WHAT IS THE ALCUBIERRE “WARP” DRIVE?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Piss off.

I don't spend my life on the web. I said couldn't find a reference, so if you want something, you find it, Maybe my search terms were wring. Big deal. I offered a comment, not a red flag for someone to attack.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Gee, I did say please. For someone who likes to attack others very often and and at that with trademark F word and similar liberally applied, I'm thinking your last comment there is a little rich.
    Bottom line - you were speaking out your arse, and haven't got the decency to admit it. Got it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Here's another paper on warp drive posibilities for one day in the future, hopefully.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/0712.1649v6.pdf

Warp Drive: A New Approach:

Abstract

Certain classes of higher dimensional models suggest that the Casimir effect is a candidate for the cosmological constant. In this paper we demonstrate that a sufficiently advanced civilization could, in principal, manipulate the radius of the extra dimension to locally adjust the value of the cosmological constant. This adjustment could be tuned to generate an expansion/contraction of spacetime around a spacecraft creating an exotic form of field-propulsion. Due to the fact that spacetime expansion itself is not restricted by relativity, a faster-than-light ‘warp drive’ could be created. Calculations of the energy requirements of such a drive are performed and an ‘ultimate’ speed limit, based on the Planckian limits on the size of the extra dimensions is found.

VIII. CONCLUSIONS

In this paper we have calculated the vacuum energy due to extra dimensional graviton contributions to the Casimir energy and associated this energy with the cosmological constant. It has been shown that this energy is intimately related to the size of the extra dimension. We have picked the ADD model, however similar approaches can be used for alternative models, for example the RS model of warped extra dimension where a similar relation can be found. We have proposed that a sufficiently advanced civilization could utilize this relation to generate a localized expansion/contraction of spacetime creating a ‘warp bubble’ in which to travel at arbitrarily high velocities. One vital aspect of future research would be how to locally manipulate an extra dimension. String theory suggests that dimensions are globally held compact by strings wrapping around them [6], [9]. If this is indeed the case, then it may be possible to even locally increase or decrease the string tension, or even locally counter the effects of some string winding modes. This would achieve the desired effect of changing the size of the extra dimensions which would lead to propulsion under this model. It would thus be prudent to research this area further and perform calculations as to the energies required to affect an extra dimension and to try and relate this energy to the acceleration a spacecraft might experience.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.