novel theses that can only be supported by saying, "Here, watch this YouTube video", because apparently this or that advocate before me is unable to explain what they are talking about. Every time I come across it, the pitch turns out to be a con job.